Being Seen and Self-Sabotage

Options
Whenever I make progress on my weight loss to the point where anyone comments on it or I feel that it's become a visible change - I in some way, either subtly or not, start to self-sabotage. I stop tracking, I'll come home and eat a whole pizza. I'll do something to throw it all off-course. It makes me uncomfortable that suddenly my body - always this coat of invisibility - is up for discussion even in a positive way. I've finally gotten to see it as just resistance to the process, just fear, but I'm curious if anyone else experiences this and has found ways around it?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not like people mentioning how I look either. Are you lifting weights or perhaps doing yoga? Both of those help with body awareness.
  • lustrata
    lustrata Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have done these off and on, but way too slapdash and that's probably why they haven't stuck. I am trying to get the exercise piece this time and that's making all the difference in having progress. I feel just...somehow, scared and happy at the same time when I look at the scale. If that makes any sense.

Maybe now's the time!
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you are a member of a gym, try attending the classes. There are people and instructors that help you to keep attending. The classes are a easy way to stay exercising regularly.
  • josephanthony88
    josephanthony88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think from my personal experience you have get yourself an accountability partner
  • josephanthony88
    Options
    Accountability partners are basically people whom you acknowledge self destructive behavior with and you are comfortable to be held accountable from , for me its really helped me get out that self destructive behavior and get on track BTW I guess kinda made up this pharse not sure its backed by actual literature out there , I just wanted to encourage you and share what's worked for me .
  • josephanthony88
    Options
    Just so everyone knows i really didn't come with the phrase ,lol, its a huge thing and it works , I need more so add me please
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think a whole lot of people feel this way, to be quite honest. It's not uncommon for people to put on fat as a sort of invisibility shield, especially against any sort of sexual attention. You're definitely not alone, but it would probably help to talk the issue over with a therapist with experience in eating disorders. Even if you don't specifically have one, your issue is one that a therapist with that background will have seen before.
  • sew205
    sew205 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I totally hear what you're saying. Being seen can make you feel very vulnerable. I find that I simultaneously want to be seen and to be invisible. And I also agree with the very wise previous poster that it would be potentially really helpful to talk to a therapist. Please feel free to add me as a friend - I appreciate people who are self-aware.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    that's interesting to hear. I'm the opposite. If I feel that I've lost a significant amount of weight and I don't hear from my friends and family that it's noticeable, it's very frustrating to me, and has in the past led to some big setbacks. I have recently started getting compliments from people and it is a huge motivator for me. I don't NEED the compliments, but kind words from those close to me is warming and gets me excited to keep going.
  • bodybuildchic32
    bodybuildchic32 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, and actually I have an opposite issue rooted in the same way. The motivation behind my bodybuilding was to compensate. I show off that I'm not weird, nerdy,introverted. I wanted revenge against my childhood bullies being the most healthy of them, prove to my Bodybuilding Doctor sister I'm just as good, to my parents that as the youngest I am not a baby, but capable! But why sabotage myself? Because I didn't believe I'm capable,cool,or good enough! My fitness goals were a "fake it til you make it"

I am practicing Buddhism and learning to forgive others and love myself...and I still want to bodybuild but for positive personal reasons!

But since I had self defeating thoughts and not finding a loving motivation, I would binge and make excuses "it's the holidays-bday-etc"I sabotaged to reward or punish myself.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I like when people comment on how I've lost weight, but when I see that I lost weight (physically or on the scale #), I will be like wow I ate whatever I wanted and lost! Then I end up gaining. I don't even know why I do that. I'm there with you. I know that I personally have issues with the way that I see myself and have since I was very young. I am working on them. Like others have said, yoga is great.
  • Alphabuena
    Alphabuena Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It made me uncomfortable but not enough to stray from my path. I think I have a secret enjoyment for the attention but at the same time it's kind of scary to shed my skin. It's not my goal to be noticed but it IS my goal to be the healthiest I can be one day at a time. This includes occasional pizza, and cheesecake. Sometimes cheesecake really does make me feel better. Please keep moving forward!
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's me. I totally don't mind being a fly on the wall. If I ever get hit on, I'm mortified. I've realized this over time that maybe I've held on to this weight for this long because I don't mind being invisible. I'm definitely doing this for ME and my health, NOT so other people will think my body looks better and to attract their commentary.
  • lustrata
    lustrata Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all - thanks for the comments and support and sharing of your stories. Please do feel free to friend me if you think that will be of help to you, I tend to blog a lot about this angle of my weight loss situation/human struggle. Also, I'm glad to say I have a great therapist, but am dealing with a few things regarding insurance that once resolved this month hopefully will allow me to get to see her again and get cracking on this part of the puzzle. I have to say, even just being straightforward about it here feels more than a bit vulnerable to me, but we're learning and changing, right?

So I don't go off on 10 tangents about this, suffice to say, it feels very much an involved process. As much as the actual weight loss. That's why I've told myself that we're not in a rush, this is a year of paying attention and small changes I don't hate. And, I guess, coming to terms with the fact that taking care of yourself isn't about fishing for compliments and input any more than not taking care of yourself shields you from the opinions of others.

It's you, bottom line, and how you want to carry your spirit around.