Feeling Depressed

Options
Eating all this food to gain weight to turn into muscle is making me depressed. Especially when I can't go the gym. I'm gaining the weight but haven't seen any results yet.

Replies

• rodriguezangel316ar
    Options
    How much weight have you gained? Can you lift weights at home with dumbbells?
  • ctheman325
    ctheman325 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    11lbs. I try to hit the gym 4 to 5 times a week. But my trainer told me to cut back on the cardio. Ugh I feel all bloated and sick. Depressing!
  • SpartanMFP
    SpartanMFP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out Scooby's Workshop channel on YouTube for some no-nonsense practical advice and information on how to put muscle on.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to adjust your calories and routine? Why can't you go to the gym?
  • ctheman325
    Options
    SpartanMFP wrote: »
    Check out Scooby's Workshop channel on YouTube for some no-nonsense practical advice and information on how to put muscle on.

This was very helpful. Thanks!
  • ctheman325
    Options
    Had an eye doctor appointment and it took forever and took all of my free time with it. LoL!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    If you feel bloated and that you're gaining too quick, cut back on your calories. It's the struggle of lifting though man. I know the days where you just look at how much more you have to eat and it is completely demoralizing. Buy yourself a pizza, eat something calorie loaded and fun. It's the best way through those downer patches
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How fast are you gaining?

I have my tough days as well. The more you can stay on track with your lifting/keep up your volume, the better you will feel. Not only do you have performance goals to focus on (which helps take my mind off the added fat!), but you'll be putting those calories to use.
  • ctheman325
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did look at my calorie per meal and compare it to a chart and I am eating too many calories in my big 3 meals. BREAKFAST, LUNCH and DINNER. Maybe if I cut back I won't gains as much weight as fast.
  • ctheman325
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I've added 11 lbs in 3 weeks.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You can't gain that much muscle that quickly. I think at most you can put on about 0.5 lbs of muscle a week. You should reassess how much you need to eat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    You can't gain that much muscle that quickly. I think at most you can put on about 0.5 lbs of muscle a week. You should reassess how much you need to eat.

Agreed. That is way too fast and if the goal is to minimize fat gains, then a smaller surplus will be required.
  • ctheman325
    Options
    Yes I would imagine it's all unhealthy weight. Which is depressing me more.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ctheman325 wrote: »
    Yes I would imagine it's all unhealthy weight. Which is depressing me more.

Just scale back on your calories by roughly 600-750 calories per day and you should be around the .5-1 lb gained per week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you overshot your bulk, as almost four pounds a week is over kill…

how many calories a day are you eating?
  • ctheman325
    Options
    You know I really wasn't counting because I never ate a ton. So when the trainer said I had to eat a lot more because of my matabolism, I just started eating eveything. My mistake I'll keep track better now.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You know I really wasn't counting because I never ate a ton. So when the trainer said I had to eat a lot more because of my matabolism, I just started eating eveything. My mistake I'll keep track better now.

Here is the easy fix.

Step 1: Fire the trainer
    Step 2: Start to log your calories
    Step 3: Adjust calories based on results.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Yeah.....use the app. Try for .5 lbs per week or so. You should feel much better. To put it in perspective for you, I've been bulking since November and have put on 13 lbs and I consider that to be on the high side.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    This trainer sounds like an 'eat big to get big' sort of person, I'd ignore them personally if I was that unhappy with their instructions. I've had people tell me I should eat 6000-7000 calories a day to build muscle, but I've actually built muscle on 2600 calories a day. You only need a slight surplus, but you know this already I think.
  • ctheman325
    Options
    I've always been relatively skiny. 165 to 170lbs for 6'1 frame. Super high matabolism. So when he said I needed to eat more to counteract my body it made sense but I might of over did it. Because before I'd eat basically healthy and portion controlled. When he said eat 2700 to 3000 calories I just went to town. I was eating 1800- 2000 calories on my own. I also pulled back on the cardio though as well. So I made a lot of changes at once. I guess I have to find the happy medium.