Eggs

Options
I NEVER got over my cholestral, it's never been a problem for me... until last Friday I ate an egg sandwich without realizing it has 210/300 daily cholestral in it!

I decided not to eat eggs again if that's the case... but I got to thinking.. there are eggs in alot of things.. like the pancakes I want to make... and I am craving another egg sandwich..

I seen people mention eating eggs... so I'm confused... are they bad for you? I mean... if I eat just one I will be over on cholestral...but is that a bad thing?

Is there such a thing as not so bad cholestral?

Replies

• chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good for you. With that, I will add: in moderation ;) I believe it was during the 80's that the medical community and media said eggs are bad b/c of the cholesterol content, but it has been reversed. There is good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. Eggs are good, natural. They even check your cholesterol differently now, testing your good and bad instead of just one lump number. Have your egg sandwich and enjoy it.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    egg whites!
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options
    Research shows that it's not the cholesterol we eat that makes our cholesterol go up, it's the saturated fat. Eggs are pretty low in saturated fat (unless, of couse, you cook them in a tub of butter :) Current recommendations for eggs states that it's ok to have an average of 6-7 eggs per week. Plus they are high in protein and also have choline, a nutrient classed with the B vitamins. So, if you enjoy an egg sandwich every once in a while, it's totally fine. Plus, a satisfying breakfast with adequate protein will help you eat less calories throughout the day. Eat up!
  • aprilh203
    aprilh203 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The benefits of eggs outweigh their high cholesterol. They contain lecithin which helps burn fat, they have lean protein in the white. If you are concerned about your cholesterol level what you really need to be concerned about is your intake of saturated fat. This will have more of an affect on blood cholesterol levels. When I eat eggs, I often have one egg and two egg whites to reduce the ratio of fat to protein that I am eating.
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Eggs are ok.....in moderation for sure. Egg whites hold all the good protein, but without the yoke the whites are a good for you. I have 2 hard boiled eggs in the morning sometimes with or without the yoke.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Check out this link on a study of overweight people eating an egg breakfast: http://www.jacn.org/content/24/6/510.abstract
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites all the time,except in egg salad.I also have never has a problem with choesteral.I workout enough and watch my saterated fats that its not a worry for me.:bigsmile:
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    Do not discard the yolk, it is nutritious and in no way harmful. This anti-egg yolk thing is a myth built of the bad information that we have been provided over the past 20 odd years.

Watch this lecture for some good information on cholesterol and the causes of high cholesterol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exi7O1li_wA
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Do not discard the yolk, it is nutritious and in no way harmful. This anti-egg yolk thing is a myth built of the bad information that we have been provided over the past 20 odd years.

Watch this lecture for some good information on cholesterol and the causes of high cholesterol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exi7O1li_wA

It is higher in calories than the white though - so if you want to make a bigger omlette then using a mix which is, say, 2 with yolk + 1 white would make sense.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options

Great article. I love eggs and if I'm not too lazy to cook in the morning I have 2 every day.
  • dvusk
    dvusk Posts: 21
    Options
    Wow, great info, guys! Thanks to all.
  • rraallpphhccuurrtt
    Options
    Eggs? Yuck!