Leg pain after running

Options
I go on my exercise bike for 20mins every night and have completed body beast and t25 and I'm half way through completing t25 again so I consider myself very fit but I've just starting running and after today's run of 4 miles my calves and thighs are really hurting but why is this? I thought I'd be fine considering I do circuit training and cycling every night! Can someone explain why I'm feeling this pain?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Because you're working different muscles in a different way
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    trueblu3 wrote: »
    That's what i thought but because I'm fit and legs are strong then I thought I'd be fine

Obviously not! Stretch, plenty of water and protein, and suck it up!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... but I've just starting running and after today's run of 4 miles my calves and thighs are really hurting but why is this?

How long have you been running and how are you building up your distance?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    That's what i thought but because I'm fit and legs are strong then I thought I'd be fine

Nope.

that's like being good at bowling and therefore expecting to be good at tennis as well.

Your legs hurt because you started running multiple miles without any conditioning.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What conditioning do I need to do?

Start with shorter distances so your legs don't hurt
  • Run_for_my_life
    Run_for_my_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    proper shoes, build slow, run slow. That is my advice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What conditioning do I need to do?

Have you tried running?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I only run every Saturday and Sunday morning this was only my second weekend.. Ran 4 miles today and every weekend I'll try and go a bit further until I can do 10km. I do intense circuit training after work every night on weekdays so can only run at weekends

That would be a prime example of too much, too soon.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ^^^ Yes. Start with some shorter/easier runs first. Running is high impact, while cycling and much of T25 are low impact, so you're stressing your muscles and joints in different ways now. If you're working your legs hard every weeknight, you're going into your runs with legs that are already a bit fatigued. This will effect your running and your post-run recovery. The fact that you were able to out and run 4 miles in one shot without much of an actual running background is very positive for your ability to work up to the 10K distance. Good luck!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Nothing can prepare you for running except running. You have to start slowly no matter how athletic you are. Even folks that run several times a week for years risk injury if they suddenly increase distance too dramatically.

Plus, the weekend warrior approach is probably not going to help in the long run. Consistency is the key to running and doing it back to back days one time per week is probably not a good strategy.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cycling, you are just working your thighs. You need to start an overall lower body workout: squats, calves, and hamstring exercises. This will prevent future injury as well
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k program to gradually condition your legs and hopefully avoid injury.
  • birdiegirl73
    birdiegirl73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is also a couch to 10k app that can take you further distances. I started on couch to 5k and continued to the couch to 10k app starting at week 9 because I completed the 5k app first. Good luck
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you are only going to run twice a week, then do one run over the weekend and the other one midweek. If you actually want to get better then you should run at least three times a week. To avoid increasing distance too quickly don't increase total weekly mileage more than 10%.

Also pain/soreness is not a sign of a good or effective workout.