Training for a half marathon??

Options
2»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you've got plenty of time. google half marathon plans and find one you like. I used the asics plan
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    **Update/question**

Hey again fine people! I have an update and question, since you all have helped me so much thus far.

First, it's been not quite a month since I decided to start training, and I went from running 1.25 miles to 3.3 this past weekend. Very excited about that!! :) Thanks for all the info from you guys, and sharing stories to make me realize I CAN do this. My friend on the other hand has been going through some things, and has not stepped on her treadmill yet. I may be running this half all alone! :neutral:

Secondly, my question. I understand rest days are important, but just how "resty" do they have to be? I have been running six days a week, and honestly would really prefer some type of cardio 7 days a week. When I set a fitness goal I'm pretty much "go hard or go home" about it. How many days per week max, am I "allowed" to run? On the days I don't run, is it okay to use an elliptical or bicycle to get my cardio in?

Thank you for any input!
  • natyack
    natyack Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    **Update/question**

Hey again fine people! I have an update and question, since you all have helped me so much thus far.

First, it's been not quite a month since I decided to start training, and I went from running 1.25 miles to 3.3 this past weekend. Very excited about that!! :) Thanks for all the info from you guys, and sharing stories to make me realize I CAN do this. My friend on the other hand has been going through some things, and has not stepped on her treadmill yet. I may be running this half all alone! :neutral:

Secondly, my question. I understand rest days are important, but just how "resty" do they have to be? I have been running six days a week, and honestly would really prefer some type of cardio 7 days a week. When I set a fitness goal I'm pretty much "go hard or go home" about it. How many days per week max, am I "allowed" to run? On the days I don't run, is it okay to use an elliptical or bicycle to get my cardio in?

Thank you for any input!

You really want to rest a bit in between runs to prevent injury. Speaking from experience, it's really easy to develop an overuse injury in your knee, ankle, etc if you don't allow your body to recover between runs. However, you could still do a half hour to an hour of walking and stretching on the days you don't run just to stay in the habit of getting up and moving.
  • natyack
    Options
    PS- great progress!!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    Thanks, @natyack! Do you suggest a rest/walking day in between each run? I.e. Don't run two days in a row?
  • natyack
    Options
    I would say to run every other day.. I am training for a 10 mile race right now, and I run on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are my long runs. So I do light or low impact workouts on Sundays and Tuesdays, and Friday I relax :)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I ended up running my first two alone. It's still really fun and total strangers cheer you on.

I would do a rest day with walking, maybe yoga and lots of stretching. You'll want to give yourself more rest days as you build mileage. Once you start doing really long training runs, you'll need more recovery.

However, I ran 6 days a week or so until I got to the point I could run over 6 miles in an hour. Then I did days of the bike, row machine, elliptical, walking at high incline, etc. (and I cut the intensity on most of this and the duration to only about 30 minutes).

It is highly individual and I think if you listen to your body, you can figure out when to pull back and do less cardio.

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @natyack! Do you suggest a rest/walking day in between each run? I.e. Don't run two days in a row?

The number of rests days required can vary from person-to-person, and does tend to increase with age.

Look at some of the online training schedules for ideas, and be mindful about how you feel. 3-4 days per/week would get you to the finish line, provided you use one of those to stretch you distance until 13.1 miles becomes reasonable.

Most beginner half-marathon schedule have you gradually work up to around 10 miles for your long run. I think you will find that your first ten-miler will be easier than the first time you ran a mile.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

That is one option.

The plan I follow has a three day block of medium easy medium with a long run on the weekend.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

I use the Monday rest day for gym and stretching, Thursday I add a gym and stretch session.
    There are other programs out there. Choose one, see if it fits, stick to it.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options
    All good advice, thank you. It is much appreciated.
    This morning I thought I'd go for a treadmill run (it's raining) but at about a mile I could feel I was not into it and my calves were just not having it. So I switched to walking, then a bit of cycling to change it up. Definitely will listen to my body and I think if I start taking more rests from running, I'll feel better on run days.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    tcatcarson wrote: »
    You can totally train for, and complete, a half marathon next year.

I keep touting this as a great long term planner - http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-smartcoach/3057.html

Count back from race day and look at working in 12 week blocks. You'll do it.

This.

I'm training for my first half marathon in August and that's WITH a specific time goal in mind and I feel like I have plenty of time (I will repeating part of the program because I'll be running more than 13 miles before August...it peaks out at about 15 miles.)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'll also suggest you pop in here if you're getting serious about setting running goals for yourself:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10344092/march-2016-running-challenge
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am jumping in here a little late but really want to follow your progress - as you have already figured out it is quite possible for you to run a half (13.1) I have been running for about 3 months now and did a half this last weekend so yes it is quite possible.

As for the resting... the most important thing is LISTEN TO YOUR BODY - it will let you know when you need rest. The day after I ran a half I went out and ran 5 miles, I was really interested to see what my body could do and how it would react... two days ago I did 8 miles and then last night I did 2 miles and it was a struggle... so our bodies all react differently at different times. I am taking the day off today in light of the " exhausting " run I had last night and by tomorrow I should be good to go.

Look forward to following your story.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Secondly, my question. I understand rest days are important, but just how "resty" do they have to be? I have been running six days a week, and honestly would really prefer some type of cardio 7 days a week. When I set a fitness goal I'm pretty much "go hard or go home" about it. How many days per week max, am I "allowed" to run? On the days I don't run, is it okay to use an elliptical or bicycle to get my cardio in? Thank you for any input!

Anything not-running is good for a rest day. Walk, swim, bike, elliptical, hula hoop, lifting, etc. The thing you are avoiding is the repeated impact from running.

How long have you been running 6 days a week? If you've already built up to it and it's been at least 3 weeks and you aren't feeling poorly and are recovering...you are probably fine.

Age and personal injury prone-ness can have a big impact. I think a rest day in between is very crucial when you start...but later I am in support of adding days. Overall weekly mileage can be a good injury prevention too, you don't want your one long run a week to be hugely taxing on you.

My personal preference is 3 days with mandatory rest days in between up until you are running 3 miles on each run. Then you can add a 4th day. When you can run about an hour each run without stopping, you can add a 5th day. Obviously this works if you are patient and willing to back off. You might have to go slower on your runs, take them easier, and occasionally cancel a run and take a rest day. I am a fan of your long run not being more than 25-33% of your total weekly mileage and of increasing weekly mileage by no more than 10% (but preferably closer to 5% if you aren't taking cut back weeks). So having a 4th and 5th day helps your long run from becoming too much of your weekly mileage. But this is just personal preference, I am not an expert.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Secondly, my question. I understand rest days are important, but just how "resty" do they have to be? I have been running six days a week, and honestly would really prefer some type of cardio 7 days a week. When I set a fitness goal I'm pretty much "go hard or go home" about it. How many days per week max, am I "allowed" to run? On the days I don't run, is it okay to use an elliptical or bicycle to get my cardio in? Thank you for any input!

Anything not-running is good for a rest day. Walk, swim, bike, elliptical, hula hoop, lifting, etc. The thing you are avoiding is the repeated impact from running.

How long have you been running 6 days a week? If you've already built up to it and it's been at least 3 weeks and you aren't feeling poorly and are recovering...you are probably fine.

Age and personal injury prone-ness can have a big impact. I think a rest day in between is very crucial when you start...but later I am in support of adding days. Overall weekly mileage can be a good injury prevention too, you don't want your one long run a week to be hugely taxing on you.

My personal preference is 3 days with mandatory rest days in between up until you are running 3 miles on each run. Then you can add a 4th day. When you can run about an hour each run without stopping, you can add a 5th day. Obviously this works if you are patient and willing to back off. You might have to go slower on your runs, take them easier, and occasionally cancel a run and take a rest day. I am a fan of your long run not being more than 25-33% of your total weekly mileage and of increasing weekly mileage by no more than 10% (but preferably closer to 5% if you aren't taking cut back weeks). So having a 4th and 5th day helps your long run from becoming too much of your weekly mileage. But this is just personal preference, I am not an expert.

A lot of truth to this. I got hit hard by the running bug when I started in fall of 2014. I ignonred the 10% rule because I 'felt fine' and you get this amazing feeling from being a 'non-runner' to feeling like you can run for miles every day.

I ended up getting PTT and hard to cut back for a couple of months.

• Meganthedogmom
    Options
    Thanks guys! Wonderful advice. I will listen to my body.

@GBrady43068 I just joined that group a few days ago! :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Options

I love the specific suggestions here. Thank you.

I haven't been running 6 days a week for long - basically since I started this thread. Before that I would just do some type of exercise 6x weekly - walking, running, elliptical, body weights, etc.
    Just since last month I've really been focusing on running.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    **Update/question**

Thank you for any input!

My advice: It is possible to run everyday, but you need to take into account your runs a little better. This would mean incorporating "recovery runs" into your routine. For instance:

Day 1: Distance Run
    Day 2: Recovery Run (~30 min conversational pace)
    Day 3: Moderate Run (conversational pace but a few minutes longer than recovery run)
    Day 4: Tempo Run (Middle third of run increase pace, same distance as moderate run)
    Day 5: Recovery Run
    Day 6: Moderate Run
    Day 7: Rest

But if you can, I would recommend two days in the gym instead of moderate runs. Work on core, legs, and some upper body. About 4 months before the race, find a program like others have mentioned that will finish off your training.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I started running about 5 years ago and ran a half marathon about 18 months after I started. I had signed up for one 6 months earlier, but was injured during my training, so I lost a bit of time, so I ran 10k instead.
    It was doable, but not easy. Be really cautious about your speed and train smart. If you have any niggling injuries, don't ignore them, see a doctor or physio. I would not be running 6 days a week, I trained about four days a week with either an actual rest day or doing something else in between.
    The best advice that I wish I'd had then was to work on core strength, and don't ignore your hips. Stability in the central part of your body is easy to overlook when you want to get the miles under your feet, but for me it's the key to running any distances.
    (I'm starting all over again at the moment, I ran 10km on Dec 31st but is was woefully slow and way harder than it should have been. Time to get some weight off and to get running regularly again).