At what point would you see the doctor about a Plateau in weight loss?

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, I would not eat back the exercise calories, which you are mostly not doing, so you are right there. Unfortunately things like "very brisk pace" are very subjective, so I would suspect for most people, they are nowhere close to accurate.
    Second, I have averaged your 5 last days, and it is about 1750 calories, so you are doing fine. Give yourself a couple of weeks, and reevaluate how things are going, it is too soon.
  • caednkat
    caednkat Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    First, I would not eat back the exercise calories, which you are mostly not doing, so you are right there. Unfortunately things like "very brisk pace" are very subjective, so I would suspect for most people, they are nowhere close to accurate.
    Second, I have averaged your 5 last days, and it is about 1750 calories, so you are doing fine. Give yourself a couple of weeks, and reevaluate how things are going, it is too soon.

Thanks, "Very brisk pace" is what my heart rate monitor lists my exercise as. I walk 3.6mph on the treadmill right now. Slowly building speed up there. But, because I have a short stride my steps generally put my mileage count up by 1/2 a mile based on my pedometer. Anyway,my heart rate monitor uploads my calorie burn based off heart rate. So if exercise is added on here it's because it does it automatically. I'm too lazy to try and figure those numbers out on my own. ;)
    Plus since I don't try to eat those calories back I don't fret over it too much. This was a odd week with the extra treats though.

Thanks for your input! I'm trying so hard to not fret over that darn scale. After over 2 months of no loss it's hard to do though. This week was pretty typical food wise of how I've been eating over those 2 months. Less eating out normally. But... I'll keep on keeping on.
  • ygirl911
    ygirl911 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would recommend keeping track of carb intake. Look for hidden carbs in your foods and if you are using artificial sweeteners get rid of them...they cause insulin release which then causes you to store energy in fat cells. The other thing that is beneficial for women is some basic weight lifting. Try a trainer for a session to find out how to lift properly because once you know the technique you can lift at home without additional supplies. Getting those leg muscles working for you along with back and chest muscles will assist you in burning more efficiently.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    ygirl911 wrote: »
    I would recommend keeping track of carb intake. Look for hidden carbs in your foods and if you are using artificial sweeteners get rid of them...they cause insulin release which then causes you to store energy in fat cells. The other thing that is beneficial for women is some basic weight lifting. Try a trainer for a session to find out how to lift properly because once you know the technique you can lift at home without additional supplies. Getting those leg muscles working for you along with back and chest muscles will assist you in burning more efficiently.

No.

Lifting weights, yes. But the rest, no.

OP, Patience is your best friend. For the first month that I started doing this, it was a roller coaster ride with the scale going up and down, learning how to accuratly weigh and log my food, not seeing "fast enough" results, and I quickly just learned to be patient. I understand you've lost a lot already, so you know what to do. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    About hair loss. I started to take a multivitamin and my hair is now fuller. I was on such low calorie diet, that I guess I was missing some nutrients.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you have a hard time logging accurately, maybe try lowering your calorie goal. It sounds like right now you think you're eating 1700ish, but in reality, it's more. Maybe if you start logging around 1400, you'll end up at 1700 with your inaccurate logging.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    There's still too much inconsistency and random events.
    Find some patience, log meticulously for 6 weeks, weigh yourself every day and average every 7, then plot it out on a piece of paper.
    You're not being disciplined enough that's all.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ygirl911 wrote: »

Sorry, but many of us eat lots and lots of carbs, and artificial sweeteners (I keep that to minimum as I believe they interfere with gut flora) and we are the leanest and fittest people here.
    I was 30%+ body fat after years of low carb attempts. Now I'm sub 20%, and was 15% last year, all the while munching every kind of carb including alcohol.
    Insulin release is very important after weight training to transport amino acid into the muscle cells.
    No need to worry about it if you're non diabetic unless you're carbs are driving you over your calorie limit.
    Muscle unfortunately doesn't burn that much more than other tissue. But it makes you look good.

It always comes down to calorie control, unfortunately for us foodies.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    caednkat wrote: »
    Okay, y'all.
    One week into logging more carefully. Not perfectly yet because of Valentine's Day we ate out twice and my husband brought home doughnuts. I didn't have any clue how to log those so I went with the numbers closest to the website's numbers. However I know those are probably off. Also, last Friday is empty because I had a stomach bug and didn't eat any food that day at all. I only had water and chicken broth and I just didn't bother weighing the broth to log it.
    It was a lot of work at first but for the meals where I eat the same things it's easier now. I just change the amount of grams for what I ate that day (who knew store bought eggs could vary so much). Plus it's really fun to find out exactly how many calories are in the meals I prepare for my family.

I'd love to say that logging carefully has changed things and the scale is being friendly. It's not. I'm up .5 a lb from last week. I have an appointment with my doctor next week to have my yearly blood work done and I'll bring up the issues pointed out in this thread then too.

I was under my calorie goal every single day this week. I didn't put anything in my mouth that isn't listed in my logs. Not all of my exercise is shown though. I don't bother wearing the heart rate monitor for yoga most days and I never remember to manually put in exercise.

So before I get too used to logging food this way I'm asking y'all to look over my logs and see if you notice something I'm doing wrong.
    I'm not on the verge of giving up or anything like that. I'm happy with the way I eat now. I crave the exercise I do and I feel so much better overall. It would just be nice if the weight would start coming off again.

Thanks again to those of you who have been so kind as to reply to me. I'm off to Pilates class. A one on one session on a machine. I'm a bit terrified. lol

On Wednesday 17 Feb you had "1 slice" of white bread. There's a risky guess.

Same day you had 100 grams of Brown Rice. Just wondering if that was a guess.

High calorie foods like these are the most important things to weigh accurately. If the food entry you've been using doesn't let you log in grams, find or create an entry that does.

Kind regards, and keep trying! This week's loss could also be masked by Time of Month water retention, as is mine.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Give it more time than a week. a .5lb gain is nothing. I gain more than that in a day simply due to eating and drinking. Keep weighing your foods and logging strictly, and come back in one month. No need to cut out carbs as someone suggested up thread. Silly. All I'm saying is, don't give up, and give it more time.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! It's hard waiting to see results, but they will come if you're patient and consistent. May I ask, what are you drinking all day long? I notice you mention coffee and creamer first thing, but that's the last beverage I see...are you drinking any juices, yummy beverages, hot chocolates or chocolate milk....I ask because my one French Vanilla from Tim Hortons today was 430 calories....That's a HUGE number if I weren't to log it. And If one weren't to log something like that every single day, that little liquid cup of heaven would add up fast!
  • caednkat
    Options
    I feel for you! It's hard waiting to see results, but they will come if you're patient and consistent. May I ask, what are you drinking all day long? I notice you mention coffee and creamer first thing, but that's the last beverage I see...are you drinking any juices, yummy beverages, hot chocolates or chocolate milk....I ask because my one French Vanilla from Tim Hortons today was 430 calories....That's a HUGE number if I weren't to log it. And If one weren't to log something like that every single day, that little liquid cup of heaven would add up fast!

Just now checking this thread and seeing the last few replies. @JustMissTracy Other then coffee I was only drinking water otherwise. I've added in tea a couple of times a day now and that shows in my recent logs. I do add honey to that but measure it with the teaspoon I keep in my jar of local honey.
    Drinking my calories is a large part of what got me to my highest weight. So I pretty much only drink water now. lol

• caednkat
    Options

On Wednesday 17 Feb you had "1 slice" of white bread. There's a risky guess.

Same day you had 100 grams of Brown Rice. Just wondering if that was a guess.

High calorie foods like these are the most important things to weigh accurately. If the food entry you've been using doesn't let you log in grams, find or create an entry that does.

Kind regards, and keep trying! This week's loss could also be masked by Time of Month water retention, as is mine.[/quote]

@Orphia
    Sorry I'm just seeing this. The Rice I weigh out. I pre-make my lunches on Sundays and keep the rice and meat stored in the freezer so I can just grab it and heat it up.
    The slice of toast in the morning is the only thing I don't weigh these days. Since it's just a slice from a pre-sliced loaf of bread I found each slice only varies by a gram when I tried weighing them each morning so I figured just logging one slice of that brand was close enough.
    Since I monitor my blood sugar I can't really go over on carbs and not notice it when i test my 1 hour number after eating.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your entries are still inaccurate.

'pork loin'... what does that even mean? Is it cooked, is it raw, did you trim the fat?
    Butter... you use a lot of butter. 8g of butter is not 34 calories but closer to 60.
    And your rice - weigh it raw. Those 'cooked rice' entries on MFP underestimate calories by a lot (close to 30% last time I checked).
    For the honey, I would weigh it, personally.
    And yeah there are days that were not logged. I know I could easily undo at least a few days of deficit by going overboard and not logging one day.

So yeah, I think it's mostly an issue with your logging (and I also highly doubt that you're burning as many calories as you think from exercise).

But it still wouldn't hurt to get yourself checked out if you still haven't lost weight since you started this thread.
  • caednkat
    Options
    Thought I'd update this thread since you all were so helpful to me. :)

Saw my doctor for my yearly physical yesterday. Took in with me my ridiculous notebook of of calories eaten, calories burned, blood sugar measurements of fasting and each meal and daily weight. Yes, I write it all in one notebook in hopes I can find trends or something.
    Anyway, she's referring me to a endocrinologist and I should be getting a call Monday morning to set that appointment up.
    My Iron level is still very low and all my other symptoms are the same. She said it's obvious that something is going on.

I've lost tiny bits the last two weeks and am back at the lower end of where my weight has hung out since the first of December. But I can't seem to fall below that number.

I'm frustrated with the scale but otherwise I feel pretty good about my health. I have weighed and measured on the 2nd of every month. December, January, February, and March. All 4 months my weight was 272 point something. However, between December and March I've lost 3 inches from my waist and hips, 4 from my chest and various other amounts between 1-2 inches on my thighs and arms. So all my hard work is showing just not on the scale.

I'll update again after I see the endocrinologist.
    Note... I didn't log a single thing yesterday because my doctor told me to take a break from it all. She thinks I'm obsessing a bit too much. ;) Exercise was logged because my heart rate monitor does that on it's own. Food yesterday was pretty much the same as normal for a Friday for me though. Since my blood sugar was normal all day I'm guessing my calories were the within range but truly since I didn't log I don't know that for sure.

Otherwise my logging is pretty much spot on. The "slice of bread" I explained above. For that I just went with the entry I could find closest to the information on the bread bag. I've found all slices of bread of this brand weigh within a gram of each other and most are normally the same weight. I suppose since I eat it daily I should find a better entry for it though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    caednkat wrote: »
    Thought I'd update this thread since you all were so helpful to me. :)

Saw my doctor for my yearly physical yesterday. Took in with me my ridiculous notebook of of calories eaten, calories burned, blood sugar measurements of fasting and each meal and daily weight. Yes, I write it all in one notebook in hopes I can find trends or something.
    Anyway, she's referring me to a endocrinologist and I should be getting a call Monday morning to set that appointment up.
    My Iron level is still very low and all my other symptoms are the same. She said it's obvious that something is going on.

I've lost tiny bits the last two weeks and am back at the lower end of where my weight has hung out since the first of December. But I can't seem to fall below that number.

I'm frustrated with the scale but otherwise I feel pretty good about my health. I have weighed and measured on the 2nd of every month. December, January, February, and March. All 4 months my weight was 272 point something. However, between December and March I've lost 3 inches from my waist and hips, 4 from my chest and various other amounts between 1-2 inches on my thighs and arms. So all my hard work is showing just not on the scale.

I'll update again after I see the endocrinologist.
    Note... I didn't log a single thing yesterday because my doctor told me to take a break from it all. She thinks I'm obsessing a bit too much. ;) Exercise was logged because my heart rate monitor does that on it's own. Food yesterday was pretty much the same as normal for a Friday for me though. Since my blood sugar was normal all day I'm guessing my calories were the within range but truly since I didn't log I don't know that for sure.

Otherwise my logging is pretty much spot on. The "slice of bread" I explained above. For that I just went with the entry I could find closest to the information on the bread bag. I've found all slices of bread of this brand weigh within a gram of each other and most are normally the same weight. I suppose since I eat it daily I should find a better entry for it though.

Ok read my post above about your logging. Your issue isn't the logging, it's the entries that you use.

Otherwise, good luck, I hope you get some answers!
  • caednkat
    Options
    @Francl27
    Thanks. Off to find a better butter entry. lol The pork loin I just went with what was closest to the info on the pack of raw meat. I just baked it without anything added other then salt. So I didn't add any calories to it.
    I don't expect it to be exact really. I figure that I'm off by 100-200 calories each day just because of the entries and not having to time to double check info.
    At my size (5'6" and 272 lbs) I should still be loosing weight even if I increased what is eaten by 200 calories.

It's about to drive me crazy. Hubby is threatening to take away all the scales. It drives him nuts that I weigh everything before eating it.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the butter thing. I'm surprised that slipped past me. :)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    After tightening up your logging you may wish to look at your exercise. You are 80-odd pounds lighter. Therefore when you walk the same distance as before you are burning less calories. So gradually increase your distance, increase your speed and increase your incline. But not all at once. One of these each day ie Mon-speed, Wed. incline and Friday distance. Add in some new activities. Take the kids out biking or for a hike or go fly kitses. Take everyone swimming or kick a soccer ball around.
  • nicholem8710
    nicholem8710 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this has been said in this thread already, but I noticed you mentioned the time it takes to log super accurately being a bit of a crunch in your situation. If you have a smartphone and can get the MFP app for it, I find that scanning the barcodes on the foods I eat makes logging lots faster and a little easier to find the correct entries. You still have to double check the nutrition info between package and app, of course, but it might save you a little time and help you get on track with finding the most accurate available entries for your foods. :) Good luck figuring out exactly what's going on!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The hair loss, the absence of weight loss and fatigue issues all suggest that you may need a few weeks of eating at a higher level (and a better variety). You've been dieting well, lost a lot and breaks are needed to allow the body to reestablish hormonal balance.

You may indeed be the rare case of under eating sand not losing weight due to bloating.
    Look to your macro goals - make sure you get enough protein and fat.

And yes, see your doctor, other conditions could be responsible for these issues.