Popcorn

Options
How do you guys weigh popcorn when you put a whole big bag in microwave but only eat less than half of it?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Pour it out and weigh it before you eat it.
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Smart Pop single servings (100 calories). Helps me with eating too much.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    mwood1234 wrote: »
    I just bought the Smart Pop single servings (100 calories). Helps me with eating too much.

This! Plus popcorn math is a total mind-f%#^^ much easier to just buy the single serving bag and skip the math.
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    mwood1234 wrote: »

This! Plus popcorn math is a total mind-f%#^^ much easier to just buy the single serving bag and skip the math.

I always get 25g bags and bought 85g bags by accident. I assumed that 85g is for corn seeds weight but when u actually cooked them in microwave I don't know if 25 grams of cooked pop corn is the same calories with 25g grams of raw corn seeds in the bag... Am I thinking too much? LOL
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    OT but one of my best recent purchases has been an a vintage air popcorn maker. Much healthier than microwave. Add your own seasonings. Bought at Sam's.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I pop my own kernels. I know they don't all pop so I weigh out a few more grams than I log...I probably won't do that when I'm really trying hard to cut though!

If you ate half the bag...log half the calories, no? Or weigh it before, and then after.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    rpachigo wrote: »
    OT but one of my best recent purchases has been an a vintage air popcorn maker. Much healthier than microwave. Add your own seasonings. Bought at Sam's.

Or just pour your kernels into a brown paper bag (e.g., lunch bag), fold the top down two or three times, and "air pop" it in the microwave. Save money by not buying air popper; save space from not having to store an appliance that only does one thing (although I have this nagging feeling that I've read about some other use for a hot air popper -- can't remember what it was).

If you like oil-popped, you can save money over pre-packaged "microwave" popcorn by popping kernels in oil in a heavy pan (with a heavy lid -- like a Dutch oven) on top of the stove--it helps to give the pot frequent shakes. Control the oil. Choose the oil you like. Save money.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Or just pour your kernels into a brown paper bag (e.g., lunch bag), fold the top down two or three times, and "air pop" it in the microwave. Save money by not buying air popper; save space from not having to store an appliance that only does one thing (although I have this nagging feeling that I've read about some other use for a hot air popper -- can't remember what it was).

If you like oil-popped, you can save money over pre-packaged "microwave" popcorn by popping kernels in oil in a heavy pan (with a heavy lid -- like a Dutch oven) on top of the stove--it helps to give the pot frequent shakes. Control the oil. Choose the oil you like. Save money.

I do the brown paper bag method! Love it. I add oil if I have the room but with other seasonings I often don't need it. I'm gonna have 120 grams tonight :#
  • vannyn42
    vannyn42 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat SkinnyPop almost every night. You can buy it at Costco. 39 calories a cup. It's so good and I have to portion it out into a bowl or else I can eat half a bag!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I do the brown paper bag method! Love it. I add oil if I have the room but with other seasonings I often don't need it. I'm gonna have 120 grams tonight :#

Mmm, lucky you! I've been wanting to have popcorn with olive oil, black pepper, and parmesan for about a week now, but every day there either aren't enough calories left after eating things I needed to eat (either for nutrition or to keep them from going bad), or I'm just too full from eating things I need to eat to want a snack with that much volume. I've been eating my way through an insanely delicious chunk of goat's cheese, though, usually with nuts along side.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    yeessss.....why is popcorn so complicated?? With the smart pop it says 39 calories a cup. Is that with a measuring cup? do I need to break out my scale to weigh a cup = 8 oz? or just fill up a a cup with the popcorn?? :s
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

But then I'd have to buy brown paper bags? An air popper is like $20 bucks (we use ours several times a week) and its been in about 8 years of service.

Simply weigh your kernals before popping. Most of the calories in popcorn are from butter, and salt can cause water retention.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-PopLite-Hot-Air-Popcorn-Popper-04820/5969519

Don't waste your time trying to melt the butter on top, its pops very fast, faster than the butter will melt, we nuke the butter in the micro while the popcorn is popping.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Oh. I was hoping there was free popcorn in here. As you were. :)
    I buy the Orville Redenbacher Lightly Salted. It makes six cups, and I just portion it into even halves- I take half, my husband takes half. Is one of us possibly getting a few extra kernels of corn? Yeah, maybe? And if we were eating popcorn every day that might be a problem, but I doubt an extra 3 calories worth of popcorn is going to kill our diet.
    It's harder when you're alone, though, and since I really don't like cold popcorn, I used my air popper a lot when I lived alone. :(
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I either pop my own or buy the single serving bags. Trying to determine the calories in the regular size bags would require me to live with Sheldon Cooper, since my math is so terrible. The single serving bags are so much easier to track....and on movie nights that may equal 4 bags. :D

jgnwg4whhgk8.jpg
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    So I'm definitely a weigh everything person, but I'll be honest that popcorn is the one thing I don't weigh. We buy the bigger microwave bags. Then I have a big bowl that has measuring lines inside it so I measure out approximately 4 cups. I know it's not super accurate but it certainly hasn't impacted my weight loss. I eat popcorn several times a week. I don't buy the individual bags because I'm usually splitting it with my kids or husband.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just buy the kirkland low fat microwave popcorn and then eat the bag...with a bit of melted butter. Only 280 calories for the lot.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of 'Proper Popcorn' - I weigh out 20g on my scale....simples!
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    plain popcorn is about 20 cal a cup unseasoned or 30 some in a microwave bag. Why sweat a inaccurate cup 20 or 30 calories in the scheme of things is not a big deal. The pop corn I eat I split the bag with my husband and we enjoy it it is about 120 calories a few more or less is not going to stop my weight loss or my maintenance. Don't sweat the small stuff.