lunches on the go

Options
hi everyone, in the summer i essentially work from my car. this means no fridge and no microwave. there are even days where i literally need to eat lunch while driving although i generally try to stop at the park or something to eat. (the backstory - i am a social worker and i work in the community during the summer (during school i am at a school with a nice office). i hate eating in front of my clients because inevitably, they haven't eaten lunch and i really can't afford to feed them (and i'm stingy). i tell them to eat before they come but they never do.)

any ideas for easy, healthy lunches that can be put in a cooler and don't need to be heated? i have a small cooler i keep in my trunk. i'm already tired of sandwiches. some ideas i have:

hummus and pita
fruit
crackers and cheese
shrimp
tuna salad

and that's where my creativity ends.

please help out! i have no idea what to eat :(

Replies

• velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    protein bars
    yogurt and liquid yogurts
    make a salad ahead of time and use the spray dressings
    almonds
    veggies cut and put in ziplocks
    special k multi grain crackers and cracker chips
    are you in a hot area of the country? vita top muffin tops and put in dash window to heat up and will taste like fresh made muffins!
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    Options
    Invest in a thermos flask and have soup, either putting the soup in the flask or hot water and mixing it into things like cup a soup or couscous
    Cold pastas - tuna, veg, tinned fish like sardines/mackerel
    Smoked salmon with crackers
    Store bought sushi
    Try different breads for your sandwiches to keep them interesting - baguettes, pitta, wraps

Good luck!
  • cajode11
    cajode11 Posts: 7
    Options
    Bump! My fiance has the same problem with having a healthy lunch on the go... He does HVAC in Central Texas.... We have had 10 days in a row of 100 degree weather..... finally raining today. Anyways, he gets bored of sandwiches really fast and I just have time in the morning to make them interesting enough...
    I am going to try using different meats and cheeses, but I am not sure of what else he will eat to keep him away from fast foods...
  • skinnylove712
    Options
    This is kind of a sandwich, but very delicious (i've eaten one for 6 days so far, and can't get enough). Additionally, I've never been one to try "healthy" things because I'm scared they won't be good. I combined two recipes from Jillian Michaels to get the following:

Whole wheat tortilla with turkey, sliced mozzeralla cheese, tomato, spinach leaves, and carrots. As a mayo substitute, I've been using hummus or mashed avocado.