Helpppppp

Options
Hey guys, so heres the deal.. Im a new mommy.. 18kgs overweight simce giving birth, ive never been a runner but now whilst trying to get fitter for my baby ive tried running... Errmmm actually jogging... Ive been managing about 4.2 km in abour 36-39 minutes..am i horribly slow?? Am i better off just walking than running that slow?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, you are fine. Speed will increase with time. Continue jogging and up the pace slowly.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. You are faster than everyone else not trying at all. Have you tried the couch to 5k program / app? It sounds like something you might like.
  • sakshik01
    sakshik01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thats so good to hear... I was quite thrilled with myself till an a** of a neighbor made me feel like quite a fool
  • sakshik01
    Options
    Couch to 5k sounds good!! Thanks so much.. Shall look it up right away!
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Personally as a lifelong runner, and since you asked...my personal opinion is that, jogging is terrible for you. If you're going at a pace that you can walk just as fast, personally I'd walk. Especially if you're new to running.

Jogging does nothing for your cardiovascular as your heart rate doesn't get up high enough and it's a very hard up-down motion on your body. And flat out if you're looking to drop weight you would burn more walking without all the pounding on your legs. After I had my son, I did power walking until I felt comfortable to go to a decent canter again, some people think that powerwalking looks silly but I dont care! And it never matters what you look like as long as you're doing it and doing it in a way that wont hurt yourself. Once you start to get into it couch to 5k is a great program I have several friends who have had success with it.
  • sakshik01
    Options
    Thanks so much for this!!
    What do you reckon is a decent pace to start with though?
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Have you tried run/walk intervals? I've been running for a couple of years and am certainly not a speedster, but I find that I can maintain a pretty decent pace running 5-6 minutes and walking 1-2, depending on terrain and weather.

Good luck with your journey!
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    Options
    ewhsweets wrote: »
    Personally as a lifelong runner, and since you asked...my personal opinion is that, jogging is terrible for you. If you're going at a pace that you can walk just as fast, personally I'd walk. Especially if you're new to running.

Jogging does nothing for your cardiovascular as your heart rate doesn't get up high enough and it's a very hard up-down motion on your body. And flat out if you're looking to drop weight you would burn more walking without all the pounding on your legs. After I had my son, I did power walking until I felt comfortable to go to a decent canter again, some people think that powerwalking looks silly but I dont care! And it never matters what you look like as long as you're doing it and doing it in a way that wont hurt yourself. Once you start to get into it couch to 5k is a great program I have several friends who have had success with it.

I'm sure this is true when you are in shape. And I don't know the OP's story but i assure you with my short legs and being out of shape I can 'run' at a 4.0 pace and still get my heart rate up plenty. I just started the C25K (which is not about speed at all) and am still doing intervals and if my rate went any higher i would be concerned so I'm not sure that's always true. Perhaps I'm missing something. I am new at this too.
  • sakshik01
    Options

I'm sure this is true when you are in shape. And I don't know the OP's story but i assure you with my short legs and being out of shape I can 'run' at a 4.0 pace and still get my heart rate up plenty. I just started the C25K (which is not about speed at all) and am still doing intervals and if my rate went any higher i would be concerned so I'm not sure that's always true. Perhaps I'm missing something. I am new at this too.

I know right!! My heart rate stuck around pretty decent... Averaged to bout 145 bpm..
  • sakshik01
    Options
    acbraswell wrote: »
    Have you tried run/walk intervals? I've been running for a couple of years and am certainly not a speedster, but I find that I can maintain a pretty decent pace running 5-6 minutes and walking 1-2, depending on terrain and weather.

Good luck with your journey!

I actually figured id build a wee lil stamina and then touch intervals.... But maybe, this is as good a time as any!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. Pick a new neighbour.

Seriously, find ways to hang out with people who lift you up and keep things short and simple with this naysayer.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    Options
    sakshik01 wrote: »

I know right!! My heart rate stuck around pretty decent... Averaged to bout 145 bpm..

Mine was probably worse last night. lol. i hit 165 at one point. Try the C25K. It;s intervals but it's slow and you'll improve quickly! I did the whole program before and lost 50 lbs. But then i had a baby too and i'm back where i started but the program is good.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    That's so good to hear... I was quite thrilled with myself till an a** of a neighbor made me feel like quite a fool

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Don't let anyone else's opinion of your pace influence you and there is no such thing as "jogging" , you're either walking (one foot remains in contact with the ground at all times) or you're running (both feet are off the ground, even briefly, at a the same time).

Generally speaking running burns about twice the calories as walking the only real exception being if you're race walking at 5mph or more. If you decide to keep running rather than walking take your time building up distances and focus on building your aerobic base rather than worrying about speed.

Try to incorporate some cross training into your fitness program (cycling, swimming, weights) to add variety and address muscular imbalances.

Have fun!
  • sakshik01
    Options
    That's so good to hear... I was quite thrilled with myself till an a** of a neighbor made me feel like quite a fool

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Don't let anyone else's opinion of your pace influence you and there is no such thing as "jogging" , you're either walking (one foot remains in contact with the ground at all times) or you're running (both feet are off the ground, even briefly, at a the same time).

Generally speaking running burns about twice the calories as walking the only real exception being if you're race walking at 5mph or more. If you decide to keep running rather than walking take your time building up distances and focus on building your aerobic base rather than worrying about speed.

Try to incorporate some cross training into your fitness program (cycling, swimming, weights) to add variety and address muscular imbalances.

Have fun!

Thanks so much!!

• bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i could NOT go past your post . your child is ADORABLE !!! absolutely love that smile !

as an aside, jogging is still better than walking . whatever gets your heart pumping . and most importantly, you're MOVING . good luck on your journey ! :)
  • sakshik01
    Options
    i could NOT go past your post . your child is ADORABLE !!! absolutely love that smile !

as an aside, jogging is still better than walking . whatever gets your heart pumping . and most importantly, you're MOVING . good luck on your journey ! :)

Awwwww thanks so much!!!
  • sakshik01
    Options

Mine was probably worse last night. lol. i hit 165 at one point. Try the C25K. It;s intervals but it's slow and you'll improve quickly! I did the whole program before and lost 50 lbs. But then i had a baby too and i'm back where i started but the program is good.

165 is super!!! I hit 174 today huffing and puffing away..
    Im super happy the first time i ran i did an average of 9.29 per km and today managed 8.53 per km for 3.7 km..
    Keep moving keep moving huh