Wanting to give up!

Options
I've worked my *kitten* of for three months now and have seen no results. I go to gym at least 5 days a week and do cardio as well as strength training. I eat good, counting my calories and eat mostly chicken, veggies, fruit, and whole grains. Of course I have slipped up a couple of times and gone off track but I have still worked my *kitten* off and have seen no results. I may have lost 5 pounds. I don't understand why I'm not seeing better results and im wanting to give up, any tips or advice?

Replies

• crystalroselynn
    crystalroselynn Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Have you tried seeing if you have health issues. Maybe muscle gain?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You are doing well counting your calories, but for better accuracy it is good to weigh your food on a digital scale and liquids with the apropriate cups and spoons.
    If, after a few weeks you still aren't losing, a visit to the doctor, just to rule out anything that may be affecting how you lose, may be what is needed.

If you are using the MFP calorie calculations for your deficit don't forget to eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. That is the way it is designed to work.

Cheers, h.
  • dimnikar
    dimnikar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of strength training, you could be gaining muscle mass as you're losing fat, which isn't as dense. Did you notice any changes appart from weight (firmness, shape, etc)?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @dimnikar it is very difficult to gain muscle mass while eating at a deficit.

Cheers, h.
  • HisRedAngel
    HisRedAngel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have to ask the most simple question. Are you squeezing? Squeezing is a must. When you start to feel the burn you should always keep going 30 seconds longer while squeezing to see results. I would love to know what your exact goals are?
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I was the same way. It takes awhile to see results. It took me 1 year too loose half my body fat and the scale still reads the same due to the fact I gained muscle in the place of the fat I lost and it's hidden under the fat I I'm still working on. Scales are deceiving. I'm now on my second year to loose the rest of my body fat. It has been a long journey but I've read that the slower you loose is better because it will be long lasting results. Remind yourself from time to time why you started in the first place. You didn't gain it overnight and you won't loose it overnight. Don't stress or over think it. The results will come. Feel free to add me.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Most likely, you are not in a deficit. You an eat very healthy, work out, but not be at a deficit - and in this case, you will not lose weight. Your diary closed, and I do not know your goals so it is hard to comment beyond this.
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent video to give you an idea of how inaccurate measuring your dry food with cups can be. It is very important to weigh your food everyday. That way you will get an accurate log of what you are putting at your body and work at a true deficit. I've been doing pretty well and was able to lose 4 pounds last month, but I weighed EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. Deli meat, cheese, vegetables, condiments, etc. It wasn't pleasant but it helped me to better assess what I was actually eating everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

If you are weighing everything you put in your mouth accurately, then you may have to go back to the drawing board and re-evaulate your TDEE and resting BMR then make modifications so that you will begin to lose the weight.

Not knowing your stats it's difficult to gauge where the hang up is in your daily regiment. Try not to get too stressed out or upset. Make sure you are getting a good night's sleep. Also, are you taking different measurements with a tape measure? You may not see the scale moving but you still may be getting some positive results to keep you motivated.
    Best of luck!
  • dimnikar
    dimnikar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @dimnikar it is very difficult to gain muscle mass while eating at a deficit.

Cheers, h.

I assumed they're not in deficit as I had no reason to think otherwise.

But yes, you are right.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of results? Can you lift more and run faster? Do you have more strength and stamina? Have you measured your waist or hips? The scale can be fickle, especially when you are exercising which can cause some inflammation and water retention. BE patient.
  • Interbeing
    Interbeing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have lost 5 lbs over the last 3 months and I am very happy with my results, as I have also lost 2 inches in my waist, firmed up my muscle tone, increased my cardio capability by leaps and bounds, and my wife thinks I'm "hot" again, lol! I guess it is all relevant, sometimes you have to look at more than the scale. Hang in there!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I have to ask the most simple question. Are you squeezing? Squeezing is a must. When you start to feel the burn you should always keep going 30 seconds longer while squeezing to see results. I would love to know what your exact goals are?
    What? Where are you getting your information on this from?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Where are you at now?, I see 20 years old and female....(height, weight, goals)????
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've worked my *kitten* of for three months now and have seen no results. I go to gym at least 5 days a week and do cardio as well as strength training. I eat good, counting my calories and eat mostly chicken, veggies, fruit, and whole grains. Of course I have slipped up a couple of times and gone off track but I have still worked my *kitten* off and have seen no results. I may have lost 5 pounds. I don't understand why I'm not seeing better results and im wanting to give up, any tips or advice?
    What is your cardio? What is your strength training? What are your stats? How many calories are you eating daily? What are your weekends like?

I hear these same complaints every year from people asking me at the gym why results aren't happening and then when we sit an analyze it, it's not as accurate as they think it is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Dont' know your stats that would probably be helpful...but according to your profile you just joined MFP a month ago. So you started your journey 2 months prior but now utilizing MFP for guidance which is good. MFP is a tool and you now must use it properly. Your diary is not open so no idea what your calories in/calories out looks like. But that what it boils down to. CI/CO so my guess is you're underestimating your calories consumed or you're overestimating what you burned. Without more info it's hard to say.
  • danacondah
    danacondah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A 5lb loss does not = no results. Don't be so hard on yourself, 5lbs IS PROGRESS. You could potentially be eating more than you think you are and not creating a big enough caloric deficit to lose more. Feel free to add me for support, don't give up. I have an open diary too if you'd like to take a look. Stay consistent and measure your food accurately. Go girl!