Ladies - how many calories have you been eating per day to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Oh, how do I survive on 1200? :) Short story: I work from home. My commute is about 25 steps from the bedroom to my desk. When it comes down to lifestyle, mine is really sedentary, not counting the walking/swimming/hula hooping that I've been adding regularly.

Some days, my TDEE is 1340. The only way to lose weight is to eat less than that.
  • beckygreene86
    beckygreene86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I hover around 1200-1300 calories. I walk 4 days a week and I do not usually eat back those calories. I run about 3 days a week and I will eat back about 1/2 of those. I like my sweets. I tell people I run so I can eat. I watch what I eat but I will not deprive myself. If I want that pie, I'll eat it and then make sure I work it off that day. If I deprive myself of my sweets I won't stick to it. Most days I do fine on the lower calories. I have had trouble with feeling the effects of it with my runs when I wasn't eating back much of the calories burnt. This is an area I've been working on, losing weight but still fueling my cardio.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    DaphneSW wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP I'm confused...Are you losing eating 2500 or not? Are you assuming you burn 900 calories per day through exercise?

Yeah, I seem to be losing weight!! Significant loss of fat around my face/neck already!
    I walk to and from work everyday (approx 500 calories), plus track my runs with apps (approx 400 calories) so i can burn anywhere between 500-900 calories per day. This is based on data from runkeeper and apple health pedometer

Well, something seems a bit off but if you're losing keep at it.

Yeah - I literally don't get how this is happening.. where abouts do you think it's particuarly off?

2500 calories for a 137 lb woman, to LOSE...seems high. Might mean you are overestimating your food intake. Or you are active AF.

I mean, I'm bulking and gaining weight right now. Lightly active. When I'm 137 I gain weight on anything about 1800-1900 calories.

Over estimating is possible... But I'm doubtful because i measure EVERYTHING I eat. I even have scales at my work office for when i make mochaccino, or spontaneously buy snacks...
    Even at home, I weigh everything from frozen blueberries, rice crackers etc. I also do meal preps which involve me weighing all my ingredients before I start cooking. I feel like i've been pretty accurate.
    You're right though - 2500 is a *kitten* tonne. I don't get it. I'm also surprised I eat that much. I can't help it - I have a huge appetite.
    Although, given the exercise I'm doing that would mean I'm averaging anywhere between 1600-2000 calories per day.

That's crazy that 1800-1900 will make you gain weight!
    Damn. my brain is confused. as f.

What's your normal routine like? I honestly don't see as being impossible. Looking back at my trackers history, when I was in the mid to low 130's my maintenance was about 2500 calories (I was averaging a little over 10k steps a day, lifting 3 x a week, running 2- 3 miles 2-3 days a week) and I can see someone who is more active than that easily needing more to maintain.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My 30 day average intake is roughly 1841 total calories per day(some days higher and some lower). I say roughly because there are days like today were I went out to eat and have to guesstimate my calories (local place...no nutritional info available). MFP gave me a net goal of 1300 to lose 1 lb per week. I however typically will net closer to 1500 calories (so I'm in the red almost daily). I eat exercise calories/fitbit activity adjustments.

In that time I've lost 2.3 lbs which is approximately 0.53 lbs a week.

I'm 5'4.5" and in the low 120's right now. So my weight loss is right in line with what it should be.

How did you calculate your 30 day average? Is there a quick tool - or will i have to do this manually :p bahaha
    It's something on the desktop version of Fitbit. I think you'd have to do it manually if you don't have one.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My 30 day average intake is roughly 1841 total calories per day(some days higher and some lower). I say roughly because there are days like today were I went out to eat and have to guesstimate my calories (local place...no nutritional info available). MFP gave me a net goal of 1300 to lose 1 lb per week. I however typically will net closer to 1500 calories (so I'm in the red almost daily). I eat exercise calories/fitbit activity adjustments.

In that time I've lost 2.3 lbs which is approximately 0.53 lbs a week.

I'm 5'4.5" and in the low 120's right now. So my weight loss is right in line with what it should be.

How did you calculate your 30 day average? Is there a quick tool - or will i have to do this manually :p bahaha

Fitbit does it for me.
    I don't know if MFP has an option to do that though.
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    OP I'm confused...Are you losing eating 2500 or not? Are you assuming you burn 900 calories per day through exercise?

Yeah, I seem to be losing weight!! Significant loss of fat around my face/neck already!
    I walk to and from work everyday (approx 500 calories), plus track my runs with apps (approx 400 calories) so i can burn anywhere between 500-900 calories per day. This is based on data from runkeeper and apple health pedometer

Well, something seems a bit off but if you're losing keep at it.

Yeah - I literally don't get how this is happening.. where abouts do you think it's particuarly off?

2500 calories for a 137 lb woman, to LOSE...seems high. Might mean you are overestimating your food intake. Or you are active AF.

I mean, I'm bulking and gaining weight right now. Lightly active. When I'm 137 I gain weight on anything about 1800-1900 calories.

Over estimating is possible... But I'm doubtful because i measure EVERYTHING I eat. I even have scales at my work office for when i make mochaccino, or spontaneously buy snacks...
    Even at home, I weigh everything from frozen blueberries, rice crackers etc. I also do meal preps which involve me weighing all my ingredients before I start cooking. I feel like i've been pretty accurate.
    You're right though - 2500 is a *kitten* tonne. I don't get it. I'm also surprised I eat that much. I can't help it - I have a huge appetite.
    Although, given the exercise I'm doing that would mean I'm averaging anywhere between 1600-2000 calories per day.

That's crazy that 1800-1900 will make you gain weight!
    Damn. my brain is confused. as f.

What's your normal routine like? I honestly don't see as being impossible. Looking back at my trackers history, when I was in the mid to low 130's my maintenance was about 2500 calories (I was averaging a little over 10k steps a day, lifting 3 x a week, running 2- 3 miles 2-3 days a week) and I can see someone who is more active than that easily needing more to maintain.

Oh wow, that's very interesting! So given that amount of activity you were maintaining weight and not gaining/losing?

My normal routine.. my steps per day average at 15,000. Then on top of that i'm going on runs approx 3-4 times a week. I'm not lifting at all and therefore my only form of exercise is from my walking and running
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How much are you losing per week?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Ugh you guys are KIND of making me want to do cardio.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I need 1400-1600 to lose as well. TDEE of about 1800.

^ This is me, exactly.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Running is something I've always wanted to do. That's not to say the extra calories from it isn't a really nice perk. :p

• DaphneSW
    Options
    How much are you losing per week?

it's hard for me to say as I don't have an electric scale at home - and my weight will fluctuate quite a bit based on how much water i have in my system, what i've eaten, or if i've pooped yet..... LMAO.

Won't really have clear results on this until i've lost a significant amount over a longer period of time. So far i've been going by how my neck/jawline look since that's noticable first :p
    It was enough that when i saw my family last week they said I looked slimmer.
  • arditarose
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Running is something I've always wanted to do. That's not to say the extra calories from it isn't a really nice perk. :p

I really really really don't like running. I already spend 7-8 hours in the gym per week lifting. Even if I could spare more time to go in for cardio, the only sustainable amount I could do is about 1 hour per week. I always felt that wouldn't make enough difference to increase my TDEE so I just decided not to.

I think I might have better luck increasing NEAT. I've been trying to walk and be more active in general. Still, I'm gaining very easily on 2100-2200

• DaphneSW
    Options

Do it girl!!
    I love it to keep me sane :D Otherwise I'm just super tense, and stressed often. Keeps mindfulness in check, and good for headspace babe x
  • DaphneSW
    Options

Heck yeah, the extra calories are a huge bonus! Girl gotta eat!!!
  • DaphneSW
    Options

I really really really don't like running. I already spend 7-8 hours in the gym per week lifting. Even if I could spare more time to go in for cardio, the only sustainable amount I could do is about 1 hour per week. I always felt that wouldn't make enough difference to increase my TDEE so I just decided not to.

I think I might have better luck increasing NEAT. I've been trying to walk and be more active in general. Still, I'm gaining very easily on 2100-2200

Walking is amazing exercise. The way I see it - I save money from petrol or public transport, while getting in fitness without even thinking about it!! It's great. Also means I wear cute workout gear and comfortable as f sneakers from day to day. Love it
  • arditarose
    Options

Walking is amazing exercise. The way I see it - I save money from petrol or public transport, while getting in fitness without even thinking about it!! It's great. Also means I wear cute workout gear and comfortable as f sneakers from day to day. Love it

I've been trying to get off the train early on the way to work. It's only an extra few miles per week though. It's funny, I live in NYC and I still don't walk THAT much. I think I'm just a lazy person. I just want to eat food and pick up heavy things. And not really move that fast or much lol

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Do it girl!!
    I love it to keep me sane :D Otherwise I'm just super tense, and stressed often. Keeps mindfulness in check, and good for headspace babe x

Yeah, running really helped me get through some tough times with my depression. But different strokes for different folks! I really wish I could get more into lifting, tbh. I was into it at one point but lost my lifting partner and lost my motivation so I haven't done it regularly since then.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I range around 1200 to 1700 depending on activity level. I used to somehow manage 1200 but after I started eating above that for a week or so I think my body realized I needed that so I am just hovering above it
  • JoJo0921
    JoJo0921 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Right now I do 2089 on workout days and 1689 on rest days. I was doing 1400 for a long time without any progress (and definitely not getting stronger) and my coach suggested I was eating too low to fuel my body correctly for the amount of exercise I do, which makes your body store extra fat for energy since it is not getting the energy it needs from food. So I always had a fluffy midsection. They slowly bumped my intake up and in a month I lost and inch in my waist and belly, and gained an inch and a half in my quads (which I have been trying to do forever!). Weight has stayed the same, but I don't rely on weight since that's always fluctuating and not a good measurement. They're going to see how I do with these calories and macros for another month then possibly bump them up more.
    Then again, this is me, and I am pretty active in the gym and my goal is to lose fat and gain strength.
    When I wasn't so focused on strength and exercised less, I tried the 1200 calorie limit (eating back any exercise calories) but still gained weight. I lost more when I bumped it up to 1400 and 1600 on workout days.
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    JoJo0921 wrote: »
    Right now I do 2089 on workout days and 1689 on rest days. I was doing 1400 for a long time without any progress (and definitely not getting stronger) and my coach suggested I was eating too low to fuel my body correctly for the amount of exercise I do, which makes your body store extra fat for energy since it is not getting the energy it needs from food. So I always had a fluffy midsection. They slowly bumped my intake up and in a month I lost and inch in my waist and belly, and gained an inch and a half in my quads (which I have been trying to do forever!). Weight has stayed the same, but I don't rely on weight since that's always fluctuating and not a good measurement. They're going to see how I do with these calories and macros for another month then possibly bump them up more.
    Then again, this is me, and I am pretty active in the gym and my goal is to lose fat and gain strength.
    When I wasn't so focused on strength and exercised less, I tried the 1200 calorie limit (eating back any exercise calories) but still gained weight. I lost more when I bumped it up to 1400 and 1600 on workout days.

damn! that's awesome. I think eating more is definitely important to seeing results.. food is fuel for our body :)