Best Ultra Marathon Trail Gear

Options
Running my first PNW ultra marathon trail run in July! It'll be hot & sunny conditions.

I just bought a gps watch with maps. And here is my supplies list:

Head lamp w/ extra batteries
Blister care & med kit w/ pain reliever
Life straw water filtration system
Energy bars/gels
Powdered electrolytes
Sunscreen
Wet wipes
Vaseline
GPS watch
Phone
Sunglasses
Bandana
Emergency whistle
Extra socks
Rain jacket/wind breaker
Water proof hydration pack

Now I'm looking at hydration systems, packs, shoes, energy bars/gels etc. I want to know what are your favs & why? Or if there's anything else you think I should add to my supply list!?

Replies

• ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    9g6sqcb6w3rs.png
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think your list is good. I used to use a camel back but find it hard to open and refill after hours of running. I now have a Nathan vapor shadow and love it. It is compact but has plenty of pockets. The bladder opens and closes very easily. For fuel I use fruit pouches (aka baby food), Justin's nut butter packs, and dates. I will mix these up with a few honey stinger gels for variety. I run in five fingers. I always bring a lot of stuff with me but rarely need anything other than fuel. But it's nice to have just in case. Good luck!
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    rachel5576 wrote: »
    I think your list is good. I used to use a camel back but find it hard to open and refill after hours of running. I now have a Nathan vapor shadow and love it. It is compact but has plenty of pockets. The bladder opens and closes very easily. For fuel I use fruit pouches (aka baby food), Justin's nut butter packs, and dates. I will mix these up with a few honey stinger gels for variety. I run in five fingers. I always bring a lot of stuff with me but rarely need anything other than fuel. But it's nice to have just in case. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips Rachel! I like your fuel choices! I'd much rather eat pure and clean instead of the artificial stuff