Walking Too Much For Dog?

Options
I wasn't sure if this was the right forum, but I was wondering if I'm walking too much for my dog? She's a chihuahua, and we walked a mile today, and she seemed a lot more tired then after the 3/4 of a mile we walked the last time. She's not overweight or underweight, and she's obviously a very active dog, given her breed.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you don't normally walk that far it may have been a bit too much at once. She'll adapt to it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    well yeah,take it easy on her and let her build up slowly, thats a lot of footsteps for a tiny dog. Maybe carry her half way and be sure to bring lots of water for her and maybe some snacks. and let her rest. I've seen people run their dogs to death, literally , thinking they can keep up.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to take my beagles hiking and they would walk like a champ for 18 miles a day. I can't imagine a mile being too much.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Surely there are guidelines for the recommended exercise for the little one. I can't imagine that one mile, or even ten miles would be excessive. I followed a couple last week for six miles and they were walking a chi.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my german shepherd can keep up with me, easy. my mini schnauzer .... well... not so much. mainly cause hes lazy.

so he gets slower paced walks where he can stop and smell every single rock and bush and mailbox post, and my shepherd gets to run with me LOL
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It was our first mile, so that may have contributed some. We typically do a really slow half to three quarters of a mile, and this was more fast paced (for us, lol) in addition to being longer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If she's like me, she's just looking for an excuse to turn for home. :) This is new for her. She'll get on board.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You really have to work up time/distance with dogs just like with people. I have greyhounds and go through C25k with them to get them to adjust to running distances. They spend their careers running but it's all sprinting and under a half mile.
  • Nezz123
    Nezz123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can probably see from the profile pic--we're a family of "dog" people! My sis works at an animal rescue/rehab place; she has to monitor her pug/chihuahua mix on walks. She explained to me that dogs don't *show* when they're tired the way humans do, until they REALLY pooped. They're good at hiding exhaustion, partly because they're genuinely excited and partly because of the instinct to try to appear strong and invulnerable at all times. I knew birds do that (i.e. basically try to act tough so other animals won't mess with them), but apparently dogs hide their vulnerabilities too.

But, I think you're doing the right thing. You noticed she's seeming extra tired, so maybe reduce to 1/2 mile and work back up to 3/4 in a few weeks?

Trying this with a shitzu now. He loves outside so much that he doesn't know when to stop, but after about 1/2 mile I have to take him home for snuggles. (....Which also has its health benefits!)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depends on the dog. My hiking buddy has a tiny little Yorkie -she can easily do at least 5 miles. We even did a 14 mile hike over the summer and she carried the dog probably less than a mile of it.
  • marissam08
    marissam08 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This type of breed doesn't need much walking. Mine get tired with only half a mile she not overweight or underweight either, she is slightly active around the house! She is not lazy( she weights around 5 pounds very small dog! :)
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Want to trade for my German Shorthaired Pointer? For him a 6 mile run is a warm up.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This would be a better question for your vet. He/She should be able to tell you how much you should exercise your particular dog.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    increase her distance slowly and carry her sometimes. That's what a friend of mine does with her little terrier cross (a very small dog)
  • fishccer
    fishccer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Want to trade for my German Shorthaired Pointer? For him a 6 mile run is a warm up.

Lol, our springers are the same...they say springers don't get tired, they just get fitter. We can walk 4 miles, they'll probably do triple that along with a swim and a wade through any mud they can find...
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    How long are the dogs legs? Maybe an inch? Seriously a mile on those legs is like a human doing twenty miles. Slow down and pick the stubby legged critter up☺.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Dogs are no different than people and need to work into more exercise. Also, check her feet - see if she's rubbing them raw on the pavement. Those will toughen with time and effort, too, but they can get some nasty road rash until they do. In the summer be aware that black pavement can burn their feet even through tough callouses.

I don't take my dog running with me because he can't keep up. He's good for 4 miles and then he's done. I could work him into it, but my short runs are 6 miles - I'd need to rework my schedule completely for him and it'd be months before he could manage a long run. Besides, he's seems happy enough to work off his energy by playing with his canine and feline buddies.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Personally, a chihuahua is a lap dog, not a profound walk dog. The dog is tiny and a mile probably is too much for a tiny dog. Walk that kind of dog in a dog stroller. I also worry about the bottom of all dog's foot pads. If the payment is too hot for you to walk barefoot on, then it is too hot for your dog's foot pads too..
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    This would be a better question for your vet. He/She should be able to tell you how much you should exercise your particular dog.

^ Best advice so far. I'd take the advice of my vet over anything here. They would also would be able to give you guidelines for walking in cold or hot temps.

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    My Chihuahua / jack Russell can go 1.5 miles easy, but just like you they have to work up to it. Also, structured exercise like a walk burns more energy in them than just running around their yard.

This is why dog trainers keep telling people to WALK your high energy/bad behaving dog and they are unimpressed that your dog ran around the yard with the kids for an hour.