Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

BCAAs are they good as a fat burner and muscle recovery?

I have been heading to gym and the pool almost everyday and the weight drop is not much however the soreness and pain is real I was reading somewhere that bcaa is good for recovery and as a fat burner during your work out session does anyone have any experience using these?

Replies

• Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    edited March 2016
    . BCAA is touted as a Thermogenic and to quote @ninerbuff on this one.
    Thermogenics are nothing more than a stimulant and some other ingredients thrown together to make an exhorbitant amount of money for the seller. Very little fat burn is attributed to them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Supplements do not burn fat. If you get adequate protein adding BCAAs won't make much of a difference. If you are low on protein than you may see some recovery benefits by taking BCAAs. BCAAs are just amino acids, which you get from eating protein containing foods.
  • thepicadillomix
    thepicadillomix Posts: 9 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Supplements do not burn fat. If you get adequate protein adding BCAAs won't make much of a difference. If you are low on protein than you may see some recovery benefits by taking BCAAs. BCAAs are just amino acids, which you get from eating protein containing foods.

Thanks I'll just make sure to bump up my protein amount
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i never thought of it as a fat burner.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Nothing special about BCAAs. The research on BCAAs that shows they are effective for helping muscle retention are from people that don't eat enough protein.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i never thought of it as a fat burner.

Me neither. I take them when I work out fasted to (hopefully) prevent muscle catabolism. I don't think they are generally considered a fat burner.

• punisher532
    punisher532 Posts: 2 Member
    BCAAs help fat loss .An epidemiological study has shown that people whose diet contains high amounts of BCAAs are thinner than people who consume lower amounts. This is partly due to the effect that leucine supplementation has it raises the metabolic rate. But the It was discovered that leucine is not the only slimming factor in BCAAs
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    BCAAs are the branched together amino acids, leucine, ISO leucine, and valine. Their main purpose is to start protein synthesis, aiding in recovery and assists in preventing your body from going catabolic during long workouts and long periods without stimulus(such as comas or bed ridden). But even then you still need to consume actual protein in order to gain mass. BCAAs are nothing more than a jump starter, which are generally not needed by the average person. I wouldn't recommend using them as a fat burner, more so to maintain lean mass and energy during a cut.