Exercise and nutrition

Options
Hi all

Have reached my 'magic number' on the scales after losing over 60lbs over an extended period and have maintained now for around 2 months.

I have recently started an exercise program that consists of using gym machines (for strength/resistance) and floor exercises (for core and abs) that also includes a little cardio. I walk daily, around 3/4 miles with dogs as well.

My Program has been put together with a personal trainer. Training 3 times during the week.
(For various different reasons at the moment I can't use free weights and follow a program such as strong lifts, but that will be the ultimate aim)

My question is:
I have a lot of midriff fat to lose but also don't want to lose any more actual weight. So want to burn the fat and reduce BF percentage (which is approx 29-31% best guess from
Various ways of measuring). I also realise that I may increase weight wise whilst training and this is fine. No problems with that.

So should I:
: Eat at deficit when not training and eat at maintenance when training?

: Eat at maintenance all the time?

: some other suggestion ?

I have another session with the PT yet and will also ask the same question but wanted to ask here as there is a wealth of knowledge out in mfp land.
Thanks

Replies

• taraswarts721
    taraswarts721 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My trainer is also a nutritionist and how u eat is 80% of the results u will see. What and how soon u eat after a workout is (no more than an hour after) critical. Higher protein to rebuild muscle tare. Also core exercises will help a lot for the area u want to loose
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My trainer is also a nutritionist and how u eat is 80% of the results u will see. What and how soon u eat after a workout is (no more than an hour after) critical. Higher protein to rebuild muscle tare. Also core exercises will help a lot for the area u want to loose

Your trainer is right that diet plays a bigger role in body composition than exercise, although both are needed this particular case. He is wrong about what and how soon you eat after your workout making a significant difference. That has no support from scientific studied. The post workout anabolic window is far bigger, and total daily protein consumption is far more important than getting it in some magic window of opportunity following ones workout. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/melissa-edmonds/is-it-important-to-consume-protein-right-after-working-out_b_9418912.html

To the original poster. Check out this thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same place... At the advice of someone else, I just started eating at a slight deficit on my non-weight lifting days and then just above maintenance on the days that I lift. It's too soon to see if it'll do anything. And I'm pretty sure that it calculates out to be right around maintenance for the week.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was in the same shoes as you around November after losing 80 pounds I hit my weight goal but still needed to drop fat. I tried the recomp route for about 3 months and I personally didn't see hardly any results besides lifting heavier weight, so now I am trying the bulk and cut method and it's been about a month and I already see results. The plan is to drop well below my target weight in a defect but lifting weights, than eat in a very small surplus whole lifting to get back muscle. Recomp may be easier on you than it was for me but I'm the type of person that needs to see results and recomp just wasn't doing it for me personally.
  • lynch17
    lynch17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'm working my way through the recomp thread. I suspected that recomp could be the way to go.

I will also read up about bulk and cut and make careful considerations before deciding on that way.

I'm a kind of need to see results person but I am learning to be more patient.
    I've worked for a considerable time to lose the weight so I guess a while longer now to get the dreaded excess fat won't make any difference.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    I wish I have bookmarked the thread, but I didn't. There was a guy who posted here who had lost a lot of weight and tried the bulk and cut. It didn't work for him. He would put on fat not muscle. He tried a few times, then decided to do a recomp and that worked for him. This is one of those areas where finding what works for you is needed.
  • lynch17
    lynch17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks #rileysowner yes I think I agree with finding what works for yourself. At least i can make that decision being more informed with thanks to the replies and other threads that are around.