Nervous about eating out!

Options
Okay, so I just really declared my lifestyle change yesterday. My whole family is doing it so I feel that it will be very little temptation in my house now. However, I still do have a life and today, a friend of mine and I are going to meet up for lunch. This is super risky for me because I am a newborn in this lifestyle change and I feel like I am already putting myself in "harm's way."

So many activities I do with my friends involve eating out. I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle but I don't want to give up my social life in order to get there. So, does anyone have any tips that will aid me in making the right choices when I am eating out?

Appreciated! xx
Andrea

Replies

• diamondsnthesky
    diamondsnthesky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If possible, look up the menu and nutritional facts for the restaurant online BEFORE you go. Make healthy choices using that information and then stick to it! Plan your day ahead so you know how many calories you have. Plan to exercise if you know you'll be over.

It's all about planning and keeping to it. Good luck in your journey!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Just focus on enjoying their company and not the food----no one says you have to order anything at all if you eat before you go. Instead of going to a restaurant, why not go bowling or meet at a park or a coffee shop. You will still have a good time without all that being around you. Remember, the whole reason for doing anything wiht your friends is to enjoy their company. Keep that in focus.
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    If you know where you will be going check them out online. MOST places these days will have a menu and many you will find will have nutrition info as well! Pre-planning is the best way ....for me! Good luck!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, you still have to live your life, and you will never not eat out again, just do some research on the food before you go and order light and enjoy it. If need be get in a workout afterwards/
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You can still eat out and have fun, just pick healthier options! Go for grilled instead of fried, veggies instead of fries, or salads (just watch what they put on them).... Small portions and lots lots lots of water!! Good luck and have fun!!!
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Lots of restaurants have low cal, weight watchers, etc menus. Just ask your server, they should know!
  • MizzCNyle
    MizzCNyle Posts: 40
    Options
    If you have an android phone there is an app called Restaurant Nutrition! it has food listings.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Order something more nutritious or smaller or don't finish your meal. I hate wasting food, but I have to tell myself whether or not I eat the whole plate it still costs me the same dollars, the only difference is the whole plate is bad for my health!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I definitely check the website before I go. Also focus on talking with your friend instead of scarfing down food. Order something that will be decent reheated and take at least half home. For example. I LOVE chicken quesadillas...usually restaurants cut them into 4 pieces and I eat 2. The other week I went somewhere that cut it into 3 larger pieces. I only ate one and ended up getting two more meals out of it. Be creative with the way you order. I will now ALWAYS ask for a quesadilla to be cut into 3 pieces!
  • MrsK612
    MrsK612 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking ahold of your lifestyle! Dining out is a lifestyle for my husband & me, and I know we can't cut that out or we'll never succeed. So, I try to find restuarants that will give me more choices, and I stay away from the ones that have the temptations that I can't resist (ie French Fries). Grilled fish or chicken is fairly common at restaurants (I had a great Grilled Mahi at Joe's Crab Shack last night)...and often are served with steamed vegetables. In fact, if you ask for them, sometimes a restuarant will sub veggies for French Fries. Drink lots of water; add a side salad (with dressing on the side), and skip the bread if you're an addict like me! lol You'll make good choices if it's important enough to you...and if you don't, relax: it's just one meal. Make up for it later with better choices or more exercise. I love that you acknowledge that you have to live your life! I agree totally!!

Good luck to you...at lunch...and on your new lifestyle!
    Shannon
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is on a prep diet for a bodybuilding competition and his trainers let him know he can eat a certain places, such as, Texas Roadhouse or Outback Steakhouse. He just needs to order the steak cooked in no butter or oil. I have tried it and it still tastes great with just the spices. Also, he can have sweet potatoes dry with spalenda and cinnamon.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    If you end up with a bigger meal, ask them for a takeout container right away.

Split your meal and put half of it into the take out container.
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My main caloric off-set is to do exercise. Front load your weekly caloric allocation to allow for some social eating such as BBQs and lunch parties. As long as your week (not necessarily your day) is balanced, you should be fine. I also preview the menus online and decide what I'm ordering BEFORE I go based on the nutrition information.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I completely know how you feel! When I first started I got into the habit of logging my foods and exercise no problem. Then the first time of eating out came round and it felt like I didn't know what to do...

Some great tips on here, my tip would be to get some exercise in so you've got a nice calorie buffer to work with. Plan a nice dinner for when you get home - that may discourage you from having dessert at lunch. Do your friends know you're trying to lose weight? You don't have to go on about it, but just making a comment about looking for a healthy option may bring out some supportive help from them.

Ultimately, if you do go over (and when you're eating out, it's really hard not to), don't sweat it. It's one day and you can factor in working those calories off over the next few days.

Enjoy your lunch and your time with your friends. :smile:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    First of all, I will tell you from doing this for a little while now~it will be a constant learning process. If you read threads, even articles on yahoo, or anywhere....there are constantly things to be learned in the health/fitness world! I think I learn something new everyday!! So no matter what~just stick with it!!

Most larger restaurants have their nutritional info. on their websites. Anytime I go out to eat I get online and check out the nutritional info and usually have it already planned out what I'm going to order before I get there. So many times I thought I was ordering something health (ier) looking and come to find out later...it was far from. If they don't offer the nutritional info online, then just make your best judgement.

With a little bit of planning and will power~ You can do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead...find out where you will be eating out before you go and then look up the menu ahead of time and already know what you will be ordering when you get there. Also, a little tip I have heard on here is to order first so you are not tempted to change what you want after other people start ordering. And drink water, water, water, water!!! That will help wash away the sodium that eating out can add to you.