Just can't stick with it

Options
Melissa12364
Melissa12364 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2016 in Motivation and Support
Well, I'm a 20 year old girl that knows she needs to loose weight. I've tried dieting and exercise, and some days I get a surge of will power to use MFP, but it doesn't last long. Within the week I get tired of logging and loose my will power, and go right back to my bad habbits. I'm looking for people (who may feel the same way as me) who will help each other stay motivated, who will see that if I haven't logged breakfast in, will message me and "scream" at me to get off my butt. And I will do so in return. It's easier to do something like this together and with someone you trust. :)

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you don't have desire and motivation within you to really do it - you don't *really* want to lose the weight yet. For this to work as a long-term lifestyle you have to want to succeed more than anything.

Nobody can want it more than you do.
  • kacymiller13
    kacymiller13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in that boat, I want to lose, but I don't want to have to work for it. I have a three month old and he keeps me busy most the day. I have been trying to eat better but there are many days I don't have the motivation to prepare and cook anything. I'm exhausted. So I miss logging my food at least a couple days a week usually. I have a Mexico vacation trip planned in July and I would love to get down to my goal weight by then, but I just can't seem to keep motivated.
  • ritaw68
    ritaw68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You should try not to see this as a "diet." This is a lifestyle and just like with any lifestyle change, it takes hard work and commitment but once you commit and start seeing the changes, it will motivate you. I'm not sure if you cook, but try researching healthy alternative recipes to meals that you already love. Try not to give up too much too soon or you'll feel deprived and defeated. Also leave room for a treat. Get yourself a fitbit (or any step tracking device) and start getting those steps in. Feel free to add me if you like. You can do this.
  • ritaw68
    ritaw68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ritaw68 wrote: »
    You should try not to see this as a "diet." This is a lifestyle and just like with any lifestyle change, it takes hard work and commitment but once you commit and start seeing the changes, it will motivate you. I'm not sure if you cook, but try researching healthy alternative recipes to meals that you already love. Try not to give up too much too soon or you'll feel deprived and defeated. Also leave room for a treat. Get yourself a fitbit (or any step tracking device) and start getting those steps in. Feel free to add me if you like. You can do this.

One more thing. If you have a smartphone, definitely download the app. It makes it incredibly easy to log.
  • MichaelfromNE1
    MichaelfromNE1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble. I am working on the mind set of finding the right balance in my life for Spiritual,physical and emotional health. It has to be seen as a permanent change, instead of a diet.Start small with activity that is fun. That way you look forward to it, rather then dreading it. Work on keeping the food program basic. Measure or portion your food reasonably and avoid empty calorie foods that have little value. Increase activity in your daily routines . Increase fiber intake and water. I like to meditate/pray/ or listen to music when I move. It makes it more relaxing and gives me an additional boost! I avoid stepping on the scale weekly. Instead I plan on weighing myself every few weeks just to make sure I am still on track. That way I don't get discouraged if it comes off slow at first. You will see a difference in time. Just keep at it. Soon you will feel better and crave the changes that make you feel better. Let your spiritual life enhance your motivation and energize you to keep on track! Best Wishes!!!
  • Larrwein
    Larrwein Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Sending a friend request :)
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Motivation and willpower are fleeting and can wane and wax multiple times during the day, let alone over time. Making a change for your health takes a decision to just do it. You brush your teeth and shower and get ready for work and take the kids to Place X and go to work and make dinner and....(you get it) without willpower and motivation, right. This is the same thing. If you're not ready to do it at that level, I'm afraid you'll bounce up and down until you get to that point.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but it's like a smoker who kinda wants to quit, asks people to tell them not to smoke, and somehow they think "screw it I'm gonna have a cigarette anyway". The smoker won't stop, unless they REALLY REALLY want to.

Same here. If you REALLY REALLY want to lose weight, then you'll do what it takes WHETHER you have support or not. What's it gonna take? Only you know. For some, it had to be a trip to the doctor letting them know that they've achieved onset diabetes. For others, it was the realization that they couldn't go on that family hike due to physical inability. You have to figure out what it is that does it for you.
    People can cheer you on, encourage you, inspire you, etc., but unless you REALLY WANT IT, it's likely a short lived attempt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot to ask of internet strangers. I sometimes don't get around to my own log until late in the day. I certainly don't have time to be monitoring someone else.

That being said, you have the power to do it. Even if you just start by saying you will log everything. No pressure to stay within goal right off the hop. Just log it all. As you are doing this, it becomes automatic. You will see places you could make changes for the better, and that will work it's way in. Small steps. Don't try to change everything at once. That can be really overwhelming.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff and @nutmegoreo have just helped you more than any well meaning motivational internet friend ever will with their replies. You have to find a way to push yourself because nobody else can do the work for you. But there's nothing wrong with having supportive people to connect with, just don't put the responsibility on them for you. If it's any help, I used to do the whole starting a diet/gym plan thing over and over many years ago and then in 2012 it finally stuck and I haven't looked back. I dare say almost everyone else on here has stories of repeated failed attempts before everything finally clicked as well. That's what you have to do, keep trying until it finally clicks. And when it does, it'll be a whole lot easier.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sorry, but it's like a smoker who kinda wants to quit, asks people to tell them not to smoke, and somehow they think "screw it I'm gonna have a cigarette anyway". The smoker won't stop, unless they REALLY REALLY want to.

Same here. If you REALLY REALLY want to lose weight, then you'll do what it takes WHETHER you have support or not. What's it gonna take? Only you know. For some, it had to be a trip to the doctor letting them know that they've achieved onset diabetes. For others, it was the realization that they couldn't go on that family hike due to physical inability. You have to figure out what it is that does it for you.
    People can cheer you on, encourage you, inspire you, etc., but unless you REALLY WANT IT, it's likely a short lived attempt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Right here.
    A rallying team is a great asset to have, but unless you are leading the fight to change yourself, it holds little value.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    What they said. For whatever it may be worth, what finally got me on track, at age 60, was a dr's suggestion to drop all white carbs, going to whole grains and such. Of course, that also meant no more snacks of chips, cake and candy. I also paid more attention to portion size. But for the first time in my life, it didn't feel like dieting. Over the next 18 months or so, I lost 40 to 50 lbs. I came here to get back to logging, because I knew the last 20 lbs would need more arrention. Went from 21st to 140-145.

I hope this helps you as much as the suggestion helped me. ☺
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you belong to a gym. Start with the classes.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    "Knowing" you need to lose weight isn't enough. I "knew" I was obese for a long time, I "knew" I should do something about my weight, but I didn't have the right mindset to actually do it. I was stuck on the idea that weightloss was hard, restrictive and miserable, and I didn't want to give up the things I love. Having a supportive team to cheer me on might possibly have helped a little, but they wouldn't have been able to force me to eat and/or do the right things to make it happen.

It was finally deciding to do this for myself, because I wanted it more than I wanted to stay fat, and learning that I could just count calories and not have to give up anything completely, that flipped the switch in my head and lit up the "you can do this!" sign. :smile:

OP, I'm afraid that until you're really ready to lose weight because you want to, and not because you think you should, then you're going to struggle with sticking to a new lifestyle. No one else can make you do it. If you do want to make changes, try changing small things one at a time. Replace a high calorie regular treat with a lower calorie version, or have a smaller portion of something you eat often. Give it a week or two, then change something else. When you're ready, commit to logging your food every day for a week - then another week, then another...

You can do it - if you want to. :smile:
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you use the app, you can set it to notify you if you haven't logged a meal by a certain time. You will need to learn to get yourself "off your butt" without any outside help...the same way you make yourself get up when your alarm clock goes off, or anything else you do on a regular basis that you "get tired" of doing. No one else can do the hard work for you.
  • ldw123086
    ldw123086 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!! We can do this together!!!! Add me :)