Fitbit help

Options
Ex: cal intake is 1,400 and fitbit says I burned 400 cals for this whole day saying I can eat 1,800 in total for the day.

My question is that its best to not eat those extra calories right?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The MFP calorie goal already has the deficit you need built into it - it assumes that you will log and eat back your exercise calories. Sometimes exercise calories are over-estimated though, so you can start eating back half and see how it goes.
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The MFP calorie goal already has the deficit you need built into it - it assumes that you will log and eat back your exercise calories. Sometimes exercise calories are over-estimated though, so you can start eating back half and see how it goes.

But if I don't really need it I don't need to though right? But say if I do eat 1800 cals I'll just maintain the weight for that day, right?
  • kimny72
    Options
    hokagenoob wrote: »

But if I don't really need it I don't need to though right? But say if I do eat 1800 cals I'll just maintain the weight for that day, right?

No, not if you gave MFP accurate data.

Exercise needs to be fueled, it uses calories. If you eat 1400 calories and you burn 400 calories with exercise, this means you are actually only netting 1,000 calories per day which is far too low. Your 1,400 calorie goal is what you want your net calories to be. Eaten calories - Exercise calories = Net calories. Unless you are very small and very sedentary, you should net at least 1,200 calories per day on average.
  • hokagenoob
    hokagenoob Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Exercise needs to be fueled, it uses calories. If you eat 1400 calories and you burn 400 calories with exercise, this means you are actually only netting 1,000 calories per day which is far too low. Your 1,400 calorie goal is what you want your net calories to be. Eaten calories - Exercise calories = Net calories. Unless you are very small and very sedentary, you should net at least 1,200 calories per day on average.

Then how about on my rest days? Do I still aim forn 1400 even if I'm not active that day or do I just bunk it down to 1200 just for that day?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The goal is adjusted by fitbit - you see " *You've earned 224 extra calories from exercise today" under your diary totals when your measured activity (from Fitbit) exceeds what you told MFP (sedentary ?).

So if you have set it up for a 500 calorie deficit (say) and then do a lot of walking you would have a deficit of 500 + 224 if you ignored the adjustment, or if you ate the 224 you would retain the original 500 deficit.

If you have a lot to lose you might choose to ignore the adjustment and bank it as extra weight loss, if you're closer to goal then probably you should eat all the adjusted calories.

The 1400 is the goal for standard days without additional logged or measured exercise.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Charge HR. Because I set myself as Sedentary on MFP, even though my calorie goal was 1200 when I was losing weight, the Fitbit adjustment gave me 500 to 900 calories to eat back on a regular basis because I'm active. I didn't always eat them all, but I ate most back when I felt hungry. I always lost weight while doing that. If you don't feel hungry, you don't have to eat them back, but if I were you I'd start by eating at least 100 back. Monitor your weight loss for a few weeks doing this and take an average. If you lose weight faster than your planned rate start eating more of your exercise calories back, as your weight loss should not exceed 2 pounds per week or approximately 1% of your bodyweight. If you lose at a rate less than planned, you may want to reconsider not eating them back, but try not to net lower than 1200 calories.
  • kimny72
    Options

Then how about on my rest days? Do I still aim forn 1400 even if I'm not active that day or do I just bunk it down to 1200 just for that day?

You eat 1400 on rest days. You eat more when you workout.