20% RDV Thiamin
    19% RDV Folate
    53% RDV Vitamin D6
    47% RDV Potassium
    18% RDV Iron
    22% RDV Magnesium
    21% RDV Phosphorus
    34% RDV Manganese

All for 290 delicious calories that can be paired with almost anything else. Eat your potatoes, and rejoice for they are good for you!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If you're planning to eat them plain: instead of just boiling the potatoes, try cutting them up raw and throwing them in the oven for 30-40 minutes. (200°c/400F) That way the cut up slices become super puffy and french fry-like without adding any oil or salt! If you want to be extra fancy, you can take them out at the 15 minute mark and flip them around, then put them back in for another 15 min. This is now my FAVORITE way to eat potatoes!

This is similar to my favorite way, except I add a spritz of oil and some salt. (And sometimes garlic.)

I definitely keep the skin on, as that's where lots of the nutrition is.

They also taste good with 0% Fage greek yogurt if one is a sour cream fan.

For boiled/mashed potatoes, which I do rarely, I do add a bit of butter, just not a lot. If you don't add too much it's not all that high cal.

I do put some salt/spices on mine too, sometimes! They are pretty amazing that way, and even plain. A dip will work wonders with them, too. I especially like having some ketchup and dijon mustard with my potatoes.

Also, the skin is a must!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Potatoes are VERY nutritious.

A 220 g serving of potatoes has, among other things:

7 grams fiber
    64% RDV Calcium
    20% RDV Thiamin
    19% RDV Folate
    53% RDV Vitamin D6
    47% RDV Potassium
    18% RDV Iron
    22% RDV Magnesium
    21% RDV Phosphorus
    34% RDV Manganese

All for 290 delicious calories that can be paired with almost anything else. Eat your potatoes, and rejoice for they are good for you!

And 220g is a pretty small serving to begin with... >:) Still so much bang for your buck!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    Are boiled potatoes a yes or no wen trying to lose weight?

of course, if you like!

i personally avoid them, and go for things like cauliflower-fennel soup instead of potato-leek soup, or baked squash (half the calories per weight, and i love the flavors of different squashes). but that's just because i like to stuff myself and go for lower calories per volume of food.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We've been going potato crazy this week. I love potatoes. And I have lost 11kg since early December :D
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love a baked potato with a tin of tuna and some sweetcorn. If I have left over casserole / curry / chilli etc I have a baked potato with the leftovers.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are good for us, just weigh them, log them and enjoy :smile:
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I bake mine in butter :D best thing in the world :D However this way I don't get to eat a tone of them, but I'm happy with my small serving size. Husband can eat the rest..he is skinny anyway :D
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Can you eat them plain? Without adding a ton of butter, sour cream, bacon, tons of cheese?
    Then yes, its a good food for losing weight.
    A med potato can be just 150 calories, 4 grams of fiber, lots of vitamin C, B6, and loaded with potassium.

I eat potatoes fried in oil. Or baked potatoes topped with bacon, butter, and greek yogurt and still lose weight just fine. It's called portion control. I don't ever want to be on a "diet" where my food is plain, bland, and unenjoyable. Everything in moderation.

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Can you eat them plain? Without adding a ton of butter, sour cream, bacon, tons of cheese?
    A med potato can be just 150 calories, 4 grams of fiber, lots of vitamin C, B6, and loaded with potassium.

I eat potatoes fried in oil. Or baked potatoes topped with bacon, butter, and greek yogurt and still lose weight just fine. It's called portion control. I don't ever want to be on a "diet" where my food is plain, bland, and unenjoyable. Everything in moderation.

Strong yes on this one :)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I like them with butter, bacon, cheese, and ranch. :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Another potato lover, here! I like mine baked. I like to make them tasty by brushing a wee bit of oil and a sprinkle of salt before cooking. Makes the skin so delicious and crispy.

Others have already shared the wonderful nutrition they contain. And, personally for me, I find potatoes very filling. I eat them in place of pasta or rice (which I just don't care for, anyway). Top a potato with yesterday's leftovers for a cheap and quick lunch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

They are irrelevant...calories, calories, calories...calories and hitting your calorie targets is what matters...whether or not you eat potatoes has nothing to do with anything.
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Michelle do you exercise a lot?

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Eat the potatoes!! It's okay! For a long time I thought potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. were "bad" and I avoided them. How wrong I was. They are so, so good!
    (In moderation, like everything else)

"Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!"
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    The only medical reason to avoid white potatoes is insulin resistance. Even then, you just work them in...
    I love a fluffy baked potato in its jacket with pastured butter & whole milk Greek yogurt. I eat one or two a month that way. I still lose weight if I'm in a deficit.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    Michelle do you exercise a lot?

Nope. I try to make my 10,000 steps per day, but that's it. Aside from the occasional splurge, I'm nearly always within my calorie range and I enjoy every bite of food that I eat.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

As long as you can fit it into your calorie goal, go for it.

Why would potatoes be a "no"?
    This.
    A good number of people believe white foods are eh debilz where weight loss is concerned.

Yeah, stay away from those people! Potatoes are highly nutritious. And carbs are not evil, either.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I tend to eat more potatoes when watching my weight, because they're so much more filling than pasta or rice.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    I'll be slicing and frying some blue potatoes for dinner tonight :)