I'm ruining all my hard work and I can't stop

Options
For the whole of 2015 I was a diligent MFP logger and dedicated exerciser and found the whole thing cruisey and enjoyable. Sure I had ups and downs but there was a consistent steady weight loss and at the end of the year I'd lost 30kgs or a little over 66 pounds. I was feeling great. Strong fit healthy, all the old aches and pains were minimized and I was close to my 40kg loss goal. Roll in 2016 and things have gone to the pot, I've gained over 4 kgs or nearly 9 pounds I'm bingeing every night, I'm still exercising but its now a bit of a chore as apposed to the desire I previously had. I'm living in fear. I can't put the weight on again I just can't but I don't seem to be able to get off this merry go round. Help. I need guidance. I need accountability, I need new ideas regarding building that momentum again. Any and all suggestions welcome. HELP!! I'm really feeling desperate.

Replies

• Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Did you take any progress pictures? Look at the ones where you were heavier to motivate you not to return to that weight and the ones where you are smaller to motivate you to keep going. I don't know where you're from but spring and summer are coming for me, don't you want to look your best?

Allow some treats daily or every other day as long as they fit into your calorie goal. Think about your long term health.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Has something changed recently that may have caused this slump?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You were probably in a sustained deficit for a long period.

That gets tough mentally after a while and also hormonally. Also, the closer you get to goal leanness, the smaller calorie deficit you need to run (or else you just lose muscle mass and bone density and become smaller and pudgier).

You can basically "manage" a long-term cut by spending periods of a few days to a week going back up to eating at maintenance calories, before continuing on with weight loss. This "refeed" technique provides a mental and hormonal break.

If you are closer to your goal leanness, then you keep a slimmer calorie deficit and maybe spend a weekend at maintenance every week or fortnight.

Bottom line is: doing what works to lose weight when you're overweight is not the same stuff that works as you get closer to being leaner. You need to lose weight more slowly and programme in the "refeeds" described above.

Notice that I intentionally talk about goal leanness, not goal weight. Picking an arbitrary number on the scale that you want to achieve is not really what people are after (even if it's what they think they want) people really want some combination of looking, performing and feeling their best self (including stuff like looking good in the clothes they want to wear, looking good for their partner out of their clothes, performing a sport better, sticking around longer for their family, etc). You can lose a bunch of weight without achieving any of these goals if you punish yourself to the point of total weight loss without regard to body comp/leanness. TLDR: throw out the scale, pick up the tape measure/comparison photo/sports performance measure and be happier
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    [/b]

This may be true. You may just need a break from logging and thinking about dieting for 1-2 weeks. You won't do too much damage in that time frame unless you go out of your way to binge every day. Then you may be able to start again invigorated and ready to kill it.

• allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't live in fear - you don't need to create undue stress on yourself. Take a good look at your dietary menu. You said you've been bingeing. Stop that! Maybe eat more in the beginning part of the day. Or binge on carrot stix! Make sure you eat plenty of veggies. Also, perhaps it's time to find some new fitness routines - our bodies get used to routines. I had to take a break after losing 65 pounds. I was eating too low - 1200 and exercising too much, and was sooooo tired all the time. Now I'm eating around 1300-1400,and enjoying my exercising again. Sometimes you just need a break.
  • StrawbC
    StrawbC Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    Did you take any progress pictures? Look at the ones where you were heavier to motivate you not to return to that weight and the ones where you are smaller to motivate you to keep going. I don't know where you're from but spring and summer are coming for me, don't you want to look your best?

Allow some treats daily or every other day as long as they fit into your calorie goal. Think about your long term health.

Unfortunately I didn't take progress pics. I'm really inconsistent with motivation.. and currently rely good with excuses!!

Which reminds me of a quote.

Excuses or results ... You can't have both... from my teenage son.. wise beyond his years
  • StrawbC
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Has something changed recently that may have caused this slump?

I was unwell for while with a virus that has effected my vision and i've had to shave all my hair off as it was related to the black hair dye i used (just once). I kinda haven't bounced back after that.. I feel like I've lost my mojo. My work situation has also changed. I work less for more money but more on my own. I'm a little more isolated.. Hmmm I'll ponder these Thanks
  • StrawbC
    Options

That gets tough mentally after a while and also hormonally. Also, the closer you get to goal leanness, the smaller calorie deficit you need to run (or else you just lose muscle mass and bone density and become smaller and pudgier).

You can basically "manage" a long-term cut by spending periods of a few days to a week going back up to eating at maintenance calories, before continuing on with weight loss. This "refeed" technique provides a mental and hormonal break.

If you are closer to your goal leanness, then you keep a slimmer calorie deficit and maybe spend a weekend at maintenance every week or fortnight.

Bottom line is: doing what works to lose weight when you're overweight is not the same stuff that works as you get closer to being leaner. You need to lose weight more slowly and programme in the "refeeds" described above.

Notice that I intentionally talk about goal leanness, not goal weight. Picking an arbitrary number on the scale that you want to achieve is not really what people are after (even if it's what they think they want) people really want some combination of looking, performing and feeling their best self (including stuff like looking good in the clothes they want to wear, looking good for their partner out of their clothes, performing a sport better, sticking around longer for their family, etc). You can lose a bunch of weight without achieving any of these goals if you punish yourself to the point of total weight loss without regard to body comp/leanness. TLDR: throw out the scale, pick up the tape measure/comparison photo/sports performance measure and be happier

Thanks for this feedback. I was really closer to my goal "weight" and then things slowed and I became ill and the exercise slowed but not stopped. My weight training and bikrim yoga stoped so my body shape changed, my flabby less toned than I was even at higher weight. This has given me something to think about.

What did I like more? the look of my toned arms shapely legs or the number on the scale? I'll spend sometime refocusing re thinking and setting new goals that are more relevant to my current situation. Thanks
  • StrawbC
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    [/b]

This may be true. You may just need a break from logging and thinking about dieting for 1-2 weeks. You won't do too much damage in that time frame unless you go out of your way to binge every day. Then you may be able to start again invigorated and ready to kill it.

I've been thinking this myself.... its been over a year of consistent "restriction" sometimes without the feeling of deprivation and sometimes, alot of times recently with feeling of missing out
  • StrawbC
    Options
    Don't live in fear - you don't need to create undue stress on yourself. Take a good look at your dietary menu. You said you've been bingeing. Stop that! Maybe eat more in the beginning part of the day. Or binge on carrot stix! Make sure you eat plenty of veggies. Also, perhaps it's time to find some new fitness routines - our bodies get used to routines. I had to take a break after losing 65 pounds. I was eating too low - 1200 and exercising too much, and was sooooo tired all the time. Now I'm eating around 1300-1400,and enjoying my exercising again. Sometimes you just need a break.

Thanks Allison.. I think your onto something... I'm in fear constantly .. I just am so scared of being really overweight again. I have to trust myself to care for me and eat without the sense of watch-dogging all the time. I've been doing for more than a year.. I have learnt some things. Time to trust that wisdom
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself and stop stressing. But you also need accept the fact that no one is forcing you to binge, it is your own action, and you will only stop when you choose to.

The wise philosopher Ludacris recently shared a quote on Facebook that said something to the effect of "If you try you might get there, but if you don't try you definitely won't". So don't not try.
  • StrawbC
    Options
    Thanks for you words of wisdom everyone.... I think I need to take stock and redefine my next stage in my lifestyle choices. That seems to be the message here...
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The key is simple, and difficult at the same time. You simply commit to NOT QUITTING. Just don't quit. All of the advice above is great, but it won't do a bit of good if you can't/don't take it. I think we all have these periods, and working a way through them will make you stronger, and your good habits deeper.

Just don't quit, and you can never fail.
  • StrawbC
    Options
    NancyYale wrote: »
    The key is simple, and difficult at the same time. You simply commit to NOT QUITTING. Just don't quit. All of the advice above is great, but it won't do a bit of good if you can't/don't take it. I think we all have these periods, and working a way through them will make you stronger, and your good habits deeper.

Just don't quit, and you can never fail.

Yes... this is so true,,,, I'll have to youtube that Shia LaBeouf video again. The "just do it" one I used to watch that regularly and it really helped keep me focused. And gave me a laugh all at the same time.

Have a watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

• ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Find other ways to deal with your stress/anxiety. Sounds like you've been through a lot lately.
  • StrawbC
    Options
    TribeHokie wrote: »
    Forgive yourself and stop stressing. But you also need accept the fact that no one is forcing you to binge, it is your own action, and you will only stop when you choose to.

The wise philosopher Ludacris recently shared a quote on Facebook that said something to the effect of "If you try you might get there, but if you don't try you definitely won't". So don't not try.

Hahahah.. Very wise and very true
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Empty your cupboards and fridge of trigger foods so you don't eat while working (I assume you are at home). If the kids want treats send them down the road to buy them spontaneously.

Get logging, grow your hair and emerge in a couple of months with some experience.

We all go up and down with our weight, you can lose it again, I gain and lose the same few pounds over and over, but I keep trying and winning while I can.
  • Beehappybaby
    Beehappybaby Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a blip! you know you can do it! you also know HOW GOOD IT FEELS WHEN YOU START TO SEE RESULTS! so stop being so hard on yourself; the first step is the hardest. But every effort however small will get you back on track. I'm a bit like you been pigging out since Christmas, and had so many birthdays and things since. but this week managed to drag my *kitten* off the couch and back to exercising and watching what I put in my mouth. Only 3 days in, and already feeling better than I was!!! You can do it, and remember "you'll be lapping everyone on the couch".
  • StrawbC
    Options
    Think of it as a blip! you know you can do it! you also know HOW GOOD IT FEELS WHEN YOU START TO SEE RESULTS! so stop being so hard on yourself; the first step is the hardest. But every effort however small will get you back on track. I'm a bit like you been pigging out since Christmas, and had so many birthdays and things since. but this week managed to drag my *kitten* off the couch and back to exercising and watching what I put in my mouth. Only 3 days in, and already feeling better than I was!!! You can do it, and remember "you'll be lapping everyone on the couch".

Yep. . I know it's a me thing. . Only I can do it. Reading all the positive supportive comments is really helpful though. It's helps me remember that I've done this before i know i can do it. . I know I can. .