Feeling Depressed

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ctheman325 wrote: »
    I've always been relatively skiny. 165 to 170lbs for 6'1 frame. Super high matabolism. So when he said I needed to eat more to counteract my body it made sense but I might of over did it. Because before I'd eat basically healthy and portion controlled. When he said eat 2700 to 3000 calories I just went to town. I was eating 1800- 2000 calories on my own. I also pulled back on the cardio though as well. So I made a lot of changes at once. I guess I have to find the happy medium.

I can tell you, you don't have a super high metabolism. Most men here are maintaining around 3000. In fact, I am one of those who maintain at that level with a desk job, 5'11, 33 years old, 175 lbs and exercise 5-6 hours a week. So if you gained that much at 3000 calories, then you probably have a very low metabolism, but since you aren't tracking, I suspect you were much higher since we tend to under estimate our calories in.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    How fast are you gaining?

I've added 11 lbs in 3 weeks.

SLOW.DOWN.

I put just shy of 20 pounds in 4.5 months. you've gained half that in practically a tenth of that time.

Good thing is- you're already super lean- so 10 pounds on your frame probably isn't much.
    If you want to gain- you have to add a moderate surplus- and then add some more. But if you gain to much to fast- the surplus is to big.

I have found tracking calories during a bulk far more invaluable then when cutting. I KNOW when I'm in a deficit- I'm cranky and tired. Bulking- much harder to do. Track and track consistently- and plan for the long game- 5 months is adequate- and YES it's VERY mental. Feeling a fat- and you don't fit in your clothes- its a constant battle. But plan for the long game and you can do it.
  • ctheman325
    ctheman325 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ok this is all very helpful. I'll start tracking my calories. Try to keep then at 350 calories per meal and 26 g of protien. I'll see if this helps to make me feel better and gain at acceptable pace.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Ok this is all very helpful. I'll start tracking my calories. Try to keep then at 350 calories per meal and 26 g of protien. I'll see if this helps to make me feel better and gain at acceptable pace.

350 calories per meal? The most important thing is having a surplus of 250 or so per day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

???

Do this ..

plug your stats into MFP, set it to .5 pound per week gain, and eat to that number...

I would also suggest getting a food scale and weighing all your foods so you know how much you are really eating.
  • ctheman325
    edited March 2016
    Options
    350 calories per meal? The most important thing is having a surplus of 250 or so per day.

250 calories of surplus? How do I know how many calories I have to consume to have a 250 calorie surplus?
  • psuLemon
    Options

250 calories of surplus? How do I know how many calories I have to consume to have a 250 calorie surplus?

Set your MFP account to gain 1/2 lb per week and monitor over 1 month. Or use a TDEE calculator.
  • EatKleanGetLean
    EatKleanGetLean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also focus on what you're putting into your body. If you're eating out a lot. Indulging in greasy high fat and high sugar foods. This is going to make you feel like crap as well. Avoid energy drinks, soda, candy, donuts, etc... Focus on getting all your calories from lean meats, nuts, beans, fruits, and veggies. Look around for recipes and start doing meal prepping so you don't find yourself snacking on crap foods. I eat 6-8 times a day and each meal/snack is around 300-400 calories. Helps regulate your metabolism and insulin levels. Won't store as much fat this way especially if you find it difficult to eat healthier foods.
  • ctheman325
    Options
    Also focus on what you're putting into your body. If you're eating out a lot. Indulging in greasy high fat and high sugar foods. This is going to make you feel like crap as well. Avoid energy drinks, soda, candy, donuts, etc... Focus on getting all your calories from lean meats, nuts, beans, fruits, and veggies. Look around for recipes and start doing meal prepping so you don't find yourself snacking on crap foods. I eat 6-8 times a day and each meal/snack is around 300-400 calories. Helps regulate your metabolism and insulin levels. Won't store as much fat this way especially if you find it difficult to eat healthier foods.

Yeah I don't eat fast food or treats. Mostly egg whites, protien shakes and chicken or fish and sometimes beef. Lots of fruits and veggies.
  • EatKleanGetLean
    EatKleanGetLean Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Yeah I don't eat fast food or treats. Mostly egg whites, protien shakes and chicken or fish and sometimes beef. Lots of fruits and veggies.

Well looks like you have the diet part in check. Just need to be patient with the gains. Muscle doesn't grow that fast lol. Hit heavier weights 6-8, 8-10 reps. Don't forget about your lower both either squats, deadlifts, lunges, box jumps, etc. Also make sure you are rotating your lifts every 2-4 weeks. I love mixing my up my lifts. I have found it extremely beneficial in getting the results I wanted over the years.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well looks like you have the diet part in check. Just need to be patient with the gains. Muscle doesn't grow that fast lol. Hit heavier weights 6-8, 8-10 reps. Don't forget about your lower both either squats, deadlifts, lunges, box jumps, etc. Also make sure you are rotating your lifts every 2-4 weeks. I love mixing my up my lifts. I have found it extremely beneficial in getting the results I wanted over the years.

Switching your routine is going to hurt your results as your body doesn't adapt that quickly. Following a structure routine, that hits muscle groups every 48 hours or roughly that, will yield much greater results then switching your routines frequently.
  • psuLemon
    Options

The amount of fat you store is based more on surplus size, training, and genetics, not the specific foods you eat. And meal frequency doesn't have an effect on your metabolism. Your metabolism works in a fairly consistent range.
  • moonsofadam
    moonsofadam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? How much do you weigh? Sometimes you need to switch up your weight lifting routine, as you'll eventually plateau because your body will get used to the normal routine. Throw in some super sets on larger muscle groups; chest, back, legs, ect. Also look into compound lifts that utilize more than one isolated muscle group.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? How much do you weigh? Sometimes you need to switch up your weight lifting routine, as you'll eventually plateau because your body will get used to the normal routine. Throw in some super sets on larger muscle groups; chest, back, legs, ect. Also look into compound lifts that utilize more than one isolated muscle group.

He has gained 11 lbs in 3 weeks, he hasn't plateaued.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

wait.
    wut?
    how do you know how much 250 calories is for a 250 calorie surplus?

you know this is a calorie tracking site right?

figure out what you need to eat on a daily basis to maintain your weight- track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth.
    Then add 250 to that.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    @ctheman325 while I'm not the same height as you, I'm 5 foot 4 or 5, before I started bulking I was very lean/skinny as well. 55kg/121lbs in fact. Took me a while to gain weight but once I hit 4,000 calories I was able to start gaining. Like what everyone has said, do it slow and aim for 0.5kg/1/2 lb per week and monitor. Weigh and log the majority of your foods. Like you at first I felt it was a lot of food but I found once I pre-logged all my foods, I knew more or less what I was going to eat and when so that come 9pm I didnt have the problem of having too many calories left and wondering how to fill them. Again like everyone has said be patient. Took me a year and half to go from 55kg/121lbs to 70kg/154lbs with most of that coming once I started to eat 4,000 calories. I'm now maintaining and like @psulemon I've to eat in or around 3,000 daily to maintain. Take the majority of the advice on board that @psulemon , @ndj1979 @arditarose and @JoRocka have given you and you will get to where you want to be. Good luck.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

As long as you are getting adequate protein, you can get a nutritious diet and include every kind of food, including some wiggle room for doughnuts or pizza or ice cream. Being on a bulk is the perfect time for SOME high calorie food. As long as you are ticking the basic boxes.

Many many people have great success bulking eating just once or twice a day. Unless you have a medical condition there is no need to eat frequent small meals. This myth has been debunked.

What matters is .8g of protein per pound of body weight per day, carbs and fat to take your calorie goal to 250-500 excess calories per day, and lifting heavy on a preogreesive known routine.

Fat storage is unavoidable on a bulk, but you can limit it by keeping a lid on those excess calories. You need to figure out your maintenance calories. It has been mentioned a few times how to do this.
  • ctheman325
    Options

As long as you are getting adequate protein, you can get a nutritious diet and include every kind of food, including some wiggle room for doughnuts or pizza or ice cream. Being on a bulk is the perfect time for SOME high calorie food. As long as you are ticking the basic boxes.

Many many people have great success bulking eating just once or twice a day. Unless you have a medical condition there is no need to eat frequent small meals. This myth has been debunked.

What matters is .8g of protein per pound of body weight per day, carbs and fat to take your calorie goal to 250-500 excess calories per day, and lifting heavy on a preogreesive known routine.

Fat storage is unavoidable on a bulk, but you can limit it by keeping a lid on those excess calories. You need to figure out your maintenance calories. It has been mentioned a few times how to do this.

Thanks guys! All this is helping. Didn't expect this many people to care.

PS SPRINGFIELD1970 looking good for 46! It guess it can be done. I have to work harder.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    For myself. 21 years old, 5'11" 174lbs. A 250 cal surplus is around 3300 a day for me. At the most you should be eating 3500. Try it at 3300 for 2 weeks. If you don't gain. Add on another 250 cals a day for another 2 weeks, until you hit a gain of around .5-1lb per week.
  • fhannah758
    fhannah758 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    late night eating. That's the trick.