Sprained Ankle - Suggestions for exercise

Options
So I stepped off of the step wrong during step class yesterday and ended up spraining m ankle. I dont want to let this throw me off as I was doing great with my workout routine. Does anyone have any suggestions for a workout I might be able to do while my ankle recovers?

Replies

• MirandaGoins
    Options
    JM says that punches are a great cardio!! try that
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Swimming or a stationary bike (maybe a recumbant one) shouldn't be too stressful on your ankle.
  • Kristy085
    Kristy085 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just had that problem last week...I did the recumbant bike, which was low impact. I wrapped my ankle for the first week and it really stabalized it. Be sure to ice and elevate to reduce swelling..it'll heal pretty fast. Hope for a fast recovery!
  • maritimemom
    maritimemom Posts: 192
    Options
    I hurt my ankle last month and it took a good 3-4 weeks to heal. I had to take it easy for the first few weeks 'cause I could barely walk on it. I went swimming and did Leslie Sansone's Walk away the pounds. I started with the 1 mile walk and worked my way up to the 4 mile walk. I definitely wouldn't continue doing the 30 Day Shred with a sprained ankle. It is very high impact and you'll end up injuring yourself even worse. Doing the shred is how I injured myself in the first place. Good luck! :smile:
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Swimming (primarily using your arms) might be a good option. I am thinking backstroke with minimal kicking or only 1 leg kicking?
  • ToeTapN
    ToeTapN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Windsor Pilates. Great core work out and you are never on your feet. Good luck.
  • jeanice66
    jeanice66 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I ended up injuring my ankle several times.. it is very frustrating when you are trying to loose weight but as a couple earlier postings suggested.. swimming is an incredible way to get great exercise with no pressure on the ankle. Some times it is a little more difficult getting in and out but over all a great way to keep up while down!
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    As Tony Horton says "if your top is broke, work your bottom, if your bottom is broke, work your top, if your bottom and top are broke, work your core!"

Try to do all the exercises you are use to involving your upper body and core. If you do it at a fast pace with little rest time, it becomes a resistance workout and cardio which would help you burn calories and get great results even though you can't do anything with your lower body.

Hope this helps.

Billy
  • cviertha
    cviertha Posts: 32
    Options
    Do anything in the water! Water provides great resistance and is very forgiving on injured body parts. I did this last summer when I got shin splints (oh so painful!). Just keep your heart rate up while you are in the water! Good luck and it will heal!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Strength training: Chest flies in a bridge, crunches, bicep and tricept curls, rows etc.
    Cardio: swimming, water exercises, rowing machines and cycling
  • Myra73
    Myra73 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time to recover. At least you were up on a step. I was out of commission last year for a few months because I turned my ankle while walking across an empty parking lot.

If you have access to a pool, swimming, treading water, water aerobics/weights might work. I continued with a yoga class and I wrapped my ankle and asked the instructor for assistance (things I shouldn't do, etc), you may try that and/or pilates (great for core strength and fat burning).

Good luck:)