Wedding dress doesn't fit :(

Options

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    also, if push comes to absolute shove, they can extend the sides of the filler panel in your corset back with fabric taken from your hemming (dresses are also made waaay too long) and add longer ribbons

Does the hip portion of the skirt fit?
  • kuranda10
    Options
    rmnc0427 wrote: »
    Hi chinny88! I have 3 months till my wedding day! I'm going tomorrow to try on dresses and I am freaking out! I'm dreading the comments from my family mainly! Just been trying to avoid this but since my sister booked the appointment I gotta do it now...

How is this working? My dress took 7 months from order to come in.
  • chinny88
    chinny88 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    rmnc0427 wrote: »
    Hi chinny88! I have 3 months till my wedding day! I'm going tomorrow to try on dresses and I am freaking out! I'm dreading the comments from my family mainly! Just been trying to avoid this but since my sister booked the appointment I gotta do it now...

How is this working? My dress took 7 months from order to come in.

Mine too
  • chinny88
    chinny88 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Did you purposely buy a gown a few sizes too small?

Alterations for wedding gowns need to start about 6-8 weeks before you need it -- so you really only have 4 months.

I think you need to find a dress that fits you right now and have it altered around 8 weeks out from your wedding.
    I'm gonna see what scales say tomorrow if iv lost I'm gonna leave it and hope and pray if iv put on I'm gonna cry and found a new
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You might add weight training to your weight loss program and see if you can get a little bit of recomp going, too- sometimes a little shift in shape is all it takes to get that gown to fit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You might add weight training to your weight loss program and see if you can get a little bit of recomp going, too- sometimes a little shift in shape is all it takes to get that gown to fit.

I second the suggestion for weight training or, if you don't have the resources for it, bodyweight training. Strong Curves has a 12 week bodyweight training program and Breton Contreras, the author, has put a pdf online that you can get for free (Google "strong curves pdf".) Incorporating resistance training is going to help shape your body, which will help, along with your weight loss, you get into the dress.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was pregnant when I got married so I was getting bigger. I got a dress as close to the wedding as I could.
    I would aim for a reasonable goal of not more than 1-2 lbs a week but realize as you lose weight you may not lose inches where you need to to make that particular dress fit and look good. It took 20 lbs before I needed one size smaller top, my hips are about the same, my waist is still in a bigger size than my hips even though I've lost 5" there so I couldn't have said I would be down 2 sizes in 6 months for something important and hard to change last minute.
    There are a lot of great dresses in all sizes. Find an acceptable dress alternative closer to the size you are now that you could get altered closer to the wedding or choose a more forgiving style.
  • B00kw0rm09
    B00kw0rm09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in a slightly similar boat. My wedding is 4 months away. My dress doesn't zip up like the last inch (last I checked, which was August). I've lost 5 pounds since then, and would like to lose more. But in the event that doesn't happen (but I'm very motivated lol) the seamstress assured me it could be let out. Maybe with a combo of diet and alterations magic, you'll be okay.
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I had 4 months to drop a dress size to fit into my wedding dress and I did it so you can do it in 6 months! Drink lots of water, exercise regularly and weigh your food.
    Good luck!
  • tingutz
    tingutz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Going through the same thing myself. I bought my dress a size smaller and freaked out when I realized the wedding was around the corner. I just had my fitting, and while it was still snug, it was a big PHEW moment when it zipped up. I was able to lose 7 lbs in 2 and a half months. Just be really disciplined with going to the gym and logging in. When I can't go to the gym I made sure I ate decent. Lately I find that just doing good with my diet has been enough to keep me from gaining weight. I had sugar- sweet tooth issues. Good luck!

This is the quote that helped keep me going: "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now"
  • Amblonyx
    Amblonyx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Six months is plenty of time if you commit. I'm also trying to lose for my wedding so feel free to add me for motivation!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    so get moving gal! Lots of walking, do they offer Bridal bootcamp in Britian? It's a thing here in Canada. If you are motivated you can knock this right out of the park. You have a date and a goal GO TO IT!
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, why are so many ladies buying dresses that don't fit? I'm not judging, I just don't understand the motivation.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I'm curious, why are so many ladies buying dresses that don't fit? I'm not judging, I just don't understand the motivation.

I think the theory is that it will provide motivation to lose weight to fit into the dress. But I always think clothes end up looking differently when you're a different size (even just one or two sizes) so it would be wickedly hard to find something amazing and flattering when you're not at your ultimate weight. That's me though. Maybe everyone else loses weight so they end up at identical proportions but just smaller. :|
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

I think the theory is that it will provide motivation to lose weight to fit into the dress. But I always think clothes end up looking differently when you're a different size (even just one or two sizes) so it would be wickedly hard to find something amazing and flattering when you're not at your ultimate weight. That's me though. Maybe everyone else loses weight so they end up at identical proportions but just smaller. :|

I'm with you on this, the guys who make my suits always say that if you're planning on gaining or losing weight that you wait before buying a suit, because who knows where the weight will come off. Dresses might be easier to take in though I guess, they don't necessarily have structured shoulders
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Wedding dresses are tricky things. You often only have one size to try on, whether it fits or not. You order based off of measurements. Depending on who is measuring and how accurate they are, it can be hard to get the right size. Add in no standard sizes, stress, excitement, pushy sales people and family, etc. Sometimes you order your proper size, and in the 6-7 months until the dress comes in you gain weight accidentally. And, yes, some people size down in hopes of motivating themselves to lose weight. I am a size 0-2. My wedding dress was a size 6.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    In my case I was getting married in the monsoon season and we had moved the date forward. I originally wanted my dress made but that was proving difficult so I went with an off the rack dress that was suitable to the weather that time of year. I live in a small city (rather remote really) which doesnt have a large range of options and didnt want the expense of flying elsewhere to find a dress. In my case it was cheaper and less stressful to buy the dress and get it altered.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

I agree. What looks good at 150lbs may not look good at 140lbs. It really depends where the weight /inches come off at.
    Any knowledgeable dress shop would advise against ordering a dress that did not fit.
    I've been fitted at high end dress shops and then at low end sample stores and none of them would recommend buying something that didn't fit . they alter the dress based upon your measurements that day . we always won't lose weight proportionally so the person could end up with an ill fitting dress because they didn't order the correct size.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    OP, one other thing to think about is undergarments. My dress fit better and needed less alterations without them. They just added bulk.

So if they are having you get into all sorts of girdles/corsets/spanx, give it a try without the extra stuff.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chinny88 wrote: »
    I'm UK so things seem to be a little different but yes I get you and you make a valid point

wedding dresses are usually a size smaller in the UK too.

you have plenty of time to lose weight, your final fitting shouldn't be until around 6 weeks before the wedding so you have at least 4 months to lose weight.