Running Gear

Options
I'm participating in a half marathon in September. I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I know I need new running shoes for sure. What else do you think I might need? Maybe a new sports bra? I just can't spend very much on this, so I need to know what basics I need and where I can find a good deal. Thanks!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Shoes take number one priority! For that length of time I would think a good sports bra is important too though. Other than that, can't really think of anything worth spending money on. I've seen all kinds of interesting gadgets for carrying teeny water bottles around your waist, etc. They'll probably be more hassle than they're worth.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I would say the only NECESSARY thing would be good running shoes. If you've been training for a while I'm guessing you already have some comfortable running shorts, decent socks, and a sports bra that you like. Other than that, a good tshirt or tank top should do just fine for training and race day. If, however, you would like some new gear (and what girl doesn't love to get a little something for the effort :happy: ) I would go to TJMaxx or Marshalls if you've got one closeby. I've found my particular running shoe there at half retail price and some great clothes at about the same discount.

Good luck!
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Congrats on doing the half! I'm doing one in October. Shoes are most important. Go to a professional store and get your gait analyzed, and get fitted for the right shoe for your foot type. Do you have current gear that's still alright? I don't think anything NEW is that important. I absolutely LOVE my Skirtsports running skirt. Has a pocket on each leg for GU, mp3 player, or whatever. It's pricey, but you can google-shop it for cheaper. Regular shorts always ride up on me, and the skirt has fitted compression shorts underneath. Good fitting bra is important. Good socks (poly-blend). Target has great shorts/bras/technical t-shirts, tanks and tops. If you have a TJMaxx or Marshalls, they have cheaper athletic wear. If you have Kohl's, they also have great running wear, and always have coupons. Make sure you wear and test anything new for several long runs, so no surprises. I bought "Body Glide", because I just ran a 10-mile race, and my tried-and-true bra ended up chaffing my chest (ouchie).
  • tilda_g
    tilda_g Posts: 19
    Options
    Definitely shoes and bra. This is the only time I'd ever condone using the term 'investment' in terms of clothing - with these items you get back what you put in (especially if you're large busted!). Everything else (clothes, fancy electronics) comes second. If you fancy more gear, TKMaxx tends to have good deals on sports clothing (leggings, vests, etc) which are good for wicking away sweat and keeping you cool. I wouldn't bother with a drinks bottle, as plenty of water will be provided and its just a hassle to carry. Amazon also has lots of gadgets, sometimes at vastly reduced prices.

Good luck! A half marathon is one of my vague ambitions, you should be proud for actually doing it!