Wedding dress doesn't fit :(

Options
So I'm a size 16 currently and my size 14 wedding dress doesn't fit and I'm freaking out. I have 6 months to go :'(

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You're logging food, so that's a good start. You have only logged for a week straight, so it's too early to give you much advice other than you might need to cut back on the fast food (only due to you having a deadline and a small calorie goal).

You might want to consider an alternate dress just in case. You will most likely be busy with wedding stuff and your diet may suffer. Having a dress that does fit currently is going to take a lot of pressure off of you.
  • chinny88
    chinny88 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was logging constantly and had a slip lol, that's how iv lost a stone so far x
  • chinny88
    Options
    Weigh in is on Mondays so will see if anymore tomorrow :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well 6 months is a decent amount of time. But sometimes the difference between a side 14 and 16 is a decent amount of weight. Is there are room for the dress to be let out, just in case? You can see where you are in about 4 months and still have time to have it altered if you don't think you'll make it.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Are you a 16 in "regular" clothes or 16 for the dress itself? You've gotten some good advice so far, and I agree that you should consider a backup dress just in case this one can't work in the end.

~Lyssa
  • chinny88
    Options
    No pretty sure no room in the dress looked at it very closely :D
  • chinny88
    Options
    I work at KFC NIGHTMARE
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    chinny88 wrote: »
    I work at KFC NIGHTMARE

I worked at a burrito place in college. I was a little blimp lol

• I_am_there
    I_am_there Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You should know that wedding dresses tend to be smaller than the street clothes in that size. My size 5/7 daughter couldn't fit into a size 10 wedding dress. I had to go up 2 dress sizes for mine. Hopefully yours is more realistic than the ones I found! Maybe do your measurements and the dress measurements to see how many inches need to go?
  • chinny88
    Options
    That's a very good idea hun thankyou :)
  • I_am_there
    I_am_there Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Btw, sometimes you can change the back from a zipper to a corset-lace style to give more room too if this is The Dress for you! :)
  • chinny88
    Options
    I'm UK so things seem to be a little different but yes I get you and you make a valid point
  • chinny88
    Options
    I_am_there wrote: »
    Btw, sometimes you can change the back from a zipper to a corset-lace style to give more room too if this is The Dress for you! :)

Unfortunately it's already a corset, no doubt about it I need to get motivated :D
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When I bought my wedding dress the zip wouldnt do up. Rather than worry about trying to fit into it the seamtress put in a lace up back insert. It looked great and took any pressure off losing or gaining weight. It also made what was a kinda plain dress look better.

6 months is plenty of time to lose enough weight to go down a size though. Not sure where you are from but I was creeping into a AUS18 and now a AUS14, it took 3 months of very committed eating and exercise. I did a Michelle Bridges food & exercise program (Australian version of Jillian Michaels) which helped enormously. I lost about 11kg or 24pds over that time. The 12 week program was a great kickstart and since I forked out $200 to do it I was determined to make the most of it. (It came with recipes, shopping lists and exercise videos for all sorts of levels, locations etc)
  • chinny88
    Options
    When I bought my wedding dress the zip wouldnt do up. Rather than worry about trying to fit into it the seamtress put in a lace up back insert. It looked great and took any pressure off losing or gaining weight. It also made what was a kinda plain dress look better.

6 months is plenty of time to lose enough weight to go down a size though. Not sure where you are from but I was creeping into a AUS18 and now a AUS14, it took 3 months of very committed eating and exercise. I did a Michelle Bridges food & exercise program (Australian version of Jillian Michaels) which helped enormously. I lost about 11kg or 24pds over that time. The 12 week program was a great kickstart and since I forked out $200 to do it I was determined to make the most of it. (It came with recipes, shopping lists and exercise videos for all sorts of levels, locations etc)

I'm UK. My dress is already lace up x
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Wedding dresses run small. That 14 is probably closer to a street size 10/12.

Personally I would forget about focusing on weight and just go for inches. Put the dress on, find out how far off you are and hit the gym.
  • rmnc0427
    rmnc0427 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi chinny88! I have 3 months till my wedding day! I'm going tomorrow to try on dresses and I am freaking out! I'm dreading the comments from my family mainly! Just been trying to avoid this but since my sister booked the appointment I gotta do it now...
  • chinny88
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    Wedding dresses run small. That 14 is probably closer to a street size 10/12.

Personally I would forget about focusing on weight and just go for inches. Put the dress on, find out how far off you are and hit the gym.

Great plan I'm gonna do exactly that tomorrow:)
    Tho I won't be hitting the gym because I have no money, wedding has made me poor :D walking and fitness dvds it is ')
  • chinny88
    Options
    rmnc0427 wrote: »
    Hi chinny88! I have 3 months till my wedding day! I'm going tomorrow to try on dresses and I am freaking out! I'm dreading the comments from my family mainly! Just been trying to avoid this but since my sister booked the appointment I gotta do it now...

Good luck it's so much fun x
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Did you purposely buy a gown a few sizes too small?

Alterations for wedding gowns need to start about 6-8 weeks before you need it -- so you really only have 4 months.

I think you need to find a dress that fits you right now and have it altered around 8 weeks out from your wedding.