Protein Question

Options
When is it best to take protein to build muscle? I've heard both; it's best drinking a protein shake within the first hour after completing a work out || it's best to drink it 30min-1hour after completing a work out..

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Unless you're competing at an elite bodybuilding level where timing might give you that extra fraction of a percentage edge, don't stress about it, as the difference to most of us is insignificant.

Focus on ensuring you hit your daily calorie and macro goals, but don't major in the minors
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unless you're competing at an elite bodybuilding level where timing might give you that extra fraction of a percentage edge, don't stress about it, as the difference to most of us is insignificant.

Focus on ensuring you hit your daily calorie and macro goals, but don't major in the minors

So much this.

But as an aside, while still not conclusive, it would be recommended to get some level of carbs and protein 2 hours pre- or post - workout. But that is assuming everything else is in order and you are at a fairly elite level.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is negligible compared to amount of protein you consume. Aim for .8g per lean body weight (lbs) + Lift consistently = results
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Hit your macros and you'll be fine. I personally can't finish a gym sesh properly without a post shake, but that's purely out of habit. The most important time would be right after you wake up, since you generally go catabolic throughout the night.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I go for the 'steady stream of amino acids' school of thought.

Seeing that repair takes place 24 hours a day, it makes sense to me.

.8g protein per lb of body weight (approx). Spread evenly throughout your eating window.

• devjmaul
    devjmaul Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it's an intense workout where you are ready breaking down the muscle fibers you will want to take some relatively quick digesting protein and carbs after your workout expecially if you didn't have much or any before the workout or that day. The reason being your body will go into repair mood after that workout (which is where the muscle building really takes place) and you need to ensure there is enough inflow of protein and carbs into your system to be used for repair. If you don't have enough, you body could use its own muscle tissue for energy and in the most simplest terms cannibalize your gains. Hope that helps.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Drink it in the first 20-30 mins after workout for sure. Have another 15-20 grams with each meal.
  • lionsfan802
    lionsfan802 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to get a protein shake first thing in the morning. Then eat several high protein meals throughout the day and snack on Greek yogurt since it is very high in protein. But ultimately try to get most protein in food instead of relying on shakes. I only use protein shakes in morning and when I'm a hurry for something.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'll take a protein shake (unflavoured whey + water) right after a workout.

On the days I don't workout, I rely on real food.