Help with Women's pants brand for Pear shape (bigger thighs)

Options
Can anyone recommend a pants/jeans brand for someone with a 10+ inch difference between waist and hips with thicker thighs? I've always had a hard time finding pants to fit my pear shape, and it appears that even though I've lost over 60 pounds, that is continuing to be true.

I find the Lee Relaxed Fit side elastic work pretty well, but they aren't sold in store anywhere near me and I've shrunk out of the ones I own. I'd like to try on what I'm buying before ordering online because otherwise I'm not sure what size will fit and I hate the hassle and cost of shipping things back.

Most other brands I've tried are way too gappy in the waist and tight in the thighs. I prefer a style that fits at the waist rather than lower on the hips. My current measurements are Waist 29, hips 40, upper thighs 22, and I'm 48 years old.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    What I've started buying to remedy that is low rise jeans. They sit lower on the hip and eliminate having to fit so much smaller through the waist. I found jeans that fit my pear shape well in American eagle. Old navy had a cut called the sweetheart (or flirt) that worked for me too. Good luck. We pears have it tough. :/
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I bought George brand from Walmart and they fit okay. They're cut a bit loose and there will ALWAYS be that "waist too loose/thighs too big" thing with whatever you buy when you hate low-rise pants (sorry, I like my butt covered tyvm). Worse because I can't wear a belt due to an allergy.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    First off, @zyxst <3 the Richard pic

Second, I've had luck with the Lee and Gloria Vanderbilt brands at Kohl's. They are mid rise and fit well in the waist and my huge thighs! The Sweetheart from Old Navy have too much room in the front like there's too much material there. I just wish I could find a skinny jean that fit in the waist, thigh, and calf but I think that's just something that's never going to happen for me.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I didn't see where you want jeans that sit higher up. I still would say to think about trying the American eagle jeans. They're cut different than other jeans I've owned because they come up higher in the back than the front. Say...just under your waistline in the back and slightly lower in front. Definitely not "butt crack" pants. I'm too old for that! LOL!

We have very similar proportions.
    25" waist
    36" hips
    21.5 thighs
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Your shape and measurements are very close to mine. Try Levi's for females. Kohl's has a nice variety.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    Not Your Daughter Jeans (NYDJ) and Chico's jeans and pants, is what I am wearing now. I am short and I also have between 9 and 10 inches difference between my waist and hips and my thights are 20.5 inches. Being very short presents an additional problem to the waist-hip ratio.

I don't like mid rise pants because they leave a gap around my small waist, but sometimes it is all that I can find. I never found anything appealing in Walmart or Kohl's but I did find a pair of decent looking jeans in Ann Taylor (the Loft) for sexy-curvy-petite. NYDJ's jeans sit more at the natural waist than any other brand.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I normally wear SOHO pants, they stretch and works wonders on my big thighs. Ross sells them for at a discount - $19.99 and less
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My proportions are similar to yours: 24" waist, 37" hips, 21" thighs. I haven't worn non-stretchy pants in years. I get the Target skinny jeans. Yes, they're probably a fashion don't on my figure, but I like the pared down look with a tunic top.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I like Lucky Brand "easy riders" or "sweet n low" (they aren't really low rise, despite the name - both styles hit me just below the belly button). I still need a belt, but they aren't as bad as a lot of other brands. Fwiw I have a 27" waist, 37" hips, and 22" thighs. Levis curvy boot cut (529) are also pretty good. More room in the thigh than most brands.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    See if this article has any suggestions that apply: http://www.redbookmag.com/fashion/how-to/g572/best-jeans-for-body-type/?slide=6
  • JudyBosworth
    JudyBosworth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes re George from Walmart - but also you might try Alia, with the elastic waist
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Try Not Your Daughter's Jeans.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Definitely not cheap
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I second American Eagle, as they have a higher back and low front, which works to keep my butt from creating a gap in the back and pulling the waistband into my gut in the front. I have also found some Express jeans that I like (though I buy them at Marshalls/TJ Maxx as I don't like the regular price). Believe it or not, Walmart had a curvy bootcut that fit amazing but has now been discontinued. Still, the "curvy" part on a jean name is usually a good indicator that it will be cut a bit roomier in the hip and thigh. The Levi's curvy boot mentioned are also good.

Currently my measurements are 26 waist (29 abdomen), 38 hip/butt (my measurement comes more from butt than hip lol) and mid-thigh apx 20 (upper thigh 23).
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Keep the suggestions coming if you have more, especially for slacks that aren't jeans (I need pants for work too). I appreciate your time. I'll look into all of these.

Cybernana, is Alia also at Walmart? I looked at their website and nothing came up with Alia as a search term.

jwcanfield, thanks for the link. All of those looked like the waist and hips were very similar in size in the pictures. Have you worn any of them?

quiarga, I'll give Gloria Vanderbilt another try at Kohl's. Costco has that brand but the thighs were always tight on me (at least when I was heavier) so I haven't tried them at Kohls.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have you tried the Loft cut that's for curvy women? I forget the name. I have a 28.5" waist and 38" hips and 21.75" thighs so not quite the same ratio but I have a friend built like you and she loves the Loft cut that's designed for more pear-shaped women.
  • nebaru
    nebaru Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Express, editor's cut. Aeropostale, high waisted jeggings. Both are available in short (I'm 5'5 and short length is perfect). I would think you are a size 6/8 with those measurements.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    quiarga wrote: »
    Second, I've had luck with the Lee and Gloria Vanderbilt brands at Kohl's. They are mid rise and fit well in the waist and my huge thighs!

I would also suggest looking at Gloria Vanderbilt.

• CLK63
    CLK63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work at Penningtons and we have a Curvy fit that is made for a smaller waist and bigger hips and thighs. They have some stretch for comfort and they are a hit for most women with a pear shape. :)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Definitely not cheap

I agree that NYDJ are not cheap, but jeans can last for a very long time if you take care of them. I prefer to spend many in a good pair of jeans that fits my body nicely rather than wear something that makes me look older than I am (and I am older!) and totally unflattering. But we are all different.