Fitbit users: Convince me...

Options
Do I need a fitbit? Tell me all about it. Tell me how it helps you. Or maybe how it doesn't help you?

I am curious how many calories I burn while I work, on my feet, sometimes for 10 hours a day. I have a Galaxy Note 5 and the S Health app tracks my steps but I don't know how accurate it is.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Do you need it? No.
    For me it helps me stay active. I don't carry my phone everywhere I go so I can't rely on the step count from it. It motivates me to move more and adjusts my calories on MFP based on how active or inactive I am.

I find that my fitbit is pretty accurate with my calorie burn. The models without HR underestimate my calorie burn by about 200 calories per day on average. I'm currently using the Blaze, but I've used Surge (band broke at around the 1 yr mark), Flex, and Zip.

That said some people find that Fitbit overestimates calories burned. It is a very individual thing.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It motivates me to move more. That's all. And now my husband has one so I'm always competing with him to get more steps in. Also I love seeing my heart rate and sleeping trends, etc.
  • Rtmccall
    Rtmccall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Fitbit Blaze and have been using it for about a week now. Syncs nicely with MFP. Underestimates calories and HR when doing strength training compared to my Garmin HR monitor and chest strap but otherwise pretty accurate for cardio, walking, running, etc.
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Would yall say the fitbit is more accurate than my phone?
  • DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Fitbit has been extremely motivating for me. I like to see if I'm outwalking my friends and family (particularly my newly-retired runner dad).

Walking is my only form of exercise and I've found that the calorie burn it gives me is extremely accurate. The fitbit dashboard will add up my deficit for the week and it's always really close to my actual weight loss. In fact it's spot-on more often than not. It's taken a lot of the guesswork out of creating a deficit for me. But I know it's accuracy varies from person to person (and it definitely doesn't work as well for other forms of exercise).
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit accelerometer and software would be a bit better tuned to the fitness tracking functions than a general purpose smartphone. You can research Fitbit or any of the other trackers on their sites to better understand what they do. If that functionality fits with what you do, it can be a useful tool.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and I have the SHealth app. The step tracking on SHealth sucks. It's way off the mark; it usually overestimates. My Charge HR has played an integral part in my fitness goals. I've been using it since the beginning of July. I went from 139 pounds down to 109. I don't need it, but I wouldn't do without it when given the choice.
  • steelridgekennel
    steelridgekennel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I enjoy mine. I like competing with my friends and seeing my sleep information. I do tend to move more with it on than with it off because I am more AWARE that I am not moving. I have the flex and want to upgrade later.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I bought one and used it for exactly 6 weeks and then quit because I mostly do weight lifting, and it doesn't track that. I got it because at the time I thought it would motivate me to move more but it didn't because I move enough - I just don't do cardio that can be tracked. So I gave mine away to someone who actually uses it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit HR & watch my calorie burn all through the day. I also appreciate getting a report on my sleep quality. My only caveat: I did have to shave 2 inches off my actual height to get the best fit for maintenance calories. But that was a small consideration. I love love love it.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I bought one and used it for exactly 6 weeks and then quit because I mostly do weight lifting, and it doesn't track that. I got it because at the time I thought it would motivate me to move more but it didn't because I move enough - I just don't do cardio that can be tracked. So I gave mine away to someone who actually uses it.

Also when you manually add weight training in exercise the numbers are outrageous. As far as lifting weights goes it's crap.

To OP: As a college student with a fear of elevators and bus crashes, it's nice to see how much I walk everyday. I got mine in February. I have lost all my fat years ago and did it with a piece of paper and a pencil. You don't need it to lose weight.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have upgraded to the Charge HR and what a difference! The heart rate monitor is spot on and very much needed for accurate calorie burns in my opinion. It's great to sync with MFP. I also find the weekly report from Fitbit very valuable for weight loss. Very motivating and fun.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just say no to Fitbit.

Go Garmin!

:allinfun:
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is not the end all be all to losing weight, but I am in love with it. For me, I am a goal-oriented person who loves numbers and data to back it up, and Fitbit provides that. Plus I am also social and competitive, so I get to do challenges with my Fitbit friends on who can get the most steps.

It motivates me to move...I have a step goal and come hell or walking around a hotel room for 20 minutes, I will get to that step goal. I fully recommend it!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It does motivate me to move... and it lets me tell people, "I told you I sleep like crap!" :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have had a fit bit for 3 years. It is the single best motivator I have to move more.
    I also have 2 apps on my iPhone. They all come in right around the same step count at the end of the day, within a few hundred steps, so I think it is pretty accurate.
    Bottom line, for someone who was totally sedentary (winded going up the stairs) 4 years ago, to the person I am today who gets over 20,000 steps, every single day, I'd say it is more than well worth the money for me. In fact, the new Blaze is on my list for my birthday. I currently have a Charge HR. I have also had a One, and a Force.
  • charmedbrat
    charmedbrat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just started using fit bit flex that i won in the dannons lite and fit challenge... being a polar ft4 user i use both now... love how my flex counts my steps n my sleeping pattern but polar ft4 heart rate monitor is awesome n the calorie counter seems pretty dead on... both are motivation to move more...
  • sharonandwyatt
    sharonandwyatt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit HR. I like how it syncs to MFP with ease and I can see extra calories add up I just in case I need them or go over my daily calorie limit. I log all my food on MFP and watch my plate empty out on the Fitbit app.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I love my charge HR. I love knowing my TDEE as it changes day by day, so by that I am able to create a more accurate calorie deficit according to my activity per day. Before fitbit, some days I would over or under eat. Also, the sleep tracking is great- my husband finally believed that my sleep quality was as bad as I was saying! LOL.

Since owning the fitbit, I have been much more motivated to move. The challenges are so much fun!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Blaze (upgraded from a Flex) and I really enjoy having it. It's handy having everything in one place and I tested the HR function against my chest-strap Polar HRM and it's pretty much spot on with the exception of strength training as someone else already said, although I wonder if it's actually "more" accurate and the Polar overestimated the count. In any case it's far more accurate than the scores I see from logging exercises on MFP or various other apps (like a walking app I used to use). I used it in spin this morning and it was pretty much spot on. If I have my phone with me it taps into the GPS for running, cycling etc and that meets my needs, so personally I wouldn't have any need for a more sophisticated multi-sports Garmin. If I were still into triathlon, I would probably get another Garmin and something waterproof, but as it is this does the job for me these days.