Heart Palpitations? Is this normal?

Options
Mpalamar
Mpalamar Posts: 33 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been eating clean for just over 2 months now. No 'cheating' at all. The last 3 days I have eaten some chips, and each time I eat them I end up with heart palpitations afterwards for a few hours. It's like my body is rejecting the junk food. Anyone else experience this? I read that high carb and high sugar foods can do this, but I've never experienced this before. I think I'll stick to my fruits and nuts for my 'junk food' .... these palpitations really suck.

Replies

• stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor and make them take you seriously. Cardiac problems in women are underdiagnosed and undertreated. Go get checked out and stop eating the brand of chips causing it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. I get heart palpitations from eating grains and dairy (which I don't digest well anyway) as well as low blood pressure. BUT, I have a condition called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). I have low blood volume which contributes to low blood pressure and my autonomic nervous system doesn't work properly all the time. In terms of eating grains and its relationship on my tachycardia (heart palpitations), my cardiologist has explained that this happens to me because grains and dairy are harder for my body to digest, so as my stomach is digesting, more blood rushes to that area. This makes my heart work harder (the heart palpitations) and my blood pressure drop.

I am NOT saying that you have this at all - to be clear, it is rare. BUT I am saying that if this continues, you really should see your doctor. Your heart is not something to play around with and no one on here can diagnose you.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. I doubt it's the "junk food" but your symptoms could be anything from an anxiety disorder to electrolyte imbalance to a serious heart condition. If there is any doubt, get a checkup.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    To your body all food is just energy. It does not differentiate. Please discuss this with a physician and not random peeps on the internet. Your heart is too important to screw around with.
  • Mpalamar
    Mpalamar Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't feel it's necessary to go to the doctors. Heart palpitations are very common and rarely a cause for concern. I know exactly what's causing them (the chips) - so I know if I stop eating them (which I obviously will) then I won't have them anymore. I just found it strange. My body has never reacted to a food like this before. It's more interesting than it is scary.

PS. Not looking for a diagnosis either, lol...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You should get a check up with your doctor. Why mess with this
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Chips don't cause palpable but lots of medical issues can and yes palpitations can be dangerous
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Mpalamar wrote: »
    I don't feel it's necessary to go to the doctors. Heart palpitations are very common and rarely a cause for concern. I know exactly what's causing them (the chips) - so I know if I stop eating them (which I obviously will) then I won't have them anymore. I just found it strange. My body has never reacted to a food like this before. It's more interesting than it is scary.

Oh dear.
  • lynn1982
    Options

Heart palpitations can absolutely be a cause for concern and you'll never know what is actually causing them unless you see your doctor. I hope for your sake that it isn't anything serious. But that's really your problem if you are unwilling to have this checked out. If you want to play around with your life, then good luck to you. Heart conditions are no laughing matter, despite your use of "lol." I can't fathom why you would waste your own time posting this question in that case.
  • lynn1982
    Options

Oh dear.

Exactly.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am curious why you think the chips make you have heart palpitations? I don't see the logic behind that.

Palpitations can occur for a variety of reasons unrelated to heart disease. These include:

Overexertion
    Stress
    Caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, or diet pills
    Overactive thyroid
    Hormone changes associated with menstruation, pregnancy, or menopause
    Low blood pressure
    Heart disease or abnormal heart valves
    The body’s response to medications such as thyroid pills, cold medicines, and asthma drugs

I had heart palpitations and went right to my DR. I have extremely low potassium levels. Not only was it causing the heart palpitations (my Dr. said I was lucky I did not wind up in the ER with a serious heart problem) but the low potassium levels sent my urine PH out of whack and helped from a 22mm kidney stone that lodged in my ureter.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I am curious why you think the chips make you have heart palpitations? I don't see the logic behind that.

Palpitations can occur for a variety of reasons unrelated to heart disease. These include:

Overexertion
    Stress
    Overactive thyroid
    Low blood pressure
    The body’s response to medications such as thyroid pills, cold medicines, and asthma drugs

I had heart palpitations and went right to my DR. I have extremely low potassium levels. Not only was it causing the heart palpitations (my Dr. said I was lucky I did not wind up in the ER with a serious heart problem) but the low potassium levels sent my urine PH out of whack and helped from a 22mm kidney stone that lodged in my ureter.

Also low iron can cause tachycardia (fast heart rate). Lots of things can.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    One common dietary cause of heart palpitations is caffeine. Caffeine is a common ingredient in supplements that claim to boost metabolism, increase energy, or increase metabolism. If you've started drinking energy drinks, diet soda, or protein bars that claim to boost your energy or metabolism, check those for their caffeine content as well.
    Caffeine can also worsen anxiety, which can cause heart palpitations.

Some medications can also cause heart palpitations - have you been sick recently?

Definitely see your doctor to have your palpitations evaluated. Expect an EKG, 24 hour Holter monitor, and an echocardiogram. In my case, the Holter monitor revealed premature atrial contractions, which are common and benign. It makes me more sensitive to caffeine, which I thought I had eliminated from my diet because of my insomnia issues, but it turns out that those Coke Zeros that I used to enjoy actually have caffeine (I had stupidly assumed the Zero meant 0 caffeine as well as 0 calories, just like with Sprite Zero). :'(
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'll just add on to the "this is not normal and not something you want to mess with" pile.

But since you're ok with it not being normal and are willing to take a chance with your heart ....good luck with that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you already know whats wrong then why even post this thread???

what is your medical background that you know how to diagnosis the cause of your heart palpitations…?

FYI = eating some candy and chips does not cause heart problems...
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Then why ask?
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Ok cool, don't go to the doctors, what do we know??? Just to point out though that the title of this post ended with the question 'Is this normal?'. I think that all of the above people have very kindly answered your question and I tend to agree with them. What happens if it continues when you stop eating the chips?
    I think it would be wise to visit your doctor anyway, it can't hurt and if you are one of the unlucky 'cause for concerners' it will be picked up earlier rather than later.

Good luck!

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »

Overexertion
    Stress
    Overactive thyroid
    Low blood pressure

This is very helpful. If the OP had stated that she had given up coffee and was experiencing palpitations after drinking it again, I would think that the coffee (or, rather, the caffeine in the coffee) was the culprit. But potato chips? I'm skepitcal. :smirk:

PS--I experience mild palpitations too, just before my period. I found out this was normal by asking my doctor about it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not normal. Go to the doctor.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Chips won't cause heart palpitations. But what my cardiologist has said they are very common in young women. You can get them more when your anemic, hormone changes from your period, dehydrated. I currently get them, because I have other cardiac issues. But if they are persistant, last long, you get short of breath dizzy etc call your doctor.