Breathing ?

Options
Does your breathing through different exercise effect your results ? I know this may sound silly but when your doing crunches or squats will breathing help tone ?? Or does my DVD just like to remind people to breathe lol

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Breathing is important for life. Changing your breathing will not affect your deficit unless you stop breathing and pass out. Then your activity level will drop resulting in fewer calories burned.

Also, proper breathing is important for heavy lifting in order to prevent excess internal body pressure that can lead to some problems.

In your videos? I'm guessing that it's just something to say. Those video people never seem to shut up and sometimes speak just to fill dead air.
  • healthandwellnessguru7
    Options
    You have to breath. If not, you'll risk passing out. Especially if the workout is intense!
  • Lauralou23mfp
    Lauralou23mfp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What I meant was I do breathe but inhaling and exhaling at a different rate to the 30 day shred DVD lol I just wanted to make sure that breathing my way was ok and it wasn't going to help me tone up better doing it a cetain way :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What I meant was I do breathe but inhaling and exhaling at a different rate to the 30 day shred DVD lol I just wanted to make sure that breathing my way was ok and it wasn't going to help me tone up better doing it a cetain way :)

If you don't breathe, chances are you won't be toned at all.
    Other than that, don't worry about it too much.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your workouts, but controlling breathing is essential for swimming. I've found that yoga is a great help.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes breathing is very important when exercising, and how you breath during a particular lift or exercise is very important. its not gonna help you tone better or faster, but it will help you do a lift or exercise more successfully which will in turn help your fitness and strength and progress.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A synchro swimmer would say air is over-rated. ;)