How I lost 140 lbs in six months with help from MFP

Replies

• Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Amazing!!! Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration. I just started my journey on 01 March. The past 12 days have been frustrating at best. Weight fluctuations are the worse part. In fact, today I weighed more than 01 March when I started. Although it appears my measurements are smaller but about 1/4 inch everywhere. Hope to be able to post a success story myself one day.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Very inspiring!!! Thanks for sharing & congratulations on your weight loss achievments!!!
  • annod5858
    annod5858 Posts: 5 Member
    Awesome job! Congratulations! :smiley:
  • queenscorpio73
    queenscorpio73 Posts: 59 Member
    That's amazing!
  • one235
    one235 Posts: 70 Member
    you did so great.. congrats to you.. one question, I just have a hard time figuring out my deficit calories..
  • lalapurpledog
    lalapurpledog Posts: 28 Member
    Oh wow! So inspirational. Thank you so much for sharing this story. Now, I need to get moving. I am also worried about the excess skin and looking older than my age (I'm 34). I guess excess skin isn't as bad as being overweight though.

Also, it hurts for me to walk because I am so overweight. Every time I start an exercise program, I always get nasty blisters on my feet. Did you experience this?
  • misslucylee777
    misslucylee777 Posts: 1 Member
    This is a very inspiring success story. I am wondering what you ate on normal days. What made up the 1400 calories?
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    theprez98 wrote: »
    In the six months between August 2015 and February 2016, I went from 339 lbs. to 199 lbs.--a total of 140 lbs. of weight loss. Over the course of that six months, and especially since then, a lot of people have asked me how I did it. Rather than respond to them all individually (and to them I apologize that it's taken so long to answer your questions), I decided that it would be easier to put it all in a post so that others might find it useful as well. This post is a bit lengthy, so stay with me.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. I'm not a physical trainer. I'm not a nutritionist. I have absolutely no knowledge other than what I have learned through experience...and through Google. What worked for me may or may not work for you. I'm not telling you what to do--I'm telling you my story in the hopes that you may find something interesting worth investigating on your own.

My path was as easy and simple as A-B-C-D.

OK, it wasn't that easy. And it wasn't as simple as A-B-C-D. But it wasn't as difficult as you might assume. And while there are a lot factors to consider, I want to explain how I simplified them in a way that made my daily goals easier to understand.

First, the backstory. I had been overweight for several years, and was planning on having bariatic surgery. As part of that process, my insurance company required me to go on a six month monitored weight loss program with my doctor. There is no requirement that one has to actually lose a certain amount of weight, but presumably the insurance company wants to make sure that you're a good candidate for surgery by having your weight monitored.

On August 21, 2015, I met with my doctor (she's actually a CRNP, but for the sake of my discussion I will refer to her as my doctor) and we developed a plan that including 30 minutes of physical activity, five days a week; and counting and limiting calories by using MyFitnessPal.

The integration of physical activity and calories consumed is where ABCD comes in. My simple equation, developed from MFP, is:

( A + B ) - C = D

where:

A = Active calories; those burned from doing physical activities.
    B = Basal metabolic rate, or BMR; amount of energy expended while at rest.
    C = Consumed calories; counted from scanning everything you eat.
    D = Deficit of calories.

Again, this is simplified. It's designed to be as easy as possible.

(A)ctive calories. You may think that burning calories means intensive cardio, like stair-climbing, running, etc. And these activities will certainly burn a lot of calories. But you need not do these things to burn fat. In fact, some studies recommend that burning fat works best when your heart rate is in Zone 2. This varies by age, but for someone like me that's in the range of 110-120 bpm. At 339 lbs., I could pretty easily get into this range by walking. So that's what I did.

I very quickly ramped up, within a month, to walking 20-25k+ steps a day, on average. On some days I was walking a half marathon worth of steps. Yes, that's a lot of time. At about 3.3 mph, I was walking 3-4 hours a day. Before work, during work, after work.

You can measure your heart rate by hand, by using an app like Runtastic Heart Rate, or a step tracking device. I used a Fitbit to track steps (that's a story for another day...) and Garmin vivofit heart rate monitor for more detailed data, but the exact numbers don't really matter. If you're consistently getting into Zone 2, you're going to burn calories and fat. From September through December, I was consistently burning about 1,600 calories/day. Of course, as you lose weight, you'll have to do more activity to keep up your burn rate.

(B)asal metabolic rate. Apps like MFP will calculate this for you, or you can find calculators online. It will be higher when you're heavier, and get lower as you lose weight. When I started at 339 lbs., my BMR was about 2,400. Now it's closer to 1,800-1,900. Otherwise, you should consider this number a constant in your equation.

(C)onsumed calories. This is everything you eat. Almost everything has a bar code, and MFP has almost everything online. If you absolutely can't find calorie numbers, find something close and do your best guess. Otherwise Scan everything and don't cheat yourself. Buy yourself a scale and weigh your food portions. Buy measuring cups and measure your portions. I very quickly settled into a daily calorie consumption of about 1,400 calories/day. This is very low. It's even low for someone on a diet. But I can honestly say this--despite all of my walking, I was not hungry. I planned three, ~400 calorie meals with a snack in between; and added a daily multivitamin.

(D)eficit of calories. Keep in mind that 3,500 calories is equivalent to one pound.
    So here's a rough approximation of an average day for me:

[Active calories (1,600) + BMR (2,400)] - Calories consumed (1,400) = Deficit (2,600)

I'll stop here briefly and mention that 2,600 calorie deficit per day is pretty ridiculous. To be sure, I met with my doctor every month, and did blood work and other monitoring. But please do not assume that this is normal or average. It is not.

A deficit of 2,600 calories a day is a deficit of 18,200 calories a week, or 5.2 lbs. In fact, For about four months I was losing an average of 7 lbs. a week. Over the course of the six months, it really did average out to just over 5 lbs. a week (I started a new job in January and did not have the opportunity to walk as much). I weighed myself every day first thing in the morning and logged it (as a side note, you might try weighing yourself before you go to bed and then again first thing in the morning--the results may surprise you). Here's the key: no matter what your weight loss goal, you must create calorie deficits. This is the single most important factor to consistent weight loss.

There is much more to my weight loss than this post--this is only a brief summary focusing on the basic math. I plan to follow up this post based on your questions and comments. If you're concerned about asking a question that might seem too personal, don't worry about it and just ask. Shoes, clothes, blisters, chafing, loose skin, food portions, types of food, macros, diets, pizza, junk food, sleep habits, body temperature, walking, running, biking, swimming...there are so many things that come along with weight loss I cannot possibly cover them here. So please feel free to ask whatever comes to mind and I'll be more than happy to answer.

csg5qjqeyv87.jpg

SW: 277 lb (October 2015)
    CW: 240 lb (1 March 2016)
    Goal W: 180 lb

wow this is the first story here i liked too much because i want to lose weight like you did.

I was also walking like crazy 12+ miles per day.
    eating 1500-1800 calories.
    Most of of people here were not happy from my post because they were saying that i am not losing weight safely then i started walking less and eating 1800 calories per day but this way i was not losing too much weight.

But now i will follow your way and will lose weight.

Thank you so much for sharing.
  • gingerbread110
    gingerbread110 Posts: 2 Member
    What an inspiring journey!!!
  • hepeters84
    hepeters84 Posts: 4 Member
    I think you have done an amazing job. X its good to be an inspiration. Well done mate xx you look great. X
  • Coupongrl79
    Coupongrl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Awesome job! I have been making it a priority to walk daily. Love to hear that you have had such success by just walking. Way to go!
  • theprez98
    theprez98 Posts: 15 Member
    one235 wrote: »
    one question, I just have a hard time figuring out my deficit calories..

To figure out your deficit, you need to track two things: your calories burned (both BMR and active), and then everything you eat. A Fitbit or other fitness tracker can help you with the first; MFP can help you with the second. Plug in the numbers and it's all right there.

• theprez98
    I guess excess skin isn't as bad as being overweight though.

Absolutely. Excess skin is something you can worry about later. It's annoying! But the health impacts of being overweight are far more important to consider than what is (in my view) a cosmetic concern.
    Also, it hurts for me to walk because I am so overweight. Every time I start an exercise program, I always get nasty blisters on my feet. Did you experience this?

Yes. Blisters happen, even with good walking shoes. What I found worked best for me was moleskin to reduce friction spots and it really helped to reduce blisters.
  • theprez98
    Most of of people here were not happy from my post because they were saying that i am not losing weight safely then i started walking less and eating 1800 calories per day but this way i was not losing too much weight.

The most important thing I can say is that, if you really want to go the way of big calorie deficits, make sure you're doing it under the supervision of a medical professional!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    theprez98 wrote: »

The most important thing I can say is that, if you really want to go the way of big calorie deficits, make sure you're doing it under the supervision of a medical professional!

Quoting this for the truth!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Well done, @theprez98!

Nicely written OP, too!

• anndelaney67
    anndelaney67 Posts: 35 Member
    Very well done,im doing a similar thing, 3 weeks in 7.5lbs lost im aiming at 1000 calories deficits i call it my mathematical dietand its working :)
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Great job! I like your ABCD approach :)
  • minijoanna
    minijoanna Posts: 27 Member
    Your transformation is inspiring. You can see the happiness in your face in the 'after' pic
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    theprez98: Congratulations on your progress and I wish you the best on your continued success! To me, the thing that shines through in your story is your commitment to getting healthier every day. It kind of comes back to the slow and steady wins the race kind of philosophy. So many people approach weight loss as a starve and work yourself to death doing excessive exercise that they burn out quickly and quit and then start the failure/self-loathing cycle again and again when if they had just reduced the number of calories they eat to less then they are burning and move more each day then they did before, they would actually be able to sustain it longer and succeed. I know there are people reading this saying that losing 140 pounds in 6 months is not slow and steady, but what I mean is you committed to your plan, steadily increased your movement and decreased your food intake then moved forward every day doing what you knew you had to do to achieve success. I know it wasn't as easy as you make it sound. You had to figure out what foods to eat that make you feel full longer so you don't want to go eat every item in the kitchen! You had to commit to changing your life and some very ingrained habits, but you did it and you have a great success story to show for it! Thanks for sharing it! You are living proof that there is hope for the rest of us!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!