New to this.... And have questions!

Options
Hi I am Paula. Since I can remember I have been on different diets. Never happy with how I have looked.
After 7 mth of looking after my father who is dying I have put on 2 stone my eating habits were apaulling.
Two weeks ago I went on the Atkins diet started the gym lost a little then put on again! Utter waste of time and money and I just thought, all these diets work for a little but fail in the long run epically. Which has brung me here.
It's so obvious... count cals go to gym etc but Is it that simple??? Or is there a eating plan I have to follow on here I feel like coming from the Atkins and having a plan to having nothing has made me think is this gona work!! is it really that easy and simple?
Anyway just wanted to get these questions out there and say hi to all and wish every one well on what ever goal or journey there on

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. It's that simple. It's not always easy, but it's simple.

Your calories in need to be lower than your calories out.

You don't have to follow an eating plan but you can if you'd like more structure. Most any published diet ultimately works because it creates a calorie deficit. I've done best by eating my foods in smaller portions with some different choices within the foods I like.

From your post, it sounds like you don't stick with diets after the initial fast weight loss "honeymoon" phase is over and a more normal slow weight loss starts. In order to lose weight long term, you need to stick with a calorie deficit long term. Weight loss won't be fast and it won't be linear. Some weeks you don't lose or even gain a bit even if you do everything correctly. Don't give up when that happens. Look at your weight loss trend over months, not days or weeks. As long as you eat at a deficit, the weight will eventually come off.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your father :( Caring for someone is so, so much work and you are a wonderful person for having done that with your life.

It sounds simpler than it is, actually. But yes! Creating a daily/weekly calorie deficit is all you need to do.

What will take time is building new habits and relationships to food, and learning how to count calories properly. Feel free to ask questions, and friend me if you want :)

First, you will need to get a sense of what a portion is. I recommend that you get a food scale if you can. They're about 15 USD where I can get them, not sure what they are near you. Don't let yourself "eyeball" portions until you're quite experienced w/ portion control. Count EVERYTHING! Every nib of butter, every extra almond, etc. No extra bites here and there. It can add up so fast!

You'll learn over time what makes you feel 'full' and sated, so that weight-loss isn't a burden. This was a really important part of losing 125lbs, for me.

With exercise, remember that MFP approximations of calories burned are almost always over-estimated. Don't let yourself eat back 100% of the calories MFP says you burned...you'll be over your limit, IMO. I eat back 20%, personally, because it is what I am comfortable with.

Best of luck. You've got this!

• samps25780
    samps25780 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input it's much appreciated. @seska422 yes I Havnt stuck to most as to be honest they are unrealistic and if am honest was a quick fix. This seems more practical as your not deprived of anything.
    @Mapalicious yes your right portion size is essential and I have been weighing my food and things I have just started on here and still quite getting the hang on it.
    And yes it is hard caring for some one and working and being a single mum of four boys isn't easy. It's very easy to turn to food. But instead of that I have turned to gym instead
  • Beehappybaby
    Beehappybaby Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Caring for someone can leave us little time or energy to look after ourselves properly. So its not suprising your weight has crept up. Also lack of time, lack of decent sleep and stress can seriously affect what we eat and our metabolism!!! That said its amazing what you are doing for your dad. :) you just need to look after you. Ive tried all sorts of diets over the years! Meal replacements (shakes) not for me..as not something I could maintain over a long period of time. I enjoy real food and food is a huge part of my social scene. Weightwatchers; I found I became obsessed with food! And was all I ever thought about. You need to find what works for you. I love meats, fish, cheese (my downfall) and green veg! So I find low carb/paleo/atkins style works best for me. And I see the best results. Im not big into sweets and try not to eat much processed foods, so find it pretty easy.
  • Beehappybaby
    Beehappybaby Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Damm I waffle on! Anyway what you need to do is see what fits best for you! And take it from there. Good luck on your journey; and im sure you'll find loads of support and advice on here. !! :) x
  • 111bash111
    111bash111 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Best advise I can give you is: fitness is a lifestyle, not a 90 day program.

Work with that and all else will fall into place.

Whatever life throws at you are also known as hurdles which at times slow you down or can ruin your progress. But that's ok, keep at it, or get back into it when you're ready.

Good luck!
  • samps25780
    Options
    111bash111 wrote: »
    Best advise I can give you is: fitness is a lifestyle, not a 90 day program.

Work with that and all else will fall into place.

Whatever life throws at you are also known as hurdles which at times slow you down or can ruin your progress. But that's ok, keep at it, or get back into it when you're ready.

Good luck!

Yes that is what I mean a feel ready to change eating habits as there is no plan. Even tho I know what is to come with my dad I feel it's time to do something or go under and that isn't a option. And I feel selfishly positive for once... Thanks for your reply x
  • samps25780
    Options
    Damm I waffle on! Anyway what you need to do is see what fits best for you! And take it from there. Good luck on your journey; and im sure you'll find loads of support and advice on here. !! :) x

Erm have you seen my post.... *kitten* man now that is waffling haha.. Your Defo not waffling. Yes your right I have done the shake thing and did good but you can't do that forever.

I am a massive foodie with four boys to food I find my self chained to the cooker that's after I unlock myself from my desk.... Anyway Thankyou for your reply totes appreiate it xx
  • 111bash111
    111bash111 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think you have reached the right mindset to make changes and or lifestyle adjustments.

Just be real with yourself and what you plan to achieve. Not disregarding your personal life (rather I don't want to focus on it) as it will proceed therefore so should you.

None of what's in front of you is a worthwhile excuse, things may be difficult but your life is your own solely so work to achieve what you intend to do and be happy with the results even if you fail or stumble in the process.

Good luck and stay fit!!
  • samps25780
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thankyou :)
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No "diet" required, don't even have to bust your butt at the gym or home, however, you do have to be honest with yourself and track your food accurately (use a kitchen scale is my biggest recommendation) and remain consistent over time. Of course, exercise will make you healthy along the way but you don't need it to drop fat. Also, carbs, if they are a problem for you (not just cakes and ice cream, but bread and pasta and etc) are easy to over consume and therefore get too many calories, therefore it would be better to drop as much carbs as you can for little while to simply help with over eating. Be patient it takes time, you didn't get like you are over night and you won't fix it over night
  • samps25780
    Options
    Thanks very much for your input. Today well the last half hour I have totally fell off the horse sort of speak.
    I am so disheartened, 3 weeks ago I comfort ate and I mean I ate and ate and ate rubbish, take ways , snacked all day to the point where I thought I would never change... Then I decided I wasn't gona go down! So I start the gym cut out the crap the carbs everything! I am at gym almost every day and do at least 4 spinning classes a week. Yet I weighed myself yesterday and put on 6lb. Now surely even a pound would have done!

Today I have been and done spin and swim then ate a dinner and I feel full uncomfortable then decided to have a half a pack of Biscuits and I feel like utter *kitten*!!!!
    My old scales weren't working apparently so I have just bought new and just feel like crap at the min basically!! I am still under my cals for today but just feel like giving up! #gutted!