• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    momee92 wrote: »
    I have a total of 96 lbs to lose, down 14 so 82 left.... I've been working with a trainer and a nutritionist as part of a challenge I am doing. I don't know about NEED a protein drink but you do need to get adequate protein, every day. I asked my trainer which shake she recommends that does not have high calories or added sugars and high carbs. So, I don't use the drink every day, only when I'm short on time or am not reaching my protein through the meals and snacks I planned. I will take half a scoop and put it in coffee instead of sweetener or creamer or I mix it with greek yogurt and fruit and spinach and water to make a breakfast drink..... and usually I don't need more than half a scoop on the days I use it. She recommended MusclePharm Combat. I have the Vanilla. Its decent. A little sweet, but I hate sweet stuff. I'm not fat from ice cream, hand me the chips. I plan the powder in my day, just like I do all other meals and snacks. Its got to fit my calories and other macros.

I should note, I am lifting while I am losing weight. My trainer has told me now to go for higher weight and lower reps but I mix it up a little, as some classes I take are lighter weights and more reps. But on my own I go all out and try to lift heavy. I have lost 14 lbs in 8 weeks and I am confident that while that may not seem like a lot, my body composition is changing. I can tell in pictures.

Good luck!

Sounds like your trainer knows what she's doing. 14 pounds in 8 weeks is excellent progress.

If you're not crazy about the taste of MusclePharm, try out Optimum Nutrution. Only 120 calories for 30 grams of protein and they're the tastiest I've tried.

You haven't tried Trutein yet, have you? :)

Sure ain't. May need to look into it if it's that good.

My favorites before were ON and Dymatize Gourmet, but I think Trutein blows them both away. I like the whey/casein/egg blend also, and the casein makes the shakes thicker/creamier than pure whey shakes (I mix it with nonfat milk).

Tastes better than broccoli and has even more protein! :D

Is it as thick as straight casein?
    I can't handle the foaminess of casein but if it's somewhere in between, that may be ok.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have a total of 96 lbs to lose, down 14 so 82 left.... I've been working with a trainer and a nutritionist as part of a challenge I am doing. I don't know about NEED a protein drink but you do need to get adequate protein, every day. I asked my trainer which shake she recommends that does not have high calories or added sugars and high carbs. So, I don't use the drink every day, only when I'm short on time or am not reaching my protein through the meals and snacks I planned. I will take half a scoop and put it in coffee instead of sweetener or creamer or I mix it with greek yogurt and fruit and spinach and water to make a breakfast drink..... and usually I don't need more than half a scoop on the days I use it. She recommended MusclePharm Combat. I have the Vanilla. Its decent. A little sweet, but I hate sweet stuff. I'm not fat from ice cream, hand me the chips. I plan the powder in my day, just like I do all other meals and snacks. Its got to fit my calories and other macros.

I should note, I am lifting while I am losing weight. My trainer has told me now to go for higher weight and lower reps but I mix it up a little, as some classes I take are lighter weights and more reps. But on my own I go all out and try to lift heavy. I have lost 14 lbs in 8 weeks and I am confident that while that may not seem like a lot, my body composition is changing. I can tell in pictures.

Good luck!

Sounds like your trainer knows what she's doing. 14 pounds in 8 weeks is excellent progress.

If you're not crazy about the taste of MusclePharm, try out Optimum Nutrution. Only 120 calories for 30 grams of protein and they're the tastiest I've tried.

My favorites before were ON and Dymatize Gourmet, but I think Trutein blows them both away. I like the whey/casein/egg blend also, and the casein makes the shakes thicker/creamier than pure whey shakes (I mix it with nonfat milk).

I can't handle the foaminess of casein but if it's somewhere in between, that may be ok.

I've never drank straight casein shakes, so I couldn't tell you. It's 40% whey, 40% casein and 20% egg protein though, so I wouldn't imagine it's anywhere near as thick as a straight casein shake.

You can order samples from their website - that way you aren't stuck with a 2 lb. tub of it if you don't like it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I've never drank straight casein shakes, so I couldn't tell you. It's 40% whey, 40% casein and 20% egg protein though, so I wouldn't imagine it's anywhere near as thick as a straight casein shake.

You can order samples from their website - that way you aren't stuck with a 2 lb. tub of it if you don't like it.

Cool beans.
    I've read some interesting stuff about whey/casein mixes and effects on protein synthesis. Haven't really researched it though so not sure how much is broscience (tho it's likely majoring in the minors at the least).
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    One of my go to protein sources has been liquid egg whites by MuscleEgg. It tastes great and doesn't have any added sugar or sodium. You should only add a protein supplement to your diet if you aren't getting enough in your daily food intake. Your body can only process so much protein and the rest is just burned as energy instead of being used for cell repair, if you're eating in a deficit, if not it will go to fat storage. For a woman, you can typically get by eating .5 to .8 grams of protein per lean body mass and meet your needs if you are lifting. Protein ratio of .8 is recommended but not necessary in my opinion. Eating extra protein is not going to make your muscles bigger faster.
  • dogman8374
    dogman8374 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sndarling9 wrote: »
    Added protein is not necessary. Women only need about 50-60g of protein a day, and that can easily be attained. Veggies, like broccoli actually have more protein than meat so if you are worried about protein than pack in the veggies. Please stay away from dairy as it also comes with a lot of fat, so do most meats. I myself am a vegan and have already lost ten pounds in two months. So yeah, don't worry about protein.

Please show me where broccoli has more protein than meat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I usually get 150+ grams of protein a day, which is a little over 1g per pound of body weight. I just tend to graviate toward protein rich foods.