Trying to change my life for the better

Hi Everyone! My name is Sherrie. Fairly new to MFP and have been at it now for 63 days. I am still learning things and need advice from time to time. My latest hurdle is sodium as I seem to really bloat if I go over my daily limit and, if I do, I don't seem to loose much weight if any at all. Today, I had some fat free thinly shaved roast beef and when I went to add it to my food diary (yes, after I had already eaten it) it was like 1,200 mg just for 4 slices. I was in shock! The rest of my lunch was fruits and veggies but I am already over my limit by 600mg on sodium and haven't even had dinner yet. Any suggestions on low cal/low sodium dinner or snack ideas? This has me so frustrated and I can't keep going over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Were you told to watch your sodium intake?
  • Bibia2418
    Bibia2418 Posts: 80 Member
    Sometimes it is difficult to stay under. Things happen.
    Reading labels before hand really helps and drinking a little extra water may help with the bloating. It's good that you owned it and now you can move on! Just make sure you don't add any extra salt to anything, more fruits and veggies and maybe a grilled meat of some kind with something like Mrs. Dash or some other type of seasoning that doesn't add more sodium! Best of luck to you!! You've got this!
  • SassyMama70
    SassyMama70 Posts: 13 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

No..I just know it's always been a problem. I'm on a diuretic as well as the lowest dose of bp meds cut in half. I'm trying to get off both completely.
  • SassyMama70
    sssheets wrote: »

No..I just know it's always been a problem. I'm on a diuretic as well as the lowest dose of bp meds cut in half. I'm trying to get off both completely.

I am just going by the MFP daily recommended amount and I'm trying to stay within that every day.
  • SassyMama70
    Bibia2418 wrote: »
    Sometimes it is difficult to stay under. Things happen.
    Reading labels before hand really helps and drinking a little extra water may help with the bloating. It's good that you owned it and now you can move on! Just make sure you don't add any extra salt to anything, more fruits and veggies and maybe a grilled meat of some kind with something like Mrs. Dash or some other type of seasoning that doesn't add more sodium! Best of luck to you!! You've got this!

Yes, I agree. I know I should have read the label better on the roast beef but just focused on the fat free part. Water helps with bloating? Who knew..seems like the opposite would happen. I try not to add any extra salt now to things I make. I will have to try Mrs. Dash...thanks so much for this info!!!
  • queenliz99
    Cooking from scratch is a good way to control sodium intake.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399222/sodium-intake-nejm-article
  • SassyMama70

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399222/sodium-intake-nejm-article

Oh I have to agree with you there. The hubby offered to take me out to dinner last night and, I declined. As a compromise I had a very romantic candlelight dinner for him instead. All he said was woman, you are so cute and I am proud of you. Gotta say...wasn't hating that!
  • ldw123086
    ldw123086 Posts: 34 Member
    Feel free to add me :)
  • queenliz99
    sssheets wrote: »

Oh I have to agree with you there. The hubby offered to take me out to dinner last night and, I declined. As a compromise I had a very romantic candlelight dinner for him instead. All he said was woman, you are so cute and I am proud of you. Gotta say...wasn't hating that!

There you have it!! Awesome!!