wanted to hit the scale with a hammer this morning!!

I have worked soooo hard the last 2 months, have lost 16 lbs so far,, yesterday was a 2 lb lost(my normal weigh day) and just for curiosity I jumped on my scale first thing this morning and I am up 5 lbs... I am like WTH just happened? my husband says he see's me toning and I know I have lost inces and clothes sizes but I am only half way to my goal ...so my question is, should I stop working out so much until I reach my weight loss goal and then workout? I dont do alot of weights...mainly 30 minutes on treadmil at 6-20 incline and 4-5 mph I alternate walking/running and then I do some aerobic and yoga on the wii fit plus... every now and then a bike ride or park walk with the kids..... all I know is I want the weight loss to continue to go down.. I dont undetstand a 5# jump overnight?

Replies

• Terriberry
    Terriberry Posts: 100
    That's why people say not to weigh yourself everyday. Our bodies fluctuate all the time. It could be water retention, or salt or you have used the restroom before you weighed yourself. Just relax and continue to workout. You're moving in the right direction. Dont stop now!
  • pritzels
    pritzels Posts: 1
    Keep going with what you are doing. It was probably just water weight. Body weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs a day!
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    If you are losing inches and getting toned, I would continue doing what you are doing. One thing I have learned these past 4 months is that the scale isn't everything. Yeah I want to weigh a lot less, but wearing a smaller size is so much better than the number on the scale.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    That happened to me the other day. I put the scale away. Keep on track with what you are doing, your are getting tone and working out, you maybe retaining more water for one reason or another. Your doing great and keep it up
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Unless you over ate 17 500 calories yesterday.....it's not fat. Drink water and please be patient. As an exemple, a few weeks ago, I gained 2 pounds and lost 1 inch at my hips at the same time.....I am shrinking so who care about what the scale say
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Ok don't panic! I don't even need to tell you you're doing everything right, you know this I can tell by your tone. Are you healthier? Are you happier? Are you fitter? Yes you are. There could be lots of reasons for a little fluctuation. You could have had too much sodium or not enough water and therefore be retaining water for example or it could simply be time of month. I'm assuming you're eating back your exercise calories so you don't plateau?

Keep up the good work, it can't be doing you any harm!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    When the scale lies, the tape measure doesn't. I am guilty of stepping on the scale everyday which can get frustrating (like I am now). It will go up and down. If you need a comfort, take your measurements. Inches lost is important too.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    It was probably just water. Unless you consumed a massive amount of calories, you dont jump 5lbs in one day. No worries, just keep doing what you are.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    When the scale lies, the tape measure doesn't. I am guilty of stepping on the scale everyday which can get frustrating (like I am now). It will go up and down. If you need a comfort, take your measurements. Inches lost is important too.

Well said!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    I think scale hammering should be our next Olympic sport. I mean if curling can make it in why not, and scale hammering would be much more fun and good for venting frustrations as well.

Seriously everyone fluctuates over the week.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    This happened to me this morning! :mad: :mad: :mad: I was UP 1.5 pounds from yesterday. I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day. I KNOW this...right now it's part of my morning routine, just like everything else I do in the morning.

So - you're not alone, but you know what? We're BETTER than the numbers on the scale. They don't mean anything. Overall I've lost a boatload of weight and the numbers are still trending down, regardless of what they do day to day. So F 'em. :wink:
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Thank you everyone for the motivation to keep going... I like the scale hammering olympic, LOL good one :) I know better then to weigh everyday, I just got excited see 2 lbs gone yesterday so I thought what they heck I will weigh again, but I put it away and will not weigh again until next Tuesday!! On another note... I drink ( 6) 16.9oz Dasani waters a day along with roughly 4 (8oz) cups of hot green tea (caf free) .. a friend told me I may be drinking too much water? again, Thank youi for the encouraging words!!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    OK, I'm new here. What do you mean by eating back your calories so you don't plateau. I always thought that just sticking to the 1200 calories a day and not trying to re-eat what you just took off was the better way to go.
  • dlpnrn2b
    well back in 2008 I joined WW and was told I needed to eat all my daily/weekly points but I had a friend who lost weight faster but not eating all her points so I tried the same thing but failed..once I asked my leader, she told me to not only eat all my daily/weekly points but to also eat my "fitness points" I thought she was crazy but I tried it and began losing 5 lbs a week verses 0.2 all the weeks before.. I lost 48 lbs over a 5 month period... just recently gained half that back from moving, and other depressing issues in my life... point is now I am just doing MFP and not WW (i dont like the new PP program) and I eat 1/2 my "fitness" calories back but not all of them... I too am on a 1200 cal count
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Thank you everyone for the motivation to keep going... I like the scale hammering olympic, LOL good one :) I know better then to weigh everyday, I just got excited see 2 lbs gone yesterday so I thought what they heck I will weigh again, but I put it away and will not weigh again until next Tuesday!! On another note... I drink ( 6) 16.9oz Dasani waters a day along with roughly 4 (8oz) cups of hot green tea (caf free) .. a friend told me I may be drinking too much water? again, Thank youi for the encouraging words!!

It may also have something to do with what time you weight yourself. I try to weigh in at the same day same time every week. You are always heavier at the end of the day. You're drinking 8 pounds of water alone.

and no that is not too much water.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
  • dlpnrn2b

Thank you for your link!! very imformative information!!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Thanks, I guess I'm letting my WW history guide me too!