Learning to run

Options
Please give me tips on beginning this process. Dos and don'ts please

Replies

• nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1. Get fitted for good running shoes.
    2. Don't make it too difficult at first so you don't burn out or get injured.
    3. Focus on breathing.
    4. Stay hydrated.
    5. Keep your upper body relaxed.
    6. Stretch after your runs.
    7. Enjoy the post-run endorphins feelings!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program. My advice = run slow. Work on speed later. I think I can walk faster than I can run right now.
  • tiffanynew2015
    tiffanynew2015 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I do tend to tense up in my upper body....
  • nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I do tend to tense up in my upper body....

I used to do that too. If I start getting tired and winded, I will really slow down to an extremely slow jog until I catch my breath. Also, I focus on different body parts to propel me forward...calves, glutes, arms, etc..
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to go so slow that you think people laugh at you. You only have to beat the person sitting at home on the couch and the person you were last month. (And run/walking is perfectly fine! My running coach has completed marathons that way.)

That said, give yourself some (reasonable!) challenges. Decide you're going to go an extra mile this run. Find a hill to run up. See how fast you can run to the next tree without gasping for air. This will make you get better, fitter, and you'll have more fun.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k for sure
  • bluespidermonkey
    bluespidermonkey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Think about your posture. Keep your back straight and your head up. Swing your arms and definitely the C25k plan - I am half way through and it's awesome.
    Oh and wear headphones so you can be in your own little bubble and ignore the world :
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    lean forward, keep you head up and back straight, but don't be stiff. one trick to keeping your upper body loose is to NOT make fists with your hands. that'll help to keep your shoulders relaxed. swing your arms, but it doesn't need to be an exaggerated movement like you're doing a 40 yard dash.

ditch the headphones. take in your surroundings and be mindful of your stride and your rhythem.
  • tiffanynew2015
    tiffanynew2015 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate it. Let's see how all this advice works out :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I love this: Don't be afraid to go so slow that you think people laugh at you. You only have to beat the person sitting at home on the couch.

I shall remember this when I start C25K next week and people are looking at me weird.

C25k by Zenlabs syncs with MFP.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1. Get fitted for good running shoes.
    2. Don't make it too difficult at first so you don't burn out or get injured.
    3. Focus on breathing.
    4. Stay hydrated.
    5. Keep your upper body relaxed.
    6. Stretch after your runs.
    7. Enjoy the post-run endorphins feelings!

Some of the best advice.

Also I'd like to add ..... set a goal event like a 5km whatever you want. Work towards that common goal and look to your peers for inspiration. As you work towards and accomplish your goal you will be feeling so much exhilaration and sense of accomplishment. And when you look bad you can say "Yup I did that".

Structure your weekly running based on your fitness level (the following is just an example... you can find better structured more thought out programs online)

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Short Run
    Wednesday - Rest (stretch like yoga)
    Thursday - Short Run
    Friday - Short Run
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Long Run

If this is too much start at a more comfortable schedule and customize to your own desire. I just find that having a weekly plan allows us runners to maintain consistency. You see because motivation gets you started but habit keeps you Goin ;)

All the best!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I usually do my run training alone, but this fall, my trainer asked me to be a pacing coach for a half marathon group. As a result, I got to work with a bunch of runners, many of whom were just starting out. I had a really great experience meeting such an enthusiastic group of people! The new runners were eager to learn and benefitted from the group support. So my suggestion is to find a local running group (perhaps at your local running store) and sign up to join them. This will ensure your progress and you will enjoy meeting people with a similar goal. And don't worry about your running speed. The groups typically separate runners into pace groups, so you'll run with people who are at the same speed and fitness level as you. Its a lot of fun!

Good luck.
  • Run_for_my_life
    Run_for_my_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Get fitted, start slow and small. STRETCH before relax during, enjoy the journey and STRETCH after
  • ntapley
    ntapley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out too... gonna build up to a 5k first.... bit scary though if you're not a runner.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes. Stay hydrated. Go your own pace. Slowly build up your endurance. Have fun! I started this about 35 years ago and it has always served me well.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Running is definitely an art. I read about Chi and Pose techniques. These styles seem to activate my glutes more and help propel me forward faster with less muscle fatigue.

Shorter/quicker strides can help prevent shin splints. Forward lean can help with momentum. Touching finger tip to thumb can help keep arms/ shoulders relaxed. Superfeet insoles are about as close to custom orthotics as you may be able to get.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Thanks, I love this: Don't be afraid to go so slow that you think people laugh at you. You only have to beat the person sitting at home on the couch.

I shall remember this when I start C25K next week and people are looking at me weird.

C25k by Zenlabs syncs with MFP.

I think we spent a lot more time worrying about this than anyone else does! People dont really pay attention to you. Another runner "might" but they're not gonna look at you weird, they'll admire your effort, whatever level you or they are at. As for anyone else, if they think you're running weird, let them join you and show you how to improve!