The last 5 pounds.

Options
13»

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Scale moved this week after a long time of a half a pound up and then down again - now at 126.8 - 1.8 from goal.

On another note- when I look at TDEE calculations, I think there is no possible way I could lose weight on that - it gives me like 1600+ to lose weight given my amount of exercise. I barely lose any on 1250 per day (plus eating back half of exercise calories so more like 1400 per day). If I ate that much I would barely maintain if not gain. How is this possible? I see people on here who lose on TDEE, but I've always used the MFP calories given and now I'm at .5 loss per week at 1250 calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @dramaqueen45 It doesn't matter what method you use TDEE/MFP either way works, its just a preference.

To lose at TDEE you eat at deficit say 10 % of that TDEE amount. So IF your TDEE is really 1600 then you could eat around 1440 and lose around 1/2lb per week.

I prefer TDEE method, I maintain on 2100-2300 calories. I lose 1/2lb per week eating 1800-1900 calories. I'm 5ft 2/46yrs and very active.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @dramaqueen45 It doesn't matter what method you use TDEE/MFP either way works, its just a preference.

To lose at TDEE you eat at deficit say 10 % of that TDEE amount. So IF your TDEE is really 1600 then you could eat around 1440 and lose around 1/2lb per week.

I prefer TDEE method, I maintain on 2100-2300 calories. I lose 1/2lb per week eating 1800-1900 calories. I'm 5ft 2/46yrs and very active.

You must be very active! Just curious as to what you do for exercise, if you don't mind my asking? I'm not very active, just try to hit the gym or take a long walk 3-4 times a week and I need to be around 1200-1300 calories to lose a half pound a week.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it! I keep going up the same 2-3 lbs from my lowest recorded weight at 119.5. I want to go down to 115 but at this point lowering my calories further feels like the biggest pain in the butt! Even eating at maintenance for 120lbs makes me feel a little crazy!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    If you read my post I said it gives me 1600 per day to lose based on my daily exercise- not 1600 - 10%. Now at my current weight it is giving me more like 1660 to lose, which still too high- that's with exercise. Maybe it's just my hypothyroid disease that is affecting it, but I find TDEE way too high to lose anything.

One thing I've found with the last 5 is that you cannot have any cheat days and you can't sneak in BLTs (bites, licks and tastes). I have a bad habit of doing that when I'm cooking, especially if I'm hungry when I'm cooking. If I am really careful I can lose .5 per week, but if I do that and have 2-3 days of being lax in what I eat (such as a weekend getaway, etc) I will easily gain 1.5 pounds in 3-4 days. So easy to put it back on.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't actually say it's harder to lose the last 5lbs at all - if you've lost a large amount of weight perhaps because you now need less calories to maintain so it feels more restrictive. To me it just the same calorie deficit required.
    The other side of the coin is that the last 5lbs are far more obvious visually and therefore rewarding.

By the way the glycogen/water weight bounce isn't a certainty at all - never happens for me. It can happen but there's loads of factors such as speed of loss, carb restriction, eating patterns..... Also I feel people forget that once you stop losing your natural weight fluctuations appear much more significant - instead of slower/faster weight loss it's now gaining/losing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    pvju wrote: »
    I'm not really clear on this TDEE things and cycling one's calorie deficit during the week. I did a TDEE calcular. It gave me a BMR and TDEE calorie counts but I guess I don't quite get how to use this. Can someone explain?

@pvju
    The bit that's missing from the TDEE estimate is that it's an average Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
    Your actual TDEE varies every day depending mostly on activity and exercise.

So if you take a TDEE of 2000 that's your average daily maintenance amount.
    If you take it over a week you now have 14000 calories to allocate over the week however best suits you. Lower during the week and higher at the weekend is one way of allocating that allowance. Or save some for special events - the choice is yours.

Remember that the calculation is an estimate only, adjustment based on actual results over a long period of time is probably required.