I'm not eating enough healthy fats - what do I add?

Options
I find myself going over my daily protein amount to try and eat enough calories, and it's baffled me for awhile about how little my calorie intake is without eggs, meat and protein supplements in my life. Then I realized I really don't eat fats!
I just haven't tried alot of nuts, and I have avocado maybe twice a week in a salad. I cook with oil sometime, and obviously when I eat badly there's fats in chocolate and whatnot. But when I'm on a cleanstreak I've noticed there's very little fat in my diet, which isn't good cause I'm ODing on protein and good fats are actually essential to weightloss.
What should I be adding?
Nuts? Avocado....? Fish....?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you aren't getting enough fat, adding nuts, avocado, or fish will be helpful. You can just choose what fits in your day. You can also try oils. And the fat in chocolate isn't bad for you -- you don't have to limit chocolate to when you're eating "badly."

If you're having trouble meeting your nutritional needs without eating "badly," it's a sign that you're restricting too much.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with nuts if you are worried about PUFAs.

I always cook in fat, either bacon fat, lard, tallow, ghee, butter, evoo, or coconut oil. I'll also sometimes use Sesame Oil when cooking certain cuisines. I don't go super lean on my meats, I'll do 85/90% ground beef, I rarely trim the fat from my steaks, I eat the chicken skin. I eat the whole egg. I eat avocado a few times per week. On average, I'm consuming approximately 80-100g of fat per day.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    olive oil is my daily fat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Make up a nice home made salad dressing with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds and flaxmeal are high in good fats. Omega 3's.
    Can be added to things like greek yogurts, coating for baked chicken, or smoothies.
  • Crisphoria
    Crisphoria Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My go-to fats are avocado, raw nuts, & peanut butter. I suggest buying some fine ground almond flour too. You can use it for pancakes & cookies. You'll get your fat without all the carbs AND it feels like you're eating a breadlike treat
  • Smccabe8
    Smccabe8 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. I could easily eat an avocado a day. Seriously, an avocado spread on toast is amazing. Or in eggs. Or salad. Or tacos. (Do you see a trend?)

Also, could eat peanut butter by the spoonful. Almonds are amazing too. I get the coconut or chocolate flavored ones for a treat, but they're basically like delicious crack so beware.

My fats are always a bit high, but I try to worry more about calories and less about macros.
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this, but I've heard of people taking coconut oil as a supplement.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Avocado, walnuts, salmon, tuna, almonds. Olives. Eggs. Coconut! Butter, mmm. But especially walnuts and salmon for healthy fats.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^I agree totally with the above post!
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Paiger816 wrote: »
    Also, could eat peanut butter by the spoonful.

Years ago, the ad campaign for Reese's involved two people walking on the sidewalk coming from opposite directions, one eating a chocolate bar the other eating peanut butter straight from the jar with a spoon. The two collided and landed on the sidewalk, somehow without food going flying.
    "You got your peanut butter on my chocolate!"
    "You got your chocolate on my peanut butter!"
    (both taste theirs)
    "YUM!"

Who the hell eats peanut butter by the spoonful, family asked? ME ME ME! You can, too. :)

• hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds are also high in good fat and protein. Add them to salads, yogurt, oatmeal. Find them at costco or Amazon website
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avocado and oily fish are good fat sources. But I'd also suggest olive oil Toss your veggies in it and roast/grill them. Makes them oh so yummy!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like ice cream.. and oreos- but coconut oil and peanut butter are both great options too.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I like ice cream.. and oreos- but coconut oil and peanut butter are both great options too.

Plop a scoop of ice cream on top of an Oreo-peanut butter sandwich and now you're really winning.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    MCT oil blends into smoothies really nicely - totally disappears texture and flavor wise and adds some healthy fats