Bored after the first few minutes on treadmill. What to do?

Options
13»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm in the go outside and run in the real camp. If you really can't run outside then try distraction techniques, but...
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hmm, pick another cardio machine or different cardio that you find more interesting.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Zombies! Run
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    go outside...run and walk outside...
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I can only do the treadmill for about 30 min max. Like others have said, a recumbent bike works wonders. I am on one as I type this.
  • CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I watch whatever Netflix series I am currently watching, or listen to audiobooks. I walk briskly, I do not run. Makes the time fly by and I am not watching the minutes count down on the treadmill.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Melolson14 - I do the Netflix/Music/Reading on my iPad too... but I also vary the speed & incline manually or use a preset throughout to keep switching it up, and when I'm at a walking pace I lift 5lbs weights. I also have mine setup near windows so I can look outside instead of watching the screen. Hope that helps!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I used to do the "watch TV with closed captions and listen to music thing" while on the treadmill but even then I got bored of it. Moved on to the stepmill for a while because that thing takes concentration. Well, for me anyway. I do very little cardio now but if I use the treadmill it will be in the summer because one cardio room at my gym is on the 2nd floor with the machines facing the windows that overlook the outdoor pool. People-watching at the pool is at least somewhat interesting for 30 min. or so.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sometimes watching sports with a fair amount of movement (football/basketball/hockey) helps me
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't use a treadmill but I know that when I ride my stationary bike I get bored unless I am following a video with a leader taking me through different scenarios....works even better than watching a show
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill...but if you don't get the same out of it, do something else :smiley:
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Find an activity you enjoy, if something bores you it is doomed to fail!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    YouTube. I've caught up on almost the whole Good Mythical Morning library.
  • yourfriendlaurie
    yourfriendlaurie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I watch TV shows and movies on my Kindle Fire. I choose exciting/scary shows because I need something that really draws me in to distract me. TV dramas are good because they're usually about 45 minutes, which is how long I try to work out, but I also like movies because I stop halfway through the movie and am then excited to work out the next day so I can finish it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also pick outdoor running as often as I can. If I am on the treadmill I play head games. If there's a television show, I set up intervals based on the commercials, upping the pace through the commercial and then back down again. I've got 21st century wi-fi brain and if I am not engaged in something within three minutes, I'm drifting.

I like the Zombie Run, You Tube and music ideas. You may decide that you will only watch a particular series WHEN you are on the treadmill.
  • lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Are you walking or running on the treadmill? If I'm walking I find reading a good book passes the time quickly.

If I'm running, I listen to my favorite songs while playing number games with the time/distance. Most treadmills have a light display that looks like a lap and blinks little lights as you run around the lap. I'll count each blink or count how many seconds between each light lighting up... It's extremely ocd, but it's surprising how quickly the time passes - lol

Me too! And working out how far I've done as a fraction, trying to get the distance to a round number as the time gets to a round number... glad I'm not the only numbers geek!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Audio books - try Librivox for freebies if you are happy to listen to classics. Or podcasts, lots of great things that keep me interested.
    I do agree with other posters though, if it's so boring for you, you might try something else.