what is going on??

Options
Hi,

I dont know what to do anymore. When I first joined this site I lost quite regularly 5 lbs in total.
I came back after xmas to get back on track and have since put on 4.5lbs! I have not been over 166lbs for ages and when I checked the scale this morning it said 170 lbs!!!!!!!!
WHAT IS GOING ON!
after xmas I came back really motivated. The last two weeks I have been to the gym every 2nd day and have made sure I ate some of my exercise calories back and never ate below 1,300 cals.
Why have I put on all this weight even though i worked so hard the last few days? right after xmas I was 165lbs and was relieved i didnt put on more. Now I am 170lbs... HOW?!?!?
I could cry right now, I dont know why this is happening :sad:

Replies

• Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options
    Hi,

I dont know what to do anymore. When I first joined this site I lost quite regularly 5 lbs in total.
    I came back after xmas to get back on track and have since put on 4.5lbs! I have not been over 166lbs for ages and when I checked the scale this morning it said 170 lbs!!!!!!!!
    WHAT IS GOING ON!
    after xmas I came back really motivated. The last two weeks I have been to the gym every 2nd day and have made sure I ate some of my exercise calories back and never ate below 1,300 cals.
    Why have I put on all this weight even though i worked so hard the last few days? right after xmas I was 165lbs and was relieved i didnt put on more. Now I am 170lbs... HOW?!?!?
    I could cry right now, I dont know why this is happening :sad:
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi hanna1983 know exactly how you feel, for the first 6 weeks I lost consistantly right up to 10lbs :drinker: but for the last 6 weeks I have not lost any weight instead I have picked up 2 lbs :noway: :grumble:. I have not done anything differently and in fact have worked harder :explode: and cannot find a sloution to my weight gain and not loss?:cry: Perhaps someone in the KNOW can help us PLEASE...............................................................................................................................:tongue:

Life may not be the party we hoped for :grumble :explode: but while we are here we might as well dance! :drinker: :blushing:"
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Hi Liz,

its comforting that I am not the only one with this problem. I would really like for someone to explain to me what happened. That said, I dont want to hear that I gained muscle weight through exercising regularly. I have done it before during a diet and exercised even more than I exercise now and lost constantly. So gained muscle is not the answer. But then what is? :angry:

Can someone help us please?
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Any chance you are putting on muscle as you lose fat? Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are working out, you might actually gain for a bit, before you start losing again. Just a thought.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Any chance you are putting on muscle as you lose fat? Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you are working out, you might actually gain for a bit, before you start losing again. Just a thought.

I'd put it differently: muscle retains watter after exercise, so it might be water weight, not "real" weight.

Keep trying, don't give up, the pounds will go away, as long as you stick with it! Btw, does it happen to be TOM for you? This would explain it.

I'll try find some links you should read...
  • dewpearl
    Options
    Try browse through this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Hope you'll find something that you need and which would comfort you and encourage you to keep eating healthy and exercising. You can do it! :flowerforyou:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Landon66
    Landon66 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    INCHES...measure yourself. I have come to a grinding halt on the scales, but I was pleasantly surprised when I measured last time. Lost at least 1/2 in everywhere, 1 in the waist and 1 1/2 in the chest! I'm starting to notice that my weight lifted is more, and my runs are longer.
    I was starting to think it was time to up the workouts, but as that showed, I am making progress and I'm going to stick to my workout plan. You may not weigh any different, or maybe even a little more, but if you are building muscle, you will notice your body taking a different shape...a good one.
    My shape is still more round than I would like, but I am getting smaller and hopefully the scales will start moving in the right direction again. (For all of us!!)
    Landon
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your responses.

But I dont believe that it is muscle :frown:
    I started exercising more yes, but we are talking 20-30 mins on the treadmill at 4mph 3 times a week.
    Thats not alot. I also use some of the weight machines, but only for toning, I dont use alot of weight, only between 10 and 15 kgs.

It is also not TOM for me.

This is very demotivating :frown:

I do want to stick with it, but everyone needs to see success to keep going, I am no different.

Why did it all go so well before xmas and now after xmas it is not working anymore? I dont do anything differently :ohwell:
  • dewpearl
    Options
    Let's make a deal. You keep doing what you've been doing for another week and then come and tell me what the scale says. I'm pretty sure it's water weight :flowerforyou: .

Unless you are on some medication... I'm not good with that, haven't read much on it.
  • finzup
    finzup Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? If not enough your body could go into "starvation" mode and you won't lose -- ?
    Or is it your time of the month perhaps and you're retaining?
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Hi Finzup,

I am eating the by MFP recommended 1360 calories per day.
    I never go over that number and i never go under 1250 calories per day. :ohwell:

It is not my TOM either...

I dont know what it is. I guess I will carry on and see what happens. but as I said bfore, this is nt very motivating that the scale has gone into the opposite direction! :grumble:

Dewpearl - we have a deal. :flowerforyou:

H