Hitting a plateau..

Options
I'm at a point in my weight loss that I'm struggling to lose the next 10-15 pounds. I am staying within my calorie range and exercising 4-5 times a week. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF one has been very consistent in their routine. Any break in that routine wouldn't make it a plateau. If you've STALLED, then likely you're in homeostasis. First thing I always do with clients is just increase their intensity of exercise a bit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mbaroncelli
    mbaroncelli Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you think 1200 is too little calories or just right? That's what myfitnesspal says I should be consuming.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Did you set your goal to 2 pounds per week? 1200 is the minimum MFP will give you, which likely means your goal is too aggressive.

What are your stats? How long has it been since you lost? How are you measuring your calorie intake?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Do you think 1200 is too little calories or just right? That's what myfitnesspal says I should be consuming.
    What are your stats?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mbaroncelli
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Did you set your goal to 2 pounds per week? 1200 is the minimum MFP will give you, which likely means your goal is too aggressive.

What are your stats? How long has it been since you lost? How are you measuring your calorie intake?

Yes I believe it is at 2 pounds a week. Over the past 3 years I've lost a total of about 30 pounds. These past few months I have been struggling to get below that though.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile photo perhaps you do not have another 10-15 lbs to lose. Have you checked your goal with a doctor ? I suspect you are within a healthy BMI right now.
  • mbaroncelli
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    Looking at your profile photo perhaps you do not have another 10-15 lbs to lose. Have you checked your goal with a doctor ? I suspect you are within a healthy BMI right now.

No my BMI is considered overweight right now. I am very short, and most of my weight is in my belly. I am very happy with where I am at, but I would like to lose more belly fat.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Look into strength training. You can't spot reduce fat. Also, at what rate are you losing weight right now? 500g a week? 1kg? What are your stats?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data. Specify Height, weight, % Bodyfat, and reduce goal to 1 lb/week.
  • herrerajr693
    herrerajr693 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »

No my BMI is considered overweight right now. I am very short, and most of my weight is in my belly. I am very happy with where I am at, but I would like to lose more belly fat.

BMI is unreliable as it doesn't account for body composition.
    Have you had your body fat percentage measured? If not you can get some calipers on amazon they're fairly accurate and only like $10. It'll be a better determining factor for body composition and then you can decide on either losing more weight or maybe building some lean weight. I'd say talk to a doctor who can better assess you especially if you're only eating 1200 calories a day and exercising that much.
  • kay_norton
    kay_norton Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi!

So anytime you have a weight loss plan, especially for fat loss, you're going to want to implement strength training. Strength training will help you burn more calories, result in that tight firm appearance that you want, and ensure the loss of fat only.
    As for your plateau, having a cheat day will help you get back on track. Sometimes what happens is our bodies get too used to eating a certain way, and it has adapted to your current diet.
    I would suggest having a full cheat day, maybe on a weekend (make it worth it), and then the next day get yourself back on track. When you do, make sure you're:
    1.) Eating no more than 30% of your total calories from fat.
    2.) Strength training at least every other day if you can (if you need help/have any questions/aren't familiar with what to work, or if you have a target area that you want to tone, message me).
    3.) Also by including a small pre-workout snack, in the form of carbs, and a small post-workout snack, with carbs and protein, as a couple of your "small frequent meals during the day," your metabolism should increase in speed.

Also, what is your weight, if you don't mind me asking? How old are you? And how would you classify your daily non-exercise activity (inactive, moderately active, or very active)?
    I'm interested to see if you are eating the proper amount of calories and exercising at the rate you need to be to lose the weight!

Message me.

Cheers,
    Kay :)