Planet Fitness -- opinions please

Options
13»

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    From what you described, it will probably fit your needs.

Personally, and editorially, I wouldn't ever join one of their centers (I wouldn't call it a "gym") because I disagree with their corporate philosophies and advertisements shaming fit people.

^ My sentiments exactly, on both points. Probably a good fit for what the OP is looking for, but I wouldn't ever set foot inside a Planet Fitness facility because of their corporate hypocrisy/advertising. The most judgmental "no-judgment zone" that ever existed.

This whole PF "shaming" thing is so weak. Commercials parody almost every type of person, including lawyers, construction workers, housewives, soldiers, politicians, etc., and everyone just brushes it off, but apparently not weightlifters, they are delicate, sensitive flowers who cannot endure silly gym commercials parodying extreme gym stereotypes, lol.

"Don't cry, Dieter, come over here and give me a big greasy hug, I know, those awful PF people are so hurtful, it will be okay big guy". Seriously?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've always defended PF but this is a little over the top for me lol....

F6a82cb.jpg

That completely depends on who the franchisee is. I've been to a PF that has a squat rack and benches with olympic bars which is totally NOT the PF model.

As for the pizza and bagels . . . NO ONE SAYS YOU HAVE TO GO THERE AND EAT THEM! Seriously, what really irks me is that 100% of the people on this site will sit back and say how they can eat an entire pizza in one sitting because it 'FITS IN THEIR MACROS' and yet they will turn their nose because a gym serves pizza. Guess what? No one is forcing you to eat it! I go to PF and do you want to know how many times I've been there on pizza night? ZERO! I've been there on bagel day because well, that's in the morning when I go and sure I drink the coffee and I might take a bagel home once in a while but I don't go there specifically for that. What is the difference between a gym that has a protein bar that serves shakes with twice as many calories as a slice of pizza and a gym that serves pizza? Is it because the protein shakes are "cool" and "what one needs to have after a workout, brah"? Do you not realize that those people who probably go to PF on pizza day are the same people who would be dropping change on a billion calorie after workout protein shake? Seriously, what's the difference?

Oh, and there a lot of big dudes that go to my PF and they haven't been kicked out.

1. It shouldn't depend on the franchisee...it's *kitten* lame and it is in general what PF promotes.
    2. 100%...really...exaggerate much?
    3. Most protein shakes are around 150 calories...and it's protein, which aids in recovery...and it's like 150 calories.

• moonsofadam
    moonsofadam Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've been going to Planet Fitness for about 6 months now and I'm still enjoying it. Sure, the free weights may only go up to 75lbs, but you know what you're getting when you go there. Great cardio machines and they still offer the essentials for any weight lifter (bench, squat racks, lat pull, ect.) I have the $20 membership and I'd say the hydro massage and massage chairs add to that value. Never tried the tanning booths.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is an evil corporation, but for a cheap gym with cardio, dumbbells and basic machines it's perfectly fine.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    They feed the fear of people who are new to the whole fitness thing, by saying everybody that goes to gyms are these lunks and gym bunnies who are judging everything you do. Which is so far from the truth. So it makes the overweight people, scrawny people, and old people feel that they are being judged when they are not. A lot of new people are already scared to go to a gym because they are unfamiliar with the equipment and not really sure how to lift properly. So when you say come over here we wont judge you. They are just feeding into their fears. Weightlifters, cardio people, yoga people and all the rest including crossfitters included are not there to make fun of you they are there to workout.
  • mom2natalie
    mom2natalie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Planet Fitness, don't go. There, problem solved.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Planet Fitness, don't go. There, problem solved.
    People say that sort of thing all the time here, as though it justified this company's policies.

Somehow I doubt that these folks would be as nonchalant about it if PF were demonizing overweight people instead of the physically fit. Anyone who said, "Don't like it? Then don't go" would be instantly torn into shreds -- and justifiably so. Because this company discriminates against the physically fit though, middle America applauds their efforts instead of reacting with outrage.
  • moonsofadam
    moonsofadam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As for the lunk alarm, I've never heard it go off at my gym and people are grunting and slamming the weights all the time. No pizza at mine either...small differences here.
  • mom2natalie
    Options
    I work out there and have never seen any physically fit people being discriminated against. I'm simply saying if you don't like them you don't have to spend your money there.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    I work out there and have never seen any physically fit people being discriminated against. I'm simply saying if you don't like them you don't have to spend your money there.
    We've described numerous ways in which the physically fit ARE being discriminated against. All you have to do is watch their commercials and take note of their various gym policies, for example. Anyone who doesn't see this is willfully ignoring the evidence.
  • mom2natalie
    Options
    Answering the op's question, I joined in January when PF opened in my area. I just got the $10 monthly membership. I'm sure since it's a franchise locations will vary, but I've been happy with my experience. The gym is always clean and there is a variety of equipment. I've had a good experience, and the price is great.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been a member at 2 different locations. The only problem I ever had was in exercising at peak times. Mostly 5-8pm. Ours gets so packed that sometimes I can't get a machine. Their business model is to sell memberships to people who may or may not continue to go but keep paying the $10 because it's so cheap. So sometimes it gets too crowded at ours.

If you don't work out during 5-8pm you are probably fine.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Offering pizza freebies means creating extra temptations that would tend to work against the typical client's goals.

So then people who have food in their house are going to have to resist temptation every waking hour because it's there and readily available.
    100%? You might want to reconsider that claim. Gross exaggerations really don't help.

A good majority of them, yes. There are a lot of threads with people patting themselves on the back because they ate an entire pizza and then washed it down with a gallon of ice cream.
    Also, I think it's a safe bet that your typical PF member doesn't even know what a macro is, much less track them. That would doubtlessly be considered "lunk" behavior.

I think it's safe to say that the typical person doesn't know or care what a "macro" is.

Tell you what. You go do a search for those threads, count them, and then report back how many there are. And don't forget, the requirement is for eating a whole pizza and a gallon of ice cream. In one day, mind. No cheating by counting leftovers eaten over time.

Oh, and while you're at it, make sure to note how many are NOT in the Gaining Weight forum where it makes some sense for them to exist, yes? Perhaps in the 'what's the most calories you've consumed at one time' thread?

Something tells me this number isn't going to even approach what any rational person will consider 'a lot' of threads. Nor will the number of posters doing so approach the majority of MFP's active members.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

F6a82cb.jpg

If the plates go up to 45lb, then that is 360lb, which is pretty decent actually, but still stupid. If the plates only go to 25lb, then it is just stupid.
    Seriously, what really irks me is that 100% of the people on this site will sit back and say how they can eat an entire pizza in one sitting because it 'FITS IN THEIR MACROS' and yet they will turn their nose because a gym serves pizza.

PF isn't a gym, they say so themselves. Secondly, I love pizza, but I'd turn my nose up at whatever garbage PF serves because my pizza is so much better.

Finally (the actual point), I would say only a very small percentage actually say they can eat as much pizza as fits their calories and then turn around and complain about PF because of the pizza. We have plenty of other cheap shots we can take at PF :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

F6a82cb.jpg

That completely depends on who the franchisee is. I've been to a PF that has a squat rack and benches with olympic bars which is totally NOT the PF model.

As for the pizza and bagels . . . NO ONE SAYS YOU HAVE TO GO THERE AND EAT THEM! Seriously, what really irks me is that 100% of the people on this site will sit back and say how they can eat an entire pizza in one sitting because it 'FITS IN THEIR MACROS' and yet they will turn their nose because a gym serves pizza. Guess what? No one is forcing you to eat it! I go to PF and do you want to know how many times I've been there on pizza night? ZERO! I've been there on bagel day because well, that's in the morning when I go and sure I drink the coffee and I might take a bagel home once in a while but I don't go there specifically for that. What is the difference between a gym that has a protein bar that serves shakes with twice as many calories as a slice of pizza and a gym that serves pizza? Is it because the protein shakes are "cool" and "what one needs to have after a workout, brah"? Do you not realize that those people who probably go to PF on pizza day are the same people who would be dropping change on a billion calorie after workout protein shake? Seriously, what's the difference?

Oh, and there a lot of big dudes that go to my PF and they haven't been kicked out.

yeah mine doesnt do anything like that. i guess if they have food its when im not there (and even if it was, i wouldnt eat it cause i dont like pizza ) LOL

mine has a lot of really buff guys that most likely use PF as a secondary, or cardio gym, as i dont think our free weight section would do them much good (though we do have a squat rack and olympic bars and such), so maybe not.

ive also never seen a dress code enforced, which is good cause id probably be in violation LMAO
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    brenstar05 wrote: »
    I have never had a problem with the staff or the facility itself. I think it's funny that people are complaining about their "philosophies" and "shaming" practices. I have never seen that. They talk about being "lunk free" and "judgment free" and personally I appreciate that. I go to the gym to run and lift, not to be hit on. So, if it keeps some of the lunks away, I don't mind. That being said, I have seen many fit people, lunking around the gym and it's not like they are shaming them or kicking them out. So, if you are just going to get your workout in and keep to yourself, I think it's a great place to work out.

That's just my opinion.....

This!! I have been a member of PF for two years and I have never seen any of the negative things people think goes on at PF. Honestly most of the people I see working out there are quite fit/muscular and no one gives anyone crap about anything. I've never had to deal with what I hear a lot of people deal with at other gyms - constantly being hit on, people getting in the way by standing there taking selfies and "pretending" to work out. That sounds ridiculous to me. Everyone I see there is there to better themselves and that's it.

That doesn't happen at most gyms either BTW.

That's good. It just sounds like it's commonplace with the way people talk in the "gym pet peeves" threads around here...

By and large, the pet peeves mentioned in those discussions are entirely different from so-called "lunk" behavior. In fact, they're mostly the sort of things that non-lunks would do -- lounging on equipment, being a chatty cathy, and so forth.

I don't recall saying anything about "lunks", just whoever these people are that everyone complains about at other gyms.

I am just thankful that at *MY* PF, I haven't experienced anything negative like those have mentioned, nor have I experienced anyone getting kicked out doing deadlifts. I see people do deadlifts and squats every day at PF. It is a franchise though, so they will all be different.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    From what you described, it will probably fit your needs.

Personally, and editorially, I wouldn't ever join one of their centers (I wouldn't call it a "gym") because I disagree with their corporate philosophies and advertisements shaming fit people.

^ My sentiments exactly, on both points. Probably a good fit for what the OP is looking for, but I wouldn't ever set foot inside a Planet Fitness facility because of their corporate hypocrisy/advertising. The most judgmental "no-judgment zone" that ever existed.

This whole PF "shaming" thing is so weak. Commercials parody almost every type of person, including lawyers, construction workers, housewives, soldiers, politicians, etc., and everyone just brushes it off, but apparently not weightlifters, they are delicate, sensitive flowers who cannot endure silly gym commercials parodying extreme gym stereotypes, lol.

Do any of these commercials say that lawyers are stupid? Or that construction workers are mentally incompetent? Or that housewives are too dumb to tie their own shoelaces? That's the message that the PF ads convey.

I'll say it again: If a gym were to consistently depict overweight people as lazy or stupid, and if they offered themselves as a refuge away from such people, most of America would be up in arms... and they'd be right to complain. But if you target the physically fit people, out-of-shape Americans applaud this tactic. It's not hard to see why, as this surely makes them feel better about themselves.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Offering pizza freebies means creating extra temptations that would tend to work against the typical client's goals.

So then people who have food in their house are going to have to resist temptation every waking hour because it's there and readily available.
    There is a huge difference between "food" and "fattening food." People who understand fitness recognize this.

As for fattening food... YES, people who keep such food around do have to resist that temptation. That's what makes PF's pizza nights all the more problematic. Why compound a problem by needlessly tempting your clients? Especially since there are so many healthful options available?
    100%? You might want to reconsider that claim. Gross exaggerations really don't help.

A good majority of them, yes. There are a lot of threads with people patting themselves on the back because they ate an entire pizza and then washed it down with a gallon of ice cream.
    Another poster has already challenged you to substantiate that claim. How far have you gotten? How many of these mythical posts have you found? I think we both know that you're pulling that claim out of thin air.
    Also, I think it's a safe bet that your typical PF member doesn't even know what a macro is, much less track them. That would doubtlessly be considered "lunk" behavior.

I think it's safe to say that the typical person doesn't know or care what a "macro" is.
    Thank you for substantiating my claim. At least we agree on something.
  • Skimohunt
    Skimohunt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love planet fitness. I feel comfortable there. It's not like a Golds Gym and you can cancel anytime. It's relatively inexpensive, nice facility, lots of machines and weighs.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't know what the big deal is to some people but I have a membership with PF and have no complaints. It's cheap and has the equipment i need to get workouts done. Good luck!