I binged my way into "obesity," starved my way back out, and then I finally saw the light.

Options

Replies

• soniamemms
    soniamemms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @distinctlybeautiful, I love this article! I'm trying to do the weight lifting thing right now. I'm supposed to be at 1400 cal intake and then I was working our 3-5 days at the gym. Cardio everyday and weights, 2 days a week. Burning on average, 350 calories each day. Thing is, I wasn't losing weight. I hadn't seen results in Over a month! I am 5'3" 153 lbs, and it like to get to 140. I just feel like I going nowhere. I have lost 2 pounds in the past 2 months, a total of 20 calories. What are your thoughts on protein powder? Just started taking it 3 days ago.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @soniamemms I'm not sure how I didn't see this post until just now, but I'm glad you liked reading it! I use protein powder, and as a vegetarian, there's no way I'd hit my protein otherwise. I use Isopure unflavored whey protein. I used to mix it with Crystal Light raspberry lemonade, but I could still taste it and eventually couldn't choke it down anymore. Then I realized whey protein is essentially milk protein, and I started mixing it with milk and Instant Breakfast (a chocolate milk left that I think is actually called Breakfast Essentials now). It tastes like protein powder isn't even there. Besides that I rely heavily on dairy for my protein. How are you like the powder so far?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    *a chocolate milk mix
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    This is nice to see! Thanks for bumping this post.

I was always an overweight kid, but I really started struggling with binging and a long period of anorexia after high school. I'm actually a little under two weeks out of a long binge last February.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You've made fantastic progress (I also love your Hello Kitty jammies)!
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That's so amazing! Congrats on getting in shape and living a happier life!

I struggle with binge eating. I don't have anorexia. But it's like I go a couple of days of eating just under my calorie goal and making good choices, but then the sugar craving hits so hard I end up binge eating on sweets. I ate so much sweets all my life. I don't know why. Maybe it was taught because my mom and dad struggle with it too. I'm 25. I wish I could get in control of it.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    @moribunny Thanks! And I love them too.. hardly ever wear them together though. Go figure..

@momo_t90 Thank you! I totally know that out of control feeling, like you want to change and are going to do better but then end up right back in the same habits. It's so discouraging. I wish I could tell you exactly what it was that snapped me out of, but I'm not sure I could pinpoint one thing. Two thoughts.. Have you tried calculating your maintenance calories and sticking to that? It might be easier than trying to stay lower than that. And do you include sweets in your day when you have those couple good days? You're more likely to stick to it if you don't deprive yourself completely. (Please forgive me if that sounds like a bunch of bullsh*t you've already heard before. As soon as I finished typing I thought, those things probably wouldn't have helped me much when I felt out of control, but I'm gonna leave it anyway in case it helps in any way.)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Great job, I can only imagine trying to do it with eating disorders.
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What an inspirational story. You truly have made a positive lifestyle change, I can so relate to things you wrote about. There really is no better feeling to me than being in control of myself. Thank you for sharing and I wish you continued success on your journey!
  • momo_t90
    Options
    @moribunny Thanks! And I love them too.. hardly ever wear them together though. Go figure..

@momo_t90 Thank you! I totally know that out of control feeling, like you want to change and are going to do better but then end up right back in the same habits. It's so discouraging. I wish I could tell you exactly what it was that snapped me out of, but I'm not sure I could pinpoint one thing. Two thoughts.. Have you tried calculating your maintenance calories and sticking to that? It might be easier than trying to stay lower than that. And do you include sweets in your day when you have those couple good days? You're more likely to stick to it if you don't deprive yourself completely. (Please forgive me if that sounds like a bunch of bullsh*t you've already heard before. As soon as I finished typing I thought, those things probably wouldn't have helped me much when I felt out of control, but I'm gonna leave it anyway in case it helps in any way.)

Lol, no it's alright. I figured out my maintenance calories, but I'm doing pretty good staying under it. I also had to up my calories a little bit, but I think I've found the sweet spot. And I've thought about allowing some sweets into my diet, but it's so easy for that to get out of control. Once I have a little bit, I want more. And that warning switch in the brain that tells you to stop turns off. So I end up binging on sweets until I feel sick. It's kind of sad and gross at the same time.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    excellent job - what a great example!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    Thanks, y'all, your kind words are so helpful :)
    momo_t90 wrote: »
    Lol, no it's alright. I figured out my maintenance calories, but I'm doing pretty good staying under it. I also had to up my calories a little bit, but I think I've found the sweet spot. And I've thought about allowing some sweets into my diet, but it's so easy for that to get out of control. Once I have a little bit, I want more. And that warning switch in the brain that tells you to stop turns off. So I end up binging on sweets until I feel sick. It's kind of sad and gross at the same time.

This reminds me of how bad I used to feel about myself when I was binging. It made me think of this article I read the other day. You might like it..

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/try_selfcompassion
  • momo_t90
    Options
    ^Thanks. I do like it. :smile: That's also something I've been working on.
  • Dekayla13
    Dekayla13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! I love your pajamas by the way :)
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    Thanks! I love them too, but oddly enough I rarely wear them together.. go figure!
  • becks_queenofthehills
    Options
    thanks for sharing that! i think your attitude is great, and your goals to be healthy are perfect. your experiences are similar to mine... im 32 and i'm still finding it quite hard to have a healthy attitude to food but i'm getting there slowly. xxx
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    @becks_queenofthehills I don't know how I didn't see this post until now, but thank you! I appreciate the encouragement! It's really hard to change a lifelong attitude, but you seem committed. That's half the battle, I think.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    momo_t90 wrote: »
    That's so amazing! Congrats on getting in shape and living a happier life!

I struggle with binge eating. I don't have anorexia. But it's like I go a couple of days of eating just under my calorie goal and making good choices, but then the sugar craving hits so hard I end up binge eating on sweets. I ate so much sweets all my life. I don't know why. Maybe it was taught because my mom and dad struggle with it too. I'm 25. I wish I could get in control of it.

I've tried over and over to stop eating sweets. It has never happened. Now I just eat them. I love them. And when I allow myself to eat them, I feel such a relief. No more feeling guilty. It's useless. I've lost a lot of weight eating what I want. I just know that if I eat the donut, I have to give up something else. Often, it's worth it. Sometimes it's not. But I just don't beat myself up anymore. If I begin to feel shame, I do something good for myself and stop obsessing. Then I move on.
  • Nausicca55
    Nausicca55 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story! That is what MFP is all about. Congratulations to you!
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Nice Job!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!