Should you eat ALL your calories?

Options
Hi! I used to do weight watchers and decided that for hopefully the last time in my life - I need to get these 60lbs off the healthy way! I'm calorie counting. Should I be eating "all" the calories this app has set for me (like in WW you need to eat all your points)? I've been doing this for two weeks now and have lost a small amount and am wondering if because I'm under my calories if that is the reason. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Generally, yes. Especially if you are logging accurately.

In your case, if you have not been losing at the rate you have chosen adding calories will not help you lose more.

May I ask, I know you are coming from WW, have you been logging your fruits and vegetables?
    Do you use a food scale?
    Are you sure to weigh all cooking oil, condiments, and drinks?
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Generally if you are being accurate with your logging and accounting for every item you eat and your stats are input correctly into MFP then yes you should eat to the level MFP has set for you to achieve your preferred weight loss goals.
    What are your stats set to? 2lbs a week, 1lb etc. As the above poster said because you have come from WW you need to get away from the mindset of 'free foods' all foods / sauces / seasonings have some calories and must be logged to keep accurate.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Usually if people aren't losing what they expect to it is because they are making mistakes with logging their foods, in rare cases it can be for medical reasons. The most important thing is not to use measuring units like 'a cup' and weigh/measure everything properly. Also if you buy ready meals at all know that the weight on the packet is not always going to be the weight you get - I think it can fluctuate by 20% upwards of the marked weight due to penalties imposed on companies for selling less than they advertise.

Other things to take in to account are your weekly calories are determined by how active you told MFP you are and if you are doing less than what they have factored in you will not lose as fast, also any exercise you log will tend to estimate on the high side for calories burnt so eating them all back might be a problem.

As for eating your calories, I personally tend to try to average over the week to around my goal rather than force myself to eat up to my calories or miss out on a treat on any given day. This way also has the advantage that if you have a bad day you don't beat yourself up like some people do, you just take it as part of your normal routine.
  • punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Generally if you are being accurate with your logging and accounting for every item you eat and your stats are input correctly into MFP then yes you should eat to the level MFP has set for you to achieve your preferred weight loss goals.
    What are your stats set to? 2lbs a week, 1lb etc. As the above poster said because you have come from WW you need to get away from the mindset of 'free foods' all foods / sauces / seasonings have some calories and must be logged to keep accurate.

What she said. Also regardless of what MFP has set for you, it's a pretty general and consistent rule to not eat below 1200 (at least for women).
  • AutumnStruk01
    AutumnStruk01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of your feedback. Daily I'm eating about 1200 and MFP says to eat 1490. Could I be under eating?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Generally, yes. Especially if you are logging accurately.

In your case, if you have not been losing at the rate you have chosen adding calories will not help you lose more.

May I ask, I know you are coming from WW, have you been logging your fruits and vegetables?
    Do you use a food scale?
    Are you sure to weigh all cooking oil, condiments, and drinks?
    I second this.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for two weeks now and have lost a small amount and am wondering if because I'm under my calories if that is the reason. Any help would be great! Thanks!

You are not losing slowly because you are eating too little. It doesn't work that way.

Sometimes people lose slowly because they're not accurately recording what they eat, so they think they're eating 1200 calories, and they're actually eating 1500 or more. This is a very common, honest mistake, so please do not feel like the suggestion is an attack or an accusation.

Could you respond to the questions about whether you use a scale to weigh your food, and whether you log everything you eat (rather than treating certain fruits and/or veggies as "free")?

Another common problem among people who feel that they are losing slowly is having unrealistic expectations. You say you've lost a "small amount." How much is that, and how much overall do you have to lose? The less you have to lose, the harder it generally is to create a large energy (calorie) deficit to lose weight, which is a good thing, because too large a deficit means you lose too much lean mass (muscle, etc.) in addition to whatever fat you're losing. If by "small amount" you mean 2 or 3 lbs in two weeks, and you only have 20 or 30 pounds to lose, that would be a terrific, very successful rate of loss.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I chose to have really low weight loss goals of .5 pounds a week because I didn't want to feel like my goals were not achievable. So I tend not to eat my full calories allowed. I have almost 1700 calories available!
    I do make sure that I am at least over 1200 unless I have a really weird day.

We eat mostly whole foods or thing I make, so unless I add junk, it can be hard to hit my target.

How did I get overweight, you ask? CHEESE! :)
  • eddiemoira659
    eddiemoira659 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Meyerformayor1
    Meyerformayor1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss is simple mathematics. As long as you log EVERYTHING you consume then you should in theory be losing the weight. If you're not make sure your activity level is set correctly and that you are remembering to log each item.
  • theestars
    theestars Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people lose slowly because they're not accurately recording what they eat, so they think they're eating 1200 calories, and they're actually eating 1500 or more. This is a very common, honest mistake, so please do not feel like the suggestion is an attack or an accusation.

So true. I thought I was eating around 1300 everyday, but once I started logging accurately - including every little bite of food I eat, I realized I was actually eating 1700 calories.
    I'm a food grazer, so I will pick at stuff throughout the day. I didn't realize how fast the calories were adding up until I joined MFP.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1200 is as low as MFP will go. I know when I've logged under that for a day, MFP chastises me and won't post my status for that day.

This 1200 limit can be frustrating for short people, because if you want to lose say, 2 pounds a week, it won't set a realistic calorie goal to do that for you, since the number it actually calculates to reach that goal when you have a small frame, might land you under 1200.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of your feedback. Daily I'm eating about 1200 and MFP says to eat 1490. Could I be under eating?

1200 is a minimum default (BEFORE exercise) to help you meet nutritional minimums. Most women can eat more and still lose. Senior and very petite ladies may need to go as low as 1200.

Accurate logging is tougher than it sounds. Many entries is the database are flat out wrong. You could be eating more than you think.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    She who eats the most while losing, wins.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight faster than you think is safe and comfortable (most people seem to agree that 2 lbs. is a good limit), then you should never lose sleep over eating fewer calories than the program tells you to eat. The program is a very, very blunt instrument, and so are your food measurement skills. It's just giving you a general idea of appropriate goals. The important thing will always be whether you're losing at a safe rate that suits you. Try it for a week or two and see what happens! The more you can eat while losing, the happier you're likely to be and longer you're likely to keep it up, but I'll be darned if I can see why you should eat when you don't feel like it, if you're not actually wasting away (and few of us here are).
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    PS--my comments are not meant to apply to anyone with a special health challenge, like tricky blood-sugar control, or to anyone suffering from an unhappy relationship with food, like anorexia. I'm addressing run-of-the-mill overweight people who are trying to get into habits that will get them to lose a good bit of weight over time, safely.
  • AutumnStruk01
    AutumnStruk01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!