90 days, 50 lbs GONE & 60 lbs to go!! (Pic)

Options
13»

Replies

• jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show you what a little bit of effort can do. Freaking good for you man.
  • kacowgill99
    kacowgill99 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! So what's your secret? My hubby is looking for advice!

No secret, just traded in all the bread, soda, and fast food for better nutrition. If there is a secret to what I've done, it is patience and consistency. 90 days seems pretty quick to lose 50 lbs, but there have been times that it has felt like an eternity when adjusting to this new lifestyle.
  • kacowgill99
    Options
    Did you do any exercise like cardio or weights?

This time, no, I have not done cardio or weights. I am more active in every day life than I was before, but I have not went to the gym hardly at all. The few times I have been, it was because I was so bored. I will say when I lost weight before about 10 years ago, I lived at the gym. I did cardio and weights and it worked. However, I could not maintain that gymrat lifestyle and gained all the weight back and lots more.

My goal this time was to clean up my nutrition and not wear myself out by working out too much. It's worked and my patience has paid off thus far. I do believe I am going to start a strength training program, but I have vowed that I will not engage in anything that I can sustain for a lifetime.
  • kacowgill99
    Options
    Congrats!!

I am just starting out. How did you do it? Counting calories only? Low carbs? both?

I am on a medically supervised VLCD (very low calorie diet). It utilizes meal replacements for maximum nutrition and rapid weight loss. There will be people that knock it but I am seeing a doctor and a dietitian on the reg and part of the program will be a transition back to real food. Currently I am eating 1 meal of real food and 2 meal replacements a day. Its worked for me and is great for my busy schedule. This has worked for me when nothing else would. Btw, it is the New Direction Weight Management system if you want to do more research.
  • kacowgill99
    Options
    Karmc2k wrote: »
    Wow, you look great! Please keep posting, you are doing a wonderful job! Do you notice feeling more energetic?

My energy is through the roof compared to my old self. That's not to say I am bouncing off the walls, but when I travel I don't engage in naps anymore when there is so much to do. I can go hard in the paint all day long and also get better sleep now that I am not waking up every several minutes at night.
  • kacowgill99
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Congratulations! Lots of hard work there! A couple of years ago I started about where you are now (235 @ 5'9") and was able to go down 50 in about 5 months. Still working on those last 10-15 though. I don't know if you're following any kind of program, but here's some advice if you're not already doing it:
    -Stop using weight and BMI as your main measuring sticks...they're relatively meaningless except to tell you that you're severely obese (which you no longer are)
    -Start *progressive* resistance training. I don't care if it's bodyweight only or a structured weightlifting program, do something. You'll thank yourself later.
    -Eat enough protein. The last two kind of go together. The reason for the resistance training and protein is to *hold onto* as much muscle as you can. You're not going to build much muscle, if any while losing the weight, but you want the majority of weight lost to be fat, not muscle.
    -weigh your food. The closer you get to your ideal weight, the harder it will come off and the more attention you'll have to give to EXACTLY how much food you're eating.
    -just keep going...actions lead to habbits, and habbits lead to results.

This is all great advice and I appreciate it a lot. I will definitely follow this and plan to start resistance training very soon!
  • okeefe01
    okeefe01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Keep it up!
    Its funny, looking at your current pic, there is no way, I would call that "obese", or think that you have 60! more lbs to lose.
    I am on my 3rd week of New Direction. I really wish I could have some real food. Hopefully, my Dr will let me do that before too long. Right now, I would commit a crime for a carrot! :)

I have 80 more lbs to lose. Your story is inspiring. Thanks!
  • HeatherSpicer1
    HeatherSpicer1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look awesome!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds a bit quick, but it's working!
  • Jakiracki
    Jakiracki Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!
  • kacowgill99
    Options
    Thank you all!

Okeefe01: As you have probably figured out the key to this program is sticking to it and being patient. If you are disiplined enough to make smart food choices then as long as you stick close to the nutrients the plan outlines and stay active you'll continue to see results even if you have real food. To me it's less about the meal replacement and more about rewiring the brain to make better food choices. Good luck to you sir and I will be rooting you on!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I've lurked (in an uncreepy way, promise!)
    Yeah right, good story.
    Just joking! Congratulations on your success, may you continue to do as well!
  • Richiepoo68
    Richiepoo68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely shocked to be writing this. I've lurked (in an uncreepy way, promise!) on MFP for years and tried to lose weight several different ways over the past 5-6 years but nothing stuck. I always did and still enjoy reading success stories on here but until now I never thought that I could be one of them. Like many others before me, late last fall something clicked in me and I decided I was going to give up my poor diet and engage in a healthier life. My struggle left me hopeless but once the fire was lit I haven't looked back. MFP has been such a huge part of my success from the accountability to the support I see for and from others.

Of course I would be kidding myself if I didn't mention the support of my amazing girlfriend Ally and my family & friends. As those of you who have and are doing it know the support of loved ones makes a huge difference.

I still have 60 lbs to lose and can use all the support I can get. I also enjoy rooting on my MFP friends so feel free to add me.

5'8" / 29 years old

Start December 10th
    Weight: 274 lbs
    Waist: 55 in
    Neck: 19.5 in
    BMI: 41.7 (Severe Morbid Obesity)

Now March 9th
    Weight: 224 lbs
    Waist: 48.5 in
    Neck: 17 in
    BMI: 34.1 (Obese)

q6lwtafrruhm.jpg

• safisana
    safisana Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I read your profile -- I'm a fan on Intervention, too, and I think it's a great idea to continually be thinking about how health impacts the rest of our life. Keep up the good work; you are lookin' good! :)
  • francuccia_1
    francuccia_1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely shocked to be writing this. I've lurked (in an uncreepy way, promise!) on MFP for years and tried to lose weight several different ways over the past 5-6 years but nothing stuck. I always did and still enjoy reading success stories on here but until now I never thought that I could be one of them. Like many others before me, late last fall something clicked in me and I decided I was going to give up my poor diet and engage in a healthier life. My struggle left me hopeless but once the fire was lit I haven't looked back. MFP has been such a huge part of my success from the accountability to the support I see for and from others.

Of course I would be kidding myself if I didn't mention the support of my amazing girlfriend Ally and my family & friends. As those of you who have and are doing it know the support of loved ones makes a huge difference.

I still have 60 lbs to lose and can use all the support I can get. I also enjoy rooting on my MFP friends so feel free to add me.

5'8" / 29 years old

Start December 10th
    Weight: 274 lbs
    Waist: 55 in
    Neck: 19.5 in
    BMI: 41.7 (Severe Morbid Obesity)

Now March 9th
    Weight: 224 lbs
    Waist: 48.5 in
    Neck: 17 in
    BMI: 34.1 (Obese)

q6lwtafrruhm.jpg

• francuccia_1
    francuccia_1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!