Personal trainer experiences?

Options
I've been working out rigorously but feel that I need some more direction. And am not reaching the goals I want to. I love intensity and feel the pressure of the one on one would push me even harder. Had a free workout with one today at my gym, already sore. Please tell me about your experiences and if it is worth the cost.

Replies

• clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer for over two years. I started with one trainer and then switched to another as my goals shifted. I can honestly say that I would not be anywhere near where I am now. I meet with her 2x week. I have had several injuries (none from the gym) in the last two years. She has been able to keep the training me while allowing the injured areas to heal. In the last year I have doubled my deadlifts, and back squat.

I would have probably backed down on training with a couple of the injuries, but a good trainer is worth the money and able to work around any limitation you might have or develop. BUT make sure you get a good one. Certified and has additional education.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    How did you like the trainer you were with for the free session? Is there a time commitment or contract that you have to sign? Find out the details regarding payment and contracts first. Each gym is different.

Also, don't feel the need to go with the first trainer automatically. I was at my gym for several months and observed all of the trainers in action with other clients before choosing mine. This helped me make a good choice. I'm happy with my trainer, but it's all very individualized and dependent on your goals.

My trainer has taught me lots of new exercises and techniques but he's not very knowledgeable regarding nutrition. But, for me that doesn't matter because I've got that part figured out myself.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    a *good* trainer is worth their weight in gold.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    A good trainer WILL help you get results one may have thought improbable. One goal I try to achieve with anyone is pullups.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A good trainer WILL help you get results one may have thought improbable. One goal I try to achieve with anyone is pullups.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's interesting that you set that goal for your clients as i do the same, just not with pullups.

I get my clients to do some simple gymnastics moves. Like handstands, cartwheels, back walk overs, bridges, wall-walks, the splits, and some simple bar movements like skin the cats and pull overs. A lot of them don't seem interested in performing these things at first, but as they progress with me in both strength and flexibility, they generally love being able to "see their body do things they never imagined possible" or "this move should be impossible for someone my age", etc.

To the OP, a trainer who is skilled, passionate, and knowledgeable can be a great asset. I may be biased since it's my profession, but i know that i personally work my best when i have someone pushing me or watching me/there to help me if i fail.

It sounds like you had a free session at your gym where they pitch you their training services. I just want to say if it's a corporate gym i highly advise against you signing a long-term contract and also advise against just letting the gym pick any trainer for you. You really need to find someone you mesh well with, who you believe can help you acheive your goals, and some times (we ARE people) you just will not have that "click" with your trainer. In a case like this i'd prefer to be able to fire that trainer or work with someone else or take my business elsewhere.

It's also important to note that a lot of these corporate gym settings will use high pressure sales techniques to get you to sign up. They don't care about you, your goals, your happiness with your assigned trainer, etc. they just want to lock you into a contract. AND they generally pay trainers less than half of the price you are paying per session. For example, at LA fitness i know they charge 75$ per 30 minute session and the trainers make 12-14$ an HOUR.

take your time to decide and find someone who you trust. good luck!
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ive been training for nearly five months. I was assigned my trainer by the gym and I couldn't be happier. I am 57, he is the same age as my youngest son, but he is a great fit for me. When I met him for my assessment I had never been inside a gym before, hated anything physical, and was suffering with hip and ankle pains which I had been told would need surgery sooner rather than later. He made a few tweaks to my diet, makes me keep a food diary, and pushes me hard. I train with him two days a week, do a Pilates class once a week and some cardio once a week. If he sees me in the gym he always checks up on what I am doing, this week I was having a gentle stroll on the treadmill and he pulled me off and set me up on the cross trainer, which I had never used before. He also messages me to encourage me if he knows I am having a stressful time. I think he is worth every penny and probably more.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I started working out alone and then moved to a personal trainer after about 6 months. I was assigned a female trainer at first from LA Fitness and we really didn't 'click'. She just kinda followed me around while I used machines. My second trainer was a body builder and he really helped me and my husband learn the basic movements of deadlift/squat/etc... to get stronger, but it just wasn't the right format for me. My husband stayed with the trainer longer because that worked for him.

I've learned that I do better with a group bootcamp style instruction. This way their focus isn't completely on me (it just makes me nervous), but I'm still getting the small group attention and structured workouts I really need.

This is just what happens to work for me. Try out the trainer for a few more sessions and if you like it, stick with it. No doubt they will help you achieve your goals!
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love my personal trainer. I came from doing the elliptical and some free weights to doing burpees. Things I never thought I could do, muscles I didn't know I had, all worth the $$ to one.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am very happy with my trainer. First we work on my frozen shoulder then we go into other things that I need. I started lifting and I love kettlebell. So first we started with light or no weights, just to get the technique right.
    4 weeks into it, the mobility of my shoulder increased dramatically, my form is getting better etc.
    I agree, a good trainer is worth a lot, he also showed me exercises I have never heard of and they work wonders for me.
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have worked with a personal trainer in three cycles over the years. Each time, outcomes were better than when I trained on my own. I think that the combination of the trainer's knowledge, ability to see things I don't, and my commitment of time and money all contributed to the result.

So when I decided to start lifting again - after more than a decade away from the weight room - I found someone well-versed in the kind of training I wanted to do and who didn't feel the need to convince me that I should be doing crossfit or something else instead. Once again, it has made a big difference in my form, approach, motivation and progress.

I think the most important thing is to know what you want and to choose a trainer that will help you get it. Don't be afraid to try out two or three people or to stop working with someone if you aren't making the kind of progress that you should be making.
  • AlicCyb
    AlicCyb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I loved my first personal trainer; she totally "got" me and understood where I was at and wanted to be. I also really respect that she was more focused on proper form and opened up my eyes to a lot of workout routines. I also credit a PR on a 15k to her.

The second was very much the "the more weight the better" which doesn't suit for my knees and lunges. I would have switched around but my contract was up and I needed to save the cash for wedding planning.

It's definitely worth it: just be sure to communicate and find the one that works with you.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That was my personal goal when I started taking group training classes.

I think the right personal trainer is worth it. I am not a fan of the big box trainers. Just from what I have seen over the years it is far too cookie cutter and overpriced. I think cost is relative. If it's worth it to you then it's worth it.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    My trainer is amazing, he has helped me go further than I ever really thought I could. Originally the goal was weight loss, he helped me with my diet and we started a good workout plan. Once I got closer to my goal weight, we switched to fitness goals. He has always been very motivational for me and he kept me from getting bored in the gym. 6+ years later, he is still helping me. (although he moved out of town, so it is now more on-line training :( ) We re-evaluate the goals every now and then and come up with plans. It wasn't cheap, but the best money I ever spent.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer. He cares about my goals, listens to me, and pushes me beyond what I thought were my limits. I had a previous experience with a trainer who refused to answer basic questions, constantly made me do silly workouts that didn't promote my building knowledge on my own, and I felt like at the end it was a waste of time. I felt discouraged. However, the trainer I have now has helped me to feel confident and knowledgable on my own, and like I don't "need" him. I know how to add weight to my bench, squat, and deadlift, and I can confidently perform accessory lifts with them.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've had couple of great ones, plus a couple of rubbish ones. ( who didn't last long.). Ranging from £25-40 hour. If you get chance find out a bit more about them and what others think, plus see if you can watch them work. Also see what their payment policies are. ( my previous gym gave discount if you paid by direct debit, which was fine until he walked out. You had to give a months notice from first of month so ended up signing with another guy whether I wanted to or not).
  • twittersbitters
    twittersbitters Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh you are all AMAZING!! Thank you so much for all of the great info! It has given me a lot of info to figure this out. I have decided I definitely want one but have reevaluated going through my gym, they make you sign a contract, and the price is steep. I'm going to look around and talk to more people! Thank you thank you!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    In my experience they range from downright dangerous through to harmless enough but not particularly useful right through to worth their weight in gold.

Look at qualifications, plus a proven track record in whatever it is you're trying to achieve. Recommendations from people with similar goals/mindsets are fantastic.

I'm working with a strength and conditioning coach that is absolutely invaluable. I do one session with him to teach me anything I don't know and look at form and get a 5-7 week program to do on my own. It works well for me but others might need more one-on-one time. I don't lack in motivation for training either - sometimes all you're really paying for is someone to motivate you.
  • twittersbitters
    twittersbitters Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    In my experience they range from downright dangerous through to harmless enough but not particularly useful right through to worth their weight in gold.

Look at qualifications, plus a proven track record in whatever it is you're trying to achieve. Recommendations from people with similar goals/mindsets are fantastic.

I'm working with a strength and conditioning coach that is absolutely invaluable. I do one session with him to teach me anything I don't know and look at form and get a 5-7 week program to do on my own. It works well for me but others might need more one-on-one time. I don't lack in motivation for training either - sometimes all you're really paying for is someone to motivate you.

Thank you! I am motivated and love working out intensely and thought I was killin it in the gym then I had a 25 minute free session with a personal trainer and damn I was more sore than I have been in years. It was eye opening. I feel like I am working in vain without one at this point now! I want the one on one motivation and need to learn more of what is most effective for me.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's interesting that you set that goal for your clients as i do the same, just not with pullups.

I get my clients to do some simple gymnastics moves. Like handstands, cartwheels, back walk overs, bridges, wall-walks, the splits, and some simple bar movements like skin the cats and pull overs. A lot of them don't seem interested in performing these things at first, but as they progress with me in both strength and flexibility, they generally love being able to "see their body do things they never imagined possible" or "this move should be impossible for someone my age", etc.

To the OP, a trainer who is skilled, passionate, and knowledgeable can be a great asset. I may be biased since it's my profession, but i know that i personally work my best when i have someone pushing me or watching me/there to help me if i fail.

It sounds like you had a free session at your gym where they pitch you their training services. I just want to say if it's a corporate gym i highly advise against you signing a long-term contract and also advise against just letting the gym pick any trainer for you. You really need to find someone you mesh well with, who you believe can help you acheive your goals, and some times (we ARE people) you just will not have that "click" with your trainer. In a case like this i'd prefer to be able to fire that trainer or work with someone else or take my business elsewhere.

It's also important to note that a lot of these corporate gym settings will use high pressure sales techniques to get you to sign up. They don't care about you, your goals, your happiness with your assigned trainer, etc. they just want to lock you into a contract. AND they generally pay trainers less than half of the price you are paying per session. For example, at LA fitness i know they charge 75$ per 30 minute session and the trainers make 12-14$ an HOUR.

take your time to decide and find someone who you trust. good luck!

Agreed. Great post.