Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I ... ummm.... nope... not that.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    No it's not normal. I question your cause-effect analysis. See your doctor and get an actual diagnosis. Women are very atypical in the way they present with cardiac issues.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Could it be that eating what you consider "junk" is making you a bit anxious, even if you are not aware of it? Or that you have developed some deficiency that causes heart palpitations and this anxiety makes you notice it more after eating junk food? As far as I know, nothing in potato chips causes heart palpitations. It's just potatoes, oil and salt. Does a potato salad cause the same issues?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Could it be that eating what you consider "junk" is making you a bit anxious, even if you are not aware of it? Or that you have developed some deficiency that causes heart palpitations and this anxiety makes you notice it more after eating junk food? As far as I know, nothing in potato chips causes heart palpitations. It's just potatoes, oil and salt. Does a potato salad cause the same issues?

From her use of the term clean eating and has been "eating clean" the last couple months-this was my first guess. She probably subconsciously correlates chips as "bad" now since they're "junk" and is experiencing anxiety or guilt from eating them.

Go get it checked out, heart palpitations are not something to ignore OP.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I had heart palpitations when I overate a very high carb food. I am diabetic and need to moderate my carb consumption and spread them out over the day. I talked to my doctor and she said the palpitations were from the sudden really high spike in blood sugar. My T2Dm is totally managed through diet and exercise (my A1C ans fasting glucose are on the low side of the normal range), but I will ALWAYS be diabetic and need to watch my diet because of it.

I echo what the others said . . . get thee to a doctor. You need to know what is happening and if you need to adjust something.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Are these chips laced with speed?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    No it's not normal. I question your cause-effect analysis. See your doctor and get an actual diagnosis. Women are very atypical in the way they present with cardiac issues.

This
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Mpalamar wrote: »
    I don't feel it's necessary to go to the doctors. Heart palpitations are very common and rarely a cause for concern. I know exactly what's causing them (the chips) - so I know if I stop eating them (which I obviously will) then I won't have them anymore. I just found it strange. My body has never reacted to a food like this before. It's more interesting than it is scary.

PS. Not looking for a diagnosis either, lol...

No.

So. Much. No.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    From her use of the term clean eating and has been "eating clean" the last couple months-this was my first guess. She probably subconsciously correlates chips as "bad" now since they're "junk" and is experiencing anxiety or guilt from eating them.

Go get it checked out, heart palpitations are not something to ignore OP.

That was my thought too. Stress-induced panic attacks are a distinct possibility. I'd go see a doctor because palpitations are generally a sign something's wrong with your heart, not your diet.

• stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Terry Schiavo probably had similiar thoughts before going into cardiac arrest and turning into a vegetable for 15 years before being allowed to die. Vitamin K deficiency while dieting. You're on here to get healthy, so don't ignore warning signs.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If it's truly occurring after eating chips (rather than coincidence), then you'd definitely need your blood sugar and electrolytes checked. So if you know it's the chips, it means that you have an 'imbalance' that needs addressing more than just avoiding chips.

You should get it checked anyway, as they can be an important symptom of dangerous conditions. I have to take meds for mine, especially if I want to be exercising.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Terry Schiavo probably had similiar thoughts before going into cardiac arrest and turning into a vegetable for 15 years before being allowed to die. Vitamin K deficiency while dieting. You're on here to get healthy, so don't ignore warning signs.

#toosoon
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I am curious why you think the chips make you have heart palpitations? I don't see the logic behind that.

PS--I experience mild palpitations too, just before my period. I found out this was normal by asking my doctor about it.

Me, too, usually with hot flashes. Yay hormones.
    Chips could cause palpitations if your blood pressure was already hypertensive and the increased sodium pushed you over, but in that case, you STILL need to see a doctor because having undiagnosed hypertension is a huge problem all on it's own.

Short answer- Not normal. Call your doctor. Why are you asking us if you don't believe us? :(
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Palpitations can be caused by a lot of different things - but probably not chips. I have a long heart history, and I kmow new palpitations always need to be discussed with a doctor. It's probably nothing - but what if it isn't?
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

#toosoon

#notifyouliveinFlorida
    #11yearsago
    #15yearsofnewsupdates

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I ignored my cardiac symptoms (blamed the palpitations on being "anxious" ) until my heart rate dropped to 30. I still ignored it for week(!?) before finally going to the ER, being diagnosed as being in complete heart block and ending up with a pacemaker 3 days later. They still have no concrete reason as to why it happened.
    For the love of God...just go to the Dr. Let them rule out anything nasty.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    No, it's not normal. I get heart palpitations from eating grains and dairy (which I don't digest well anyway) as well as low blood pressure. BUT, I have a condition called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). I have low blood volume which contributes to low blood pressure and my autonomic nervous system doesn't work properly all the time. In terms of eating grains and its relationship on my tachycardia (heart palpitations), my cardiologist has explained that this happens to me because grains and dairy are harder for my body to digest, so as my stomach is digesting, more blood rushes to that area. This makes my heart work harder (the heart palpitations) and my blood pressure drop.

I am NOT saying that you have this at all - to be clear, it is rare. BUT I am saying that if this continues, you really should see your doctor. Your heart is not something to play around with and no one on here can diagnose you.

Actually, that's not true. I too have POTS but it doesn't automatically mean low bp, mine is high. If you have low bp and POTS then you most likely have NCS as well. I have a loop recorder implanted in my chest as a result of the SVT episodes and an episode of ventricular tachycardia. And yes, I too feel the post meal palps if I eat a heavy meal. I also had AVNRT [SVT from an accessory pathway] and was ablated for that as well. Nice to know Im not the only one here living with the PIA disorder.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

She was bulimic though. She went into cardiac arrest due to complications from her eating disorder. That's really not the same thing as dieting, that's a full blown eating disorder.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    No, it's not normal. I get heart palpitations from eating grains and dairy (which I don't digest well anyway) as well as low blood pressure. BUT, I have a condition called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). I have low blood volume which contributes to low blood pressure and my autonomic nervous system doesn't work properly all the time. In terms of eating grains and its relationship on my tachycardia (heart palpitations), my cardiologist has explained that this happens to me because grains and dairy are harder for my body to digest, so as my stomach is digesting, more blood rushes to that area. This makes my heart work harder (the heart palpitations) and my blood pressure drop.

I am NOT saying that you have this at all - to be clear, it is rare. BUT I am saying that if this continues, you really should see your doctor. Your heart is not something to play around with and no one on here can diagnose you.

Actually, that's not true. I too have POTS but it doesn't automatically mean low bp, mine is high. If you have low bp and POTS then you most likely have NCS as well. I have a loop recorder implanted in my chest as a result of the SVT episodes and an episode of ventricular tachycardia. And yes, I too feel the post meal palps if I eat a heavy meal. I also had AVNRT [SVT from an accessory pathway] and was ablated for that as well. Nice to know Im not the only one here living with the PIA disorder.

You are correct. My apologies. I did not mean to imply that POTS = low bp. My bp runs low regardless and tends to drop, but yes, there are different forms of POTS. My only diagnosis is POTS though, not NCS...but it has crossed my mind before through research and reading that I have done. Maybe I should bring that up next time I see my cardiologist... Regardless, heart palpitations are still not normal...

edited for clarity.
  • yweight1969
    yweight1969 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Mpalamar wrote: »
    I don't feel it's necessary to go to the doctors. Heart palpitations are very common and rarely a cause for concern. I know exactly what's causing them (the chips) - so I know if I stop eating them (which I obviously will) then I won't have them anymore. I just found it strange. My body has never reacted to a food like this before. It's more interesting than it is scary.

PS. Not looking for a diagnosis either, lol... [/quot

GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!???

I was told by my doctor palpitations can be caused by to much caffeine in things like coffee, soda, chocolate and in any other product it's hidden in.

But from your basic healthy food or something like chips it's doubtful, and even though a great deal of people have palpitations and no health problems everyone is not you. Know you didn't want a diagnosis but you asked for opinions and a person who had palpitations and who has a daughter who has constant scary palpitations who need beta blockers for it I say doctor, doctor, doctor not the internet forums. Take care.