Buying Foods With Correct Barcodes

Options
2»

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I prefer to shop around the edge of the store - fruits and veggies, meats, seafood, and dairy. I buy very little from the middle aisles other than pasta and cereal and bread for the family. I measure and weigh everything that I eat. I fail to see how buying foods with bar codes is going to help you with portion control. Have you ever looked a nutrition label? Often it will say the serving size and then where it says how many servings per container it will say "about". For example, my canned tuna says "about" 2.5 servings, but when I weighed it out it was actually 2.75 servings. It can go the other way as well. Why not just buy foods that you prepare yourself, weigh and measure, then you will know exactly what you are putting in to your body.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I use both the barcode and the scale for me it works..... the bar code to list all of the nutrition label ( I will still double check) and the scale to get the accurate amount of food.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Barcode scanning isn't always accurate

Get yourself a food scale and weigh your foods

This! Take the barcode on a specialty loaf of bread I bought for example. My sister got a job at our local Super One bakery and SWORE by the bacon egg cheese bread they make. I bought a loaf for a rare treat. Scanned the code to log it and it came up with whole west dinner rolls. There was nothing whole wheat or roll like about it! Never was able to find out how many calories that bread was :( but I did my best and still lost weight that week.