Help! I'm sick but need to work out

Options
Hi
I was sick for a month at the beginning of the year and now I am sick again. I just started going back to the gym! What do you suggest I do for exercise that won't over exert me? I'm having flu like symptoms and coughing. Thank you so much!!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    You are sick with flu like symptoms exercising will only make the symptoms worse as well as hinder getting well. What does your doctor say about exercising while sick?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk if you feel up to it, but otherwise I would say rest till you're better
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Please don't go to the gym while sick. The other gym goers who not appreciate getting sick from you
  • Mpalamar
    Mpalamar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree... don't go to the gym while sick. I have been really sick this past week and I put my work out aside to get better. Working out while your body is already fighting something else is not a very good idea IMO.
  • ashorey87
    ashorey87 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you are sick, you need rest. The gym will still be there when you are healthier.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It's better if you don't. Your body really needs the rest more than anything to properly take care of itself and fight off that infection.

Like someone said, take a nice walk outside, but don't do much more than that.
  • kmf91604
    kmf91604 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Please don't go to the gym while sick. The other gym goers who not appreciate getting sick from you

Oh I wouldn't dream of going to the gym! How rude that would be! I was thinking more secluded at home.
    But, this morning I'm significantly worse. So my body wins.
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd go for a nice long walk when I'm up to it, then cuddle up at home with tea and a warm blanket :smile:
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Even though it really stinks to have to give up on your workout routine, rest is really the best option for good recovery. I would give yourself a few days of no exertion, plenty of sleep and fluids. Just be diligent to eat well and take extra zinc and vitamin c! Slowly work back into it by light cardio, flexibility, and stretch exercises!

I used to get sick frequently, and come to find out, my immune system was in constant crash mode because of poor diet and over exercise. So listen to your body!!! Don't ignore the signs!

Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!
  • danielasaur
    danielasaur Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation! I'm down with a nasty flu, so I haven't been to the gym in about a week and a half, but I went out for a walk today instead and I feel great! Actually better than I did at the beginning of the day, so there is something to be said about getting fresh air!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    As well as resting, eat at maintenance until you are well. The increase in calories will help you heal.

Cheers, h.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Please don't go to the gym if you have flu symptoms. Its exceptionally rude to the other people there. No one wants to catch your flu!
  • kmf91604
    Options
    Please don't go to the gym if you have flu symptoms. Its exceptionally rude to the other people there. No one wants to catch your flu!

See my previous comment about that.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Wait til you're better!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    kmf91604 wrote: »

If you're sick enough that you wouldn't dream of being around other people, why are you trying to work out?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Oh I wouldn't dream of going to the gym! How rude that would be! I was thinking more secluded at home.
    But, this morning I'm significantly worse. So my body wins.

Thanks. It just bothers me to see people do this as I am immunosuppressed
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try doing some gentle stretches and maybe strength IF and only if you feel up to it. Try not to push your body past it's limits. I had a head injury a few weeks back and went mad with boredom. No tv, no work, no reading, no music and no exercise.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Rest. Heal. Resume.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I was sick with a fever all week so I didn't get to work out for days! I'm finally better but I've had to get back into it slowly because I can tell my body isn't back to normal yet. I'm still easily fatigued.

So I ate at maintenance all week and didn't work out and somehow I lost 2 pounds. How does that even work? Haha
  • kmf91604
    Options

If you're sick enough that you wouldn't dream of being around other people, why are you trying to work out?
    I meant at home dude