Tips to make eating healthy cheaper

Options
13»

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    ALSO I really see no real beneift of PB2 over ordinary peanut butter.

It's not a necessity of course, but I love powdered peanut butter because I'm getting the taste of peanut butter and 5 to 6 grams of protein for half the fat and around 1/4th of the calories of regular peanut butter.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your family, but we can't leave a restaurant without spending at least $50. We order waters and stick to cheaper menu items - we are a family of 5. Even fast food places we spend at least $20-25.

Cutting out 1 fast food outing a week, means an extra $80-$100 for groceries per month.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

It's not a necessity of course, but I love powdered peanut butter because I'm getting the taste of peanut butter and 5 to 6 grams of protein for half the fat and around 1/4th of the calories of regular peanut butter.

I struggle to get enough fat in my diet - LOL.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I struggle to get enough fat in my diet - LOL.

It's useful for my low fat, high carb days but I choose real peanut butter for my high fat, low carb days.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    smnovosad1 wrote: »
    We don't have the best eating habits as a family. We eat out a lot, which I am trying to change, and the kids eat a lot of cheap stuff like spaghetti, Mac and cheese, pizza. I always include fruit -- whatever is cheapest during the current season.

I have started to try to eat better myself, to make me healthier and to lose weight while retaining muscle. I have been buying egg whites, avocado, whole grain breads, stevia, PB2, protein powder, protein bars, Greek yogurt, almond milk, etc. I still don't have a supply of what most "healthy" people seem to have in their cupboards -- I am forever reading recipes I want to make and then I run into dates, ground flaxseed, or something else and I don't have it? But I've only been working on this for 2 months.

My problem is apparently our grocery bill went up $150 last month and my husband is upset. He blames all the "crazy" things I'm buying for the increase. The stuff I'm buying isn't mainstream and doesn't go on sale like the other stuff we get. I know people are going to say it is cheaper to cook/eat at home, but cooking/eating different things seems to be negatively impacting our budget.

I know it's all about choices, and we may have to allocate more money to food, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about how I can make healthy food more cheaply?

Thanks so much!

You don't have to eat all that stuff to be healthy. Healthy eating is making sure you meet your nutritional needs and avoid things that would be harmful to you personally.
    Whole eggs, pasta, beans, lentils, potatoes, oatmeal, regular peanut butter, tuna, bread, regular milk, cheese, chicken, fresh fruit and vegetables in season, frozen vegetables and fruit, canned vegetables and fruit all have plenty of nutrients and can fit your budget. Buy store brand or generic items. Drink mostly water. Eat more meatless meals. Plan meals and make a grocery list that you stick to. Look for things on sale or use coupons. Look at cost per serving and see if a larger container is a better deal. Reduce waste and use what you buy.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com has tasty, cost conscious recipes.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy unusual items.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Meat - whatever is on sale (chicken breast, thighs, drumsticks. Ground turkey, pork loin or chops)

Veggies-whatever is on sale. Also frozen veggies are great to keep on hand for when you are pressed for time. Even canned are okay for a rainy day.

Fruit - ditto for what was said for veggies.

Greek yogurt is great, just stick with the store brand or whatever is cheapest.

Bags of potatoes, rice and beans are super cheap and versatile for many types of meals.

I get whole grain bread from Aldi for less than $1.5 a bag. I also buy and use whole eggs as opposed to egg whites.

Like many posters have pointed out, many of your items arent really necessary to lose weight OR be healthy. Just stick to the basics and you will be good:)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    also, what better way to spend money than improving the health of yourself and your family?!

Best Quote EVER.